Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy Solar Wires: Where to Run Them?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Westy Solar Wires: Where to Run Them? Reply with quote

First, apologies for so many threads while we build up our new van!

I still have no way to shoot and post photos, long story, sorry.

Where did you all run your roof panel wires?

Our roof solar panel install is getting completed tomorrow. We are really happy with the work and installers so far, but they made two critical errors from never doing a Westy before. The wires have been routed but I really think they need to reroute them.

1). They drilled about a 3/4" hole towards the rear of the fiberglass roof top right through the tent rail, separating the rail and a stretch of original tent, so now there's a hole in the tent and two new screws holding the drilled rail ends on. When we do a new tent this year, it seems this will make the install much harder if not impossible, as we'd have to either unwire it or kludge the new tent to pass the existing wire;

2). They drilled a large hole through the steel roof, maybe a full inch drilled, just inside the poptop lift, and it partly nicked the lower rail and damaged the tent there as well. If water ever runs down through there, we will have a massive, quarter-panel rust issue from the inside out.

I had suggested drilling through the left-rear of the roof, above the foot of the bed to have an easy way to look for any future leaks, and then down through the plywood under the bed into the small storage area at the extreme top-left rear and onward towards the closet and bench area. Somehow that plan changed before I could stop it.

I try hard not to be "that guy" that tells my suppliers how to do their job, but wish I had this time!!! I make quick friendships with my suppliers for being a respectful guy, but am starting to think I have to be a demanding SOB to avoid the constant issues we get when hiring work out.

If we do reroute, I will have to fiberglass the existing roof hole and cap-seal the hole in the steel but would prefer that to any other option thought up so far.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Solar Wires: Where to Run Them? Reply with quote

Here is good threads about this topic
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8430995&highlight=#8430995

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8382863&highlight=#8382863

Here is a search for 'solar' regarding The Samba's gallery photos. Note, you can click the 'Search Forums for photo' next to the photo to find the 'text' in the thread regarding the photo.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jivermo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Solar Wires: Where to Run Them? Reply with quote

It is unfortunate that the installer did not heed your advice, and ended up damaging your van. At the very least, the routing hole placement should have been discussed in detail with you. The failure to recognize the pathway of the drilling, and if it might run afoul of important parts, is cause for concern about the work quality going forward. After all of your travails, I am sorry that you now have a new situation thrust upon you guys.
I will agree with you that looking to establish a “friendship” or getting a new buddy, generally does not serve your interests well in a business transaction. I happen to know you as a warm and ethical person, a truly “hail fellow, well met” type of individual. However, I would suggest the Alice Cooper path in the future, that being more of the “No More Mr. Nice Guy” school of thought, or at least maintain a serious business mien when entering into any business arrangement. Because the installer did not follow your request for the wire routing, your van is now damaged. A serious conversation needs to occur, and he needs to make it right. I hope this will occur, and you all have a satisfactory outcome.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Solar Wires: Where to Run Them? Reply with quote

Thanks Brandon, and to Syncronoid for your letter!

We really wanted a flexible panel atop the cargo box, but the installers are worried about durability flexing in the wind (panel's too wide to be flush on the flats).

Plan now is a normal Renogy 100w left of cargo box, tiltable, and removable if needing occasional use as a "portable," but that's a bit awkward in all the roof weight being so far right as to skew the roof going up and down.

Need to get this right the first time.

Thanks!

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Solar Wires: Where to Run Them? Reply with quote

Eric, sadly with each new post you are becoming the Poster child for why NOT to hire "professionals" to do work on a Van.

I didn't do solar. I haven't any answer except I've seen it fed through the fiberglass outside of the tent and then dropped through the body in the wardrobe area.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Solar Wires: Where to Run Them? Reply with quote

Keep it simple.

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Solar Wires: Where to Run Them? Reply with quote

Im not a fan of any new holes anywhere. Too bad its got several more now than it had two days ago.

Easy enough to put it down the air intake/grill in the D pillar.

Sorry to hear of yet another frustration. I keep thinking that your bound to have something go right 'next time' only to hear of further problems.

-bobby
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Solar Wires: Where to Run Them? Reply with quote

Sent these pics to E1. Wire entry points will never leak as they are directly under the solar panel, on the raised portion of the poptop, sealed with tight rubber grommets and some silicone caulk.

E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Solar Wires: Where to Run Them? Reply with quote

Thanks, Jivermo. Bewildering thing is, my approach to business has served me extremely well in the Arts, but clearly not with mechanical types. Where that solution lies is yet to be determined, I give benefits of doubts but sadly we live in a time when candor is often seen as threatening. Methodology adjustments need consideration, and Thanks as always for yours.

Dj, I hear that. I hesitate posting these things for being misinterpreted as being of my doing. As far as doing all these things myself, I often cannot in our situation. If we live in an era where we cannot trust that anyone know's WTF they're doing, that is one sad statement of current times. Over my 44 years in business, I give what I say but am starting to feel like the Lone Ranger and that's a world I have little interest living in.

Benandmj, Thanks for the photos. We're trying to keep the install as unobtrusive as possible, mostly as we live in this thing, plus other interior routes have been cut and they are acceptable and done cleanly. But I appreciate the input!

Bobby, Thanks as always. We cross a hurdle to have more show up. I guess this is what happens trying to cram a multi-year build into a few months... but like the haircutting thing on Wayne's World, "It sure does suck!" Laughing

Syncronoid, just saw your post but yet to check the email... Thanks!

We have sand ladders below our rack, that'll be below the panel, but your solution is awesome and very close to what I'm thinking! The only difference is our being likely to drill the fiberglass straight above your entry through the bed floor.

The roof panel has a small mounting bracket with two connectors that covers the fiberglass and holes below it. Your solution is really close to what was intended, Thank You!

— Colin Chapman
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Solar Wires: Where to Run Them? Reply with quote

I am non-committal on my solar wires routing (no drill yet)
I put 2x 25W panels on for a trip last summer (Syncro Safari).......fully intending to clean up the install someday.
I used an old 12ga ext cord, appx 15 feet long. It's 24volts.

It goes into the van thru the old propane hole for the refrigerator. To the Victron controller.

When you guys get it figured out where it's best to drill, I'll be paying attention. In the meantime I'll be under the van drilling upward into some transaxle housing or whatever.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Solar Wires: Where to Run Them? Reply with quote

Thanks Man, I'll let everyone know what we do.

Just spoke to a new camp neighbor in a Skoolie. He's a career electrician, and appalled by looking at this. Regardless, I do have faith in this installation and giving the benefit of doubt here. But there's no way the wiring path will remain as it is now.

Send Good Vibes for the install to finish well. We're still not "back on the road" by a long shot.

— Colin Chapman
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Solar Wires: Where to Run Them? Reply with quote

I can finally shoot quickie images to post here. Cool

Wire and rooftop entry behind the stock poptop lift, seen on bottom left

Hole drilled through poptop rail:

— Colin Chapman
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Solar Wires: Where to Run Them? Reply with quote

Eek. That is pretty brutal. Mistakes happen, but you have every right to be unhappy.
Some people call him Maurice...
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Solar Wires: Where to Run Them? Reply with quote

Yeah Boy.........

Gotta let them finish.

Gotta believe they felt rushed on a Saturday and felt pressured (from themselves) to finish.

Gotta buy more aspirin.

Gotta believe the Earth is indeed flat.

But I do believe they know their business beyond this, other indicators are encouraging when focusing on them.

Thanks.

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Solar Wires: Where to Run Them? Reply with quote

Having noted the Bad and the Ugly, here's the Good:

— Colin Chapman
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Solar Wires: Where to Run Them? Reply with quote

HFS, back to Ugly again.

Just popped up and saw the inside of the poptop, flecking above, tent below:

— Colin Chapman
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Solar Wires: Where to Run Them? Reply with quote

Possibly the best install ever posted to Thesamba regarding solar wire routing
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=674725&highlight=solar

Wires routed at the hinge point outside of the tent. Since I am 6'2" having loose wires at the back of the poptop is asking for them to be damaged by my feet Laughing
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Solar Wires: Where to Run Them? Reply with quote

omg the poptop trim rail. That makes me cringe.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Solar Wires: Where to Run Them? Reply with quote

The Missus slept upstairs last night and saw that poptop gouge. She didn't have the heart to even tell me, and needs none of this nonsense.

Gruppe, thanks for that pic, looks very good.

— Colin Chapman
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Solar Wires: Where to Run Them? Reply with quote

In a nutshell, I took the wires from the roof panels, went through the roof (under one of the panels) and hugged, the flocked surface in the poptop to the rear driver side corner, then down through the sheet metal (grommeted of course) and into the D pillar, then down to the area under the fridge where the charge controller lives.

Through many ups/downs of the poptop, no problem. Also, nobody has caught a toe on the wires.

kourt
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: