Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

She's topless! Ci Piace!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: She's topless! Ci Piace! Reply with quote

Going to try my luck installing a new top. Think
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Old top:
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: She's topless! Ci Piace! Reply with quote

Look up Chris Vallone on Youtube. He posted a series of videos a few months back detailing the MANY steps it took to install a convertible top.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: She's topless! Ci Piace! Reply with quote

What was wrong with the old top? Looks good in that pic.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: She's topless! Ci Piace! Reply with quote

mi piace molto il tuo maggiolino......

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: She's topless! Ci Piace! Reply with quote

Mr. Unpopular wrote:
Look up Chris Vallone on Youtube. He posted a series of videos a few months back detailing the MANY steps it took to install a convertible top.
Found it; that's useful info, thanks!
Dwayne1m wrote:
What was wrong with the old top? Looks good in that pic.
The old vinyl top was serviceable in my opinion, too, but after my wife saw the canvas top I put on our Ghia... well, 'nuff said. Wink Also, one of the bows had broken free from the frame (see photos), so now's a good time to get it repaired.
vamram wrote:
mi piace molto il tuo maggiolino......
Grazie!

Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: She's topless! Ci Piace! Reply with quote

Congrats, I'm really happy to see people take this on. So many posts suggest that replacing the convertible top is one job "I would never do". That it usually costs $3,000 makes me want to try. Hell, I just completely rebuilt an engine - how hard can a top be? So, please continue to share any experiences you gain from the process.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: She's topless! Ci Piace! Reply with quote

Consider welding a small gusset plate between the main frame bar and the crossbow for further strengthening of that joint. It can be a simple triangular piece of sturdy sheetmetal (~18 ga.) positioned along the inner face of the frame bar and curving maybe 1/2" outwards along the underside of the bow for sufficient contact area. Template would be easy to make using a grocery bag paper and a Sharpie marker. Do that on both sides of the crossbow. If you grind the welds down smooth and paint the gusset semi-gloss black, it should be nearly invisible even when the top is folded open.

Looks like your front top header is in excellent condition. That's a huge bonus to reuse that with your new top cover. I live near Chris Vallone's shop and usually stop by every 1-2 months to see what's doing. When he was replacing the top on the '70 Cabrio per the video, he had to replace the front header. Needed quite a bit of reshaping of the new wooden piece to get the contour right.
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: She's topless! Ci Piace! Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
.... So, please continue to share any experiences you gain from the process.
Thanks for the encouraging words, Tom! I'm old and slow, but I'll aim to post questions/progress however punctuated.
Rome wrote:
Consider welding a small gusset plate between the main frame bar and the crossbow for further strengthening of that joint. ... Looks like your front top header is in excellent condition.
That's sage advice, Rome, thanks! I lack the metal working skills but will discuss this approach with the welding shop when I drop the top frame off tomorrow morning. After dealing with the original rotten wood header on our '71 Ghia I was both surprised and pleased to find the bow on this '79 SB is all metal and rust free, so I put away the wood chisels. Dancing
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: She's topless! Ci Piace! Reply with quote

Canvas tops do look awesome and classy.
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: She's topless! Ci Piace! Reply with quote

But canvas tops are not as rain resistant as vinyl. If you are only driving on sunny days and to shows, then canvas is the choice (though your top may always be down on these sunny days). If you are thinking daily driver, including rainy days, then vinyl might work better for you.

I watched the Classic VW videos. My favorite line from Chris was something like "these Verts were leaky the day they left the factory". I think all convertible owners should be preventive in terms of moisture damage. The best step, I think, is to remove all glued-on carpets and padding from the floors and replace with carpets glued to removable gym-boards. I am in the process of doing this now.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: She's topless! Ci Piace! Reply with quote

crocteau wrote:
She's topless

So what's the big whiz about being topless?

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: She's topless! Ci Piace! Reply with quote

Awesome. I did one on my former '79 back in, say, 2005, and helped a friend do his around the same time. It was cake. Of course, I had the Convertible Specialties VHS tape to follow. Gave away the tape (extra) to someone on here and of course, I can't find the old tape I had. Wish I had it now. Please detail your progress.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: She's topless! Ci Piace! Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Consider welding a small gusset plate between the main frame bar and the crossbow for further strengthening of that joint.

All gussied up! (Both sides.) Cool
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: She's topless! Ci Piace! Reply with quote

Good. That reminds me: the frame on my 1971 Convertible had a breakage a few decades ago, think I screwed it together somehow; and not going to check this today !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: She's topless! Ci Piace! Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
crocteau wrote:
She's topless

So what's the big whiz about being topless?

Damn Cusser, can't believe I'm just seeing this now! Compliments to the Missus!!!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: She's topless! Ci Piace! Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Damn Cusser, can't believe I'm just seeing this now! Compliments to the Missus!!!

How else would I get you guys to read my posts ????
Freebirdbeachbum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: She's topless! Ci Piace! Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
vamram wrote:

Damn...I just assumed that WAS Cusser.
1972 Honda CB750 Four
1980 Honda 500CX Custom
1968 Benelli Cobra
1965 Moto Guzzi Lodola GT
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: She's topless! Ci Piace! Reply with quote

Freebirdbeachbum wrote:
Cusser wrote:
vamram wrote:

Damn...I just assumed that WAS Cusser.

Cusser himself is not typically considered good looking !!!!
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: She's topless! Ci Piace! Reply with quote

Thanks to Cusser for the hint of things to come in the way of foundation apparel Wink, in the case of Ci Piace it's the headliner and support straps. Here's an update:
From the number of hog rings that were holding the rear window pad material to the rear metal rod it was apparent that whoever installed the previous owner's vinyl replacement top had encountered some issues. Sure enough, seven of the metal tabs required to anchor the rod(s) had been broken off, and the short rods meant to hold the rear window pads in place were missing altogether. My workaround was to cut and shape some steel sheet hooks and mount them on the apron... these pictures tell the story:

While screwing the new tabs in I decided to remove the original sound deadener (both the sticky, brittle, linoleum-like stuff glued to the firewall and the ultra heavy fibrous pads) and replace it with some Dynamat and Dynaliner. Then I decided to mount the rear webbing straps like so:

Having the one-time experience of installing the headliner in our Ghia cabriolet, in anticipation of gluing the listings of the new headliner to the various bows I cranked up the Stones "Sticky Fingers" album and proceeded to wrestle those anacondas with a somewhat satisfying result:

The designer hooks work well, and after being glued and stapled to the rear wood bow the rear webbing straps play a nice bass note when strummed. All my measurements are in agreement with one or more of the four sets of instructions described in Chris Vallone's helpful youtube videos.:

Next it was time to attach the front webbing straps to the metal rod at the front of the top pad wrap material... as ugly as my stitching is I think it beats using hog rings here:

Thanks for looking; constructive comments and advice appreciated. Hold your breath and keep your fingers crossed; there's more in store!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: She's topless! Ci Piace! Reply with quote

I've never owned a convertible and can't even sew a button on a shirt, so just sending you a pat on the back, man, nice work and dedication! Enjoying your progress!

Vํctor

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: