Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Did factory fresh 40 hp engines leak engine oil?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Did factory fresh 40 hp engines leak engine oil? Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Did factory fresh 40 hp engines leak engine oil? Reply with quote

Seriously?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Did factory fresh 40 hp engines leak engine oil? Reply with quote

Honestly I do not see why not. Or well maybe it sweat the oil out cause of all the horsepower.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
don1357
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Did factory fresh 40 hp engines leak engine oil? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Seriously?

What he said.
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Did factory fresh 40 hp engines leak engine oil? Reply with quote

I am sure some did, but was corrected at the factory before they left. Beetles were built much better than a Pinto or Monza.

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Did factory fresh 40 hp engines leak engine oil? Reply with quote

I'd bet even factory fresh Pintos and Monzas didn't leak oil.

I don't understand the question I guess.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Did factory fresh 40 hp engines leak engine oil? Reply with quote

My 1970 had 40K on it when I bought it in late 1972, and it had loose cylinder heads and it leaked oil, maybe why I got it for $1100 with dealer-added AC.

I bought my 1971 in 1976, cannot remember if it leaked oil then. I rebuilt its 1600cc DP engine in late 2016 and its only leak now is from the oil drain plug, and I'm waiting until its next oil change to use a new copper gasket there.

Maybe Glenn Ring can comment on how long - if ever- it took for his factory 1600cc engine to leak after he bought his 1974 new.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Did factory fresh 40 hp engines leak engine oil? Reply with quote

Wayne S. Johnson wrote:

No but perhaps the question should be how soon after warranty ran out did they develop leaks, seeps and weeps. If you took it in for 600 mile oil change per the book depending on competency of the mechanic a leak could be induced same for valve covers. In conversations with dealership mechanics one told me about people that would drive around on dirt roads and pack the engines with a layer of mud causing it to overheat, this was done to new cars and probably not on purpose because there were many more dirt roads back then. Now you’ve got a situation whereby you might get a leaky engine back because it had to come apart to fix.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Did factory fresh 40 hp engines leak engine oil? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Wayne S. Johnson wrote:

No but perhaps the question should be how soon after warranty ran out did they develop leaks, seeps and weeps. If you took it in for 600 mile oil change per the book depending on competency of the mechanic a leak could be induced same for valve covers. In conversations with dealership mechanics one told me about people that would drive around on dirt roads and pack the engines with a layer of mud causing it to overheat, this was done to new cars and probably not on purpose because there were many more dirt roads back then. Now you’ve got a situation whereby you might get a leaky engine back because it had to come apart to fix.

My grand dad took his potential new Bug purchase on a test drive with the VW dealer, drove up the dirt road to the top of Mt. Lemon outside Tucson AZ. a long rocky road back in the late 50's. Once the Bug made it, he bought it. It performed much better than his DeSoto on the Mt. Lemon climb.
Rugged Bugs!

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Did factory fresh 40 hp engines leak engine oil? Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Wayne S. Johnson wrote:

My grand dad took his potential new Bug purchase on a test drive with the VW dealer, drove up the dirt road to the top of Mt. Lemon outside Tucson AZ. a long rocky road back in the late 50's. Once the Bug made it, he bought it. It performed much better than his DeSoto on the Mt. Lemon climb.
Rugged Bugs!

Bug On!

Nice, at what point did it start leaking oil?
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Did factory fresh 40 hp engines leak engine oil? Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity. Did you, or somebody you know build a fresh new 40 horse that leaked oil recently? Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Did factory fresh 40 hp engines leak engine oil? Reply with quote

consvws wrote:
Just out of curiosity. Did you, or somebody you know build a fresh new 40 horse that leaked oil recently? Smile

I added sealant to the stud washers and fuel pump gaskets to deal with a few oil spots. After 3,000 miles the engine is running great.

ENGINE: TYPE 1 1600cc
CR: 7.5
CASE: AS41, CASE SAVERS, 8mm STUDS
CRANK: FORGED CHROMOLY COUNTER-WEIGHTED
RODS: MATCHED WEIGHT, STROKE 69mm
PISTONS & CYLINDERS: AA 85.5mm
HEADS: 043 OEM, 53cc
VALVE SPRINGS: HEAVY DUTY, 166 lbs.
CAM: FK41 AND ENGLE LIFTERS; LIFT .364" @1:1, DURATION 269° (240° @.050")
ROCKERS: SCAT SOLID SHAFT ROCKER ARM ASSEMBLIES
CARBS: DUAL EMPI 34MM EPC
EXAUST: HEADER 2 TIP
OIL PUMP: 26mm FULL FLOW FILTER
COOLING: DOG HOUSE, OEM TIN WITH HOVER BIT, THERMOSTAT AND FLAPS
DISTRIBUTOR: CAST IRON KUHLTEK 010 DISTRIBUTOR WITH 009 CURVE
FLYWHEEL: SCAT - 12.5 LB. CHROME MOLY FORGED 200MM, 8 DOWEL
IGNITION: DELTA MARK TEN, CDI, 42,000 VOLTS; IN/OUT SWITCH
INSTREMENTS: FUEL MANAGEMENT COMPUTER; REAL TIME MPG, MPH, DISTANCE AND FUEL; 28 MPG @ 65 MPH
DIGITAL VOLT METER, DIGITAL DIP STICK OIL TEMP, ANALOG OIL PRESSURE, ANALOG OIL TEMP, RPM, CHT, FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Did factory fresh 40 hp engines leak engine oil? Reply with quote

So I’m wondering what does all this have to do with 40hp engine leaking oil ?
BruceJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Did factory fresh 40 hp engines leak engine oil? Reply with quote

Deleted, sorry. Hope I didn't offend.

Last edited by BruceJ on Fri May 10, 2019 6:51 am; edited 1 time in total
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Did factory fresh 40 hp engines leak engine oil? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
So I’m wondering what does all this have to do with 40hp engine leaking oil ?

X2
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Did factory fresh 40 hp engines leak engine oil? Reply with quote

of course they leaked when new. They didn't even have a proper color flywheel seal - it was like black or something, and not a proper mauve. Razz

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Did factory fresh 40 hp engines leak engine oil? Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Wayne S. Johnson wrote:

Rugged Bugs!

Bug On!

I bought a 62 Pontiac Catalina from the original owner. During the restoration I took about 30Lbs. of dirt/dried mud from the bottom of the car. The original owner was a Filipino who told me that he performed the rustproofing AND sound deadening himself just like he and his dad had done in the old country ( P I ) with their cars that consisted of heating gear oil ( 90W) and spraying the whole bottom of the car and then taking the car out in a dirt field for about a 1/2 hour and letting the dirt stick to the bottom of the car. The owner said that in the Philippines if you did not do this a car would rust out in less than two years.
After I separated the body from the frame I put the body on a rotisserie to pressure wash the bottom, and after about a 1/2 day of pressure washing I finally saw the factory red oxide primer hidden since 1962. There was absolutely no rust on the underside if the body.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Did factory fresh 40 hp engines leak engine oil? Reply with quote

Did 36hp engines leak when new? Inquiring minds want to know Very Happy
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Did factory fresh 40 hp engines leak engine oil? Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Wayne S. Johnson wrote:

Rugged Bugs!

Bug On!

I bought a 62 Pontiac Catalina from the original owner. During the restoration I took about 30Lbs. of dirt/dried mud from the bottom of the car. The original owner was a Filipino who told me that he performed the rustproofing AND sound deadening himself just like he and his dad had done in the old country ( P I ) with their cars that consisted of heating gear oil ( 90W) and spraying the whole bottom of the car and then taking the car out in a dirt field for about a 1/2 hour and letting the dirt stick to the bottom of the car. The owner said that in the Philippines if you did not do this a car would rust out in less than two years.
After I separated the body from the frame I put the body on a rotisserie to pressure wash the bottom, and after about a 1/2 day of pressure washing I finally saw the factory red oxide primer hidden since 1962. There was absolutely no rust on the underside if the body.

I had an '84 Vanagon years ago that didn't leak a drop of engine oil, though I did have to rebuild the clutch slave cylinder once. Used to drive it on dirt roads as well.
Anxious
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: