Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New coil issue
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnwiththree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: New coil issue Reply with quote

I recently got my 79 beetle running. While getting it going I put on a cheap coil Now that its running well I bought a Bosch to get a better one on. The car does not start with the Bosch?

As soon as I put the cheap one back on it fires right up.

What's happening here.

Thanks
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New coil issue Reply with quote

You either have it connected incorrectly or it's defective.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New coil issue Reply with quote

Are you running points or electronic controlled ignition?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
johnwiththree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: New coil issue Reply with quote

My car has been running great and just yesterday I started hearing a high pitch noise. The idle is ruff but the car is not stalling. I checked the vacum lines (all are new with hose clamps) and nothing apparent.

The car accelerates without issue and is smooth without hesitation. I am hoping to take on a longer ride this fourth of July but concerned about this noise.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: New coil issue Reply with quote

So you fixed the coil issue and now have a noise one?

Can you post a video of the engine?

Take a piece of hose, say a foot and a half, put one end to your ear and use the other end to try and pinpoint your noise.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: New coil issue Reply with quote

Not all coils are the same. Even Bosch labeled coils can have different internals.

The stock Beetle ignition system (and many aftermarket electronic ignitions) require a minimum resistance thru the primary coil winding. There should be 3.0~4.0ohms of resistance. Any less than this and you run the risk of burning points and frying electronic ignition modules.

Disconnect all wires from the coil and place an ohm meter on the #15 (+) and the #1 (-) terminals. If the reading is less than 3.0ohms you need to add an external ballast resistor to raise the resistance, or get a different coil.

Also measure the resistance between the center post and the #1 terminal. Here the resistance should be in the 5K-12Kohm range for a stock coil (this is from memory). If the resistance here is much lower or much higher (like infinite resistance) then your coil is bad.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
johnwiththree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: New coil issue Reply with quote

Yes the coil issue has been corrected (it was a defective Bosch) and after replacement it runs great.

This noise just started yesterday. I took the car for a longer drive and on the highways.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: New coil issue Reply with quote

You'll need to post a video of the noise if you want us to help. It's extremely hard to pinpoint a noise based on a broad description. Can you try using the piece of hose as I mentioned (making a homemade stethoscope) to try to find the source?
johnwiththree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: New coil issue Reply with quote

Yes I will definitely post a video tonight and will try and take a piece of hose before to see if I can identify the area the noise is coming from.

Thanks
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: New coil issue Reply with quote

Why change it if it works?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: New coil issue Reply with quote

if noise sounds as if it is whistling air from engine bay, it could be an intake leak, in which case a can or aerosol flammable carb cleaner can be squirted on the manifold joints when at idle will cause idle speed to change when sprayed on a leak.

make sure belt is properly tensioned, they can squeak it not correct, or if belt is damaged, hardened from age.

make sure no tool or other bits have fallen down near the pulley, that can make noise if it rubs on pulley.

dried failing generator bearing could make noise too

Good luck, Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
johnwiththree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New coil issue Reply with quote

I started it up and ran it for about 15 minutes and no noise at all? This past weekend was the first longer drive (about an hour) at higher speeds. The idle was low but it has a new coil so I adjusted idle speed.

I will take it out in a couple days for a long drive and see what happens. I appreciate the tip of carb fluid sorayed on intake to see if there is a leak before I take it for a ride.

Thanks will get back with a video if it reappears.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: New coil issue Reply with quote

Take a picture of the top and bottom of your Bosch coil. There are many Bosch coils. Only one is the one you want.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: