Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

091/1 output flange refurb - Speedi Sleeve
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: 091/1 output flange refurb - Speedi Sleeve Reply with quote

i had some dripping from the output flange area of my transaxle from my 87 4 spd. turns out, it was the rubber seal on the flange had popped loose but i decided to put Speedi Sleeves on the shaft sealing surface anyway to eliminate that variable after 235k miles. SKF pn 99177 fit very well. i left the flared driving surface installed instead of trimming it off as i've had some that tear off and raise and edge. it makes a nice surface anyway. sleeve is sealded to the shaft with Kuril K2 but is such a tight stretch fit anyway i don't think anything would ever leak thru. SKF wanted sealer on it.

first, the flange seal surface:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Speedi Sleeve installed:

SKF part number:

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 091/1 output flange refurb - Speedi Sleeve Reply with quote

Dan, thanks for posting. I bookmarked it just incase I need to find those part numbers someday.
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 091/1 output flange refurb - Speedi Sleeve Reply with quote

Another tool for the toolbox:

SKF has a free app that helps to hone in on the correct sleeve size required
SKF Seal Select by SKF

I’ve installed speedi sleeves on stub axles a couple of times and the results have been good. What do you guys think about fitting a speedi sleeve onto the sealing surface of a 2.1 flywheel?

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 091/1 output flange refurb - Speedi Sleeve Reply with quote

done it twice. i had one installed on the sealing surface of the flex plate of an autotrans on a Weekender i had. dealer had replaced the seal only the first time, leak continued. then did the Speedi Sleeve which greatly reduced leakage but ultimately i think i was dealing with high crankcase pressure.

then, had one put on the flywheel of my 2.1 and that worked perfectly. this was all before i did my own work (and had a place to work on it). still have the flywheel, wasn't usable for a core but the sleeve is perfect yet. very hard surface.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 091/1 output flange refurb - Speedi Sleeve Reply with quote

just an update... 600 miles on the SpeediSleeve and a dry transaxle and consequently, a dry garage floor. you can see from my first photos that it didn't take much of a groove to have seepage. pretty chuffed because every VW i've had has had a drop hanging 'down there'.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
Westaru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 091/1 output flange refurb - Speedi Sleeve Reply with quote

DanHoug,

Thanks for this post! I did CV joints, seals, and the works a few weeks ago and still had a drip. Installed the speedi sleeves you posted above with Permatex high temp sleeve retainer (as well as the anerobic activator) and I'm finally drip free in my van.

Mine is an '84 2wd FWIW.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: 091/1 output flange refurb - Speedi Sleeve Reply with quote

I need to do these. I've looked around and the sleeves are hella expensive. Dan, did you find a source for them with decent prices?

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: 091/1 output flange refurb - Speedi Sleeve Reply with quote

I ordered the last pair from rock auto; if that helps

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
ARMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: 091/1 output flange refurb - Speedi Sleeve Reply with quote

I've done this before on drive flanges with good success. The brand I've used is Shaft-Eze by Dichtomatik. The local bearing supply company had them on hand and for the time it saved they didn't seem crazy expensive. Maybe at most $15-20 each. I'm not sure where I put the part number for the ones that fit the drive flanges... You can always figure it by measure.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: 091/1 output flange refurb - Speedi Sleeve Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
I need to do these. I've looked around and the sleeves are hella expensive. Dan, did you find a source for them with decent prices?

i bought them from Amazon in 2017 for $29 each and i see the same PN is now about $31 each. still drip free, not leaving a single mark on the garage floor.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: 091/1 output flange refurb - Speedi Sleeve Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Last time I went looking the prices were in the over-$30 range, actually that's well below list, and I'm not a cheap bastard, but it seems a lot to pay for what it is, especially since I need two. Luckily all the manufacturers use the same p/n on these so it's easy to search. I just found them on ebay, SKF brand, for $21.70 ea., plus $10 shipping. Ordered up. Here's the link if anyone's looking.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392308290405

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 091/1 output flange refurb - Speedi Sleeve Reply with quote

Does the standard seal get used still, or is the ID of the seal ordered smaller to compensate for the sleeve?
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 091/1 output flange refurb - Speedi Sleeve Reply with quote

standard seal. but you can feel the edge of the sleeve sorta catch on the seal and it requires a good push to insert. but Speedi Sleeves are all thin enough to use the standard seal.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 091/1 output flange refurb - Speedi Sleeve Reply with quote

The "value" of the sleeve is what it provides, not the simplicity of the design or cost of manufacturing.

You buy a drill because you want a hole.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: 091/1 output flange refurb - Speedi Sleeve Reply with quote

DanHoug,
Thanks for posting this, and tencent, thanks for the link.

Any harm in using loctite as a sealer when installing? I looked up Curtil K2 and a tube is $20 and I'd probably never use it again.

I confirmed with the guy who built my transaxle that 091 CV cups are the same as 091/1 in case anyone else needs that info.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: 091/1 output flange refurb - Speedi Sleeve Reply with quote

Loctite should work fine. maybe i'd even use red. i used Loctite as a sealer for brass threaded fittings on espresso machines that would weep under hot water/steam. worked great, no drips.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
Westaru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 091/1 output flange refurb - Speedi Sleeve Reply with quote

Loctite or Permatex sleeve retainer is the correct compound to use with a speedi sleeve:

https://www.permatex.com/products/thread-compounds...-retainer/

Be sure to buy the anaerobic activator compound as well (it is required):

https://www.permatex.com/products/thread-compounds...naerobics/
Steve Marshall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: 091/1 output flange refurb - Speedi Sleeve Reply with quote

Does anyone have the part number for the speedi sleeve that works on the flywheel?
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 091/1 output flange refurb - Speedi Sleeve Reply with quote

Westaru wrote:
Loctite or Permatex sleeve retainer is the correct compound to use with a speedi sleeve:

https://www.permatex.com/products/thread-compounds...-retainer/

Be sure to buy the anaerobic activator compound as well (it is required):

https://www.permatex.com/products/thread-compounds...naerobics/

The “activator” you mentioned isn’t an activator at all, it’s simply a cleaning product. Brake clean, alcohol or gasoline would serve the same purpose giving enough time to dry. Point being is you want the materials being bonded to be completely pristine. I can only speak to Loctite brand stuff as that’s all we use at work but I believe they all have the same job in different ways. The 3 green Loctite grades we use is intended for the exact same purpose but with different use depending on tolerance (gap filling)requirements, heat too.

FYI

Brian
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: 091/1 output flange refurb - Speedi Sleeve Reply with quote

These threadlocker products are anaerobic cure, as soon as you tighten the threads, slide a sleeve on or stuff a bushing, oxygen is excluded and the liquid quickly starts to harden. That's why when you use them on threads, you need to come right up to final torque and leave it alone, because it's starting to cure before you even move the wrench away and if you reposition anything you're just breaking the adhesion and not getting the full holding strength.

The surface activator is by no means "required", their own literature says so. The PDS says it's mainly a "basic copper salt", so it's likely similar to a soldering flux, it reacts to draw out and neutralise impurities, cleaning the surfaces to allow deeper adhesion of the product. If it enhances cure rate it's probably due to neutralisation of impurities that would otherwise mix with the adhesive. Judging by the warnings about oxygen reactability, I would guess it works the opposite of the adhesive, that it's activated by oxygen, that's why it's a spray.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: