Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone ever replace inner rear wheel well?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Anyone ever replace inner rear wheel well? Reply with quote

71 bus. It seems no one makes the inner metal. It looks like it is the same contour as the outer. Anyone ever replace this? Could I just buy two outer panels and use one for the inner (possibly with slight mods)? I cut out a wheel well from a 70 bus but the inner part is different (the inner panel doesn’t start until about 6” up in the wheel well whereas the 71 the inner panel comes all the way down to the end of the outer panel).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever replace inner rear wheel well? Reply with quote

no idea but from the fiche it looks like the inner well is part of the wheel tub.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever replace inner rear wheel well? Reply with quote

Ouch.. that appears to be serious salt induced rust. If that arch looks like that, what's the rest of the bus look like?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever replace inner rear wheel well? Reply with quote

The simple answer is yes, with modification an outer arch skin is a better start than a flat sheet of steel. But before you start fabricating, look honestly at the rest of the tub, particularly in line with the tyre - you may end up with so many patch repairs you could look back and see a whole tub would have produced a better result with less effort. That's assuming you can still find a tub without a crippling $price attched.

That's as far as I took it. Hopefully the owner painted it. I suspected he woul make a mess of the filling so I shaped it but didn't really bother to get a finish as I wasn't supposed to be filling. Thing is I wouldn't want someone making my panel work look bad and once up to speed it doesn't take long. Smile
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever replace inner rear wheel well? Reply with quote

Same bus. Don't be put off by cries of "eek that's rusty!". Once you cut out all the rust it will look a whole lot better. Smile

The tight-wad owner supplied a disgusting cheap arch - what can you do?!!
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever replace inner rear wheel well? Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Ouch.. that appears to be serious salt induced rust. If that arch looks like that, what's the rest of the bus look like?

The rest of the bus is extremely dry. No rust in any floors, lower nose etc. there is a small amount of rust in the right rocker and in the right side just in front of the rear wheel well. The left side sat facing a busy street as the bus was used as an eye catcher for a business. The left side is bad but really only this part looks this bad. The middle section and front door will need some patching too but this is the worst spot.

Zed, appreciate the photos. That’s exactly what I needed. Thank you!
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever replace inner rear wheel well? Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

The rest of the bus is extremely dry. No rust in any floors, lower nose etc. there is a small amount of rust in the right rocker and in the right side just in front of the rear wheel well. The left side sat facing a busy street as the bus was used as an eye catcher for a business. The left side is bad but really only this part looks this bad. The middle section and front door will need some patching too but this is the worst spot.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever replace inner rear wheel well? Reply with quote

busmania wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

That's good news! Usually when they are that rusted in one spot, the rest of the buses metal looks equally as rusted up.
While I like to see every bus saved, there's been too many badly RUSTED east coast bay buses that folks tried to fix and should of been scrapped vs. spending 100's if not thousands of hours on. The vast majority of these rusty projects never get completed and are usually scrapped at the end anyway.

Until all the mostly rust free buses from the non snowy, salted roads states are consumed, I'd always recommend buying one of those vs. folks trying to bring a fatal cancer victim bus back to life.

There's still thousands of these bay buses in the dry SW USA looking for love and owners to get them restored and back on the roads.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever replace inner rear wheel well? Reply with quote

...whereas in the slushy salty UK the kind of rust in my pics is typical. If it needs repairs deep into the structure all round the lower 12", new front panel, window surrounds, a set of doors imported from the good old USA (you are blessed), it's 300-350 hours just grinding and welding. Here, as long as the gutters were good we'd fix anything. Very Happy But that was then...

I simply wouldn't do it now because of the scarcity and price of good panels has ruined the equation. 10-15 years ago genuine front arches complete were £50 for 2 at one point, rust free cab doors complete with all fixtures £150 a pair, disc to disc rust free front beams for £80, whole genuine rear corners for £80, valances and deformation panels etc etc. These panels were top notch quality and fit and only the rear arches were a problem quality - wise. The price of most of this stuff has risen 10 fold or more now if you can even source them and nobody's wages seem to have risen at all.
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever replace inner rear wheel well? Reply with quote

I would have passed on this bus if it wasn’t so dry in the rest of the bus. Being a 71 (tied for favorite bay window year with 72), Sierra yellow (favorite bus color) and a deluxe (always owned campers but now I have kids) that is 99% complete and original I couldn’t say no when my offer was originally rejected but then accepted 2 weeks later. I’ve been looking for the right deluxe for at least 3-4 years now.

Engine is out and getting cleaned up and resealed by me now. Then I’ll clean up the engine bay and transmission and replace all shifter parts and get it running again. Then I’ll move to the body but I’m trying to gather parts and make a plan of attack now for that parts I need.

What year bus are those photos from?
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever replace inner rear wheel well? Reply with quote

I’m in the same predicament. I have the outer, but the tub no longer exists on the market for a ‘71. Maybe a piece of a late bay tub will do or as you said, modify another outer. Problem is, the wheel arch panel is kind of expensive to be cutting up. If you have any luck, please share your results.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever replace inner rear wheel well? Reply with quote

I have a 71 I'm chopping up for another project with good metal in that area. PM me if interested.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever replace inner rear wheel well? Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
I have a 71 I'm chopping up for another project with good metal in that area. PM me if interested.
pm sent
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever replace inner rear wheel well? Reply with quote

this is what you need

https://www.vwheritage.com/221801561j-inner-rear-wheel-housing-inc-tub-for-the-left-side-vw-spare

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever replace inner rear wheel well? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
this is what you need

https://www.vwheritage.com/221801561j-inner-rear-wheel-housing-inc-tub-for-the-left-side-vw-spare
Will that fit a ‘71 though?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever replace inner rear wheel well? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/type2guide/type2guide.pdf

H fits a 1971

busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever replace inner rear wheel well? Reply with quote

Looks like the right overall shape (I’ve studied mine closely). I only need the tiny bit (maybe 2” or so) on the top part of the wheel well. Appreciate every ones help thus far.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever replace inner rear wheel well? Reply with quote

there are minor differences but it will work

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever replace inner rear wheel well? Reply with quote

this is what you need

busmania wrote:
Looks like the right overall shape (I’ve studied mine closely). I only need the tiny bit (maybe 2” or so) on the top part of the wheel well. Appreciate every ones help thus far.

If all you need is the lower edge invest in this: https://www.harborfreight.com/metal-shrinkerstretcher-set-68897.html
Something like this: https://www.harborfreight.com/body-and-fender-set-7-pc-63259.html
And some of these: https://www.harborfreight.com/aviation-snips-3-pc-62157.html
Get a 1/2 sheet of 20 ga uncoated steel and get to work, you'll f' up most of the sheet learning, but you'll get enough useable sections to graft in out of the wreckage. It's the only way to learn and you'll use the tools for other things later.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever replace inner rear wheel well? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
this is what you need

busmania wrote:

If all you need is the lower edge invest in this: https://www.harborfreight.com/metal-shrinkerstretcher-set-68897.html
Something like this: https://www.harborfreight.com/body-and-fender-set-7-pc-63259.html
And some of these: https://www.harborfreight.com/aviation-snips-3-pc-62157.html
Get a 1/2 sheet of 20 ga uncoated steel and get to work, you'll f' up most of the sheet learning, but you'll get enough useable sections to graft in out of the wreckage. It's the only way to learn and you'll use the tools for other things later.

I’ve never been one to shy away from learning something new and buying new tools. I already have links 2 and 3. Now I just need the metal shrinker. Hmmmm, maybe I will take that route. Shouldn’t be a difficult piece to make. I’ll cut out the outter panel rust and then asses the under panel and then decide which route to take.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: