Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headlight trouble
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
car barn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Headlight trouble Reply with quote

Maybe you guys can help me reason something out. The high beam (white wire with black stripe) on the passenger side won't illuminate. Low beam (yellow wire with black stripe) does work. Both high/low work fine on driver's side. I switched the lamps between sides, same problem, so both lamps are good. The third and forth fuses from the left are good. I cleaned the contact points in the plug multiple times. The fender lamps and turn signals all work good. I figure if the low beam works then the ground is good.  So it's just the passenger high beam that doesn't... I'm stumped.
Elroyyy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight trouble Reply with quote

I might suspect the relay but here's what I would do first:

Pull the fuses, clean up the contact points - on the fuses and box (maybe just replace them) and see if that's it.

If not, get the multi-meter/voltmeter and see if power is getting to the socket.
car barn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight trouble Reply with quote

I was thinking it might be the relay too, but after looking at the wiring diagram, it appears that it controls both sides simultaneously. So wouldn't the driver's side not work as well if the relay was bad? You guys would know better than I do about that.
I'll clean the fuse contacts and see if that helps.
Thanks.
Elroyyy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight trouble Reply with quote

car barn wrote:
I was thinking it might be the relay too, but after looking at the wiring diagram, it appears that it controls both sides simultaneously. So wouldn't the driver's side not work as well if the relay was bad?

That makes sense, but I can’t say with any certainty.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight trouble Reply with quote

Each headlight bulb is powered by two fuses; one for high and one for low (4 total).
Look for corrosion at the tips of the fuses and at the connections to the fuse panel.
Also, sometimes the female terminals become fatigued and loose. Usually a gentle squeeze with a pliers will restore a tight positive connection.

If you don't find any faults, check the connections at the headlight bulb.
Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight trouble Reply with quote

Get out the multimeter and check to see if you have power at the headlight terminal with the high beam on then work your way back.

Check your grounds too-inside front of the trunk area.
car barn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight trouble Reply with quote

Duh... it was corrosion on fuse box contacts. I'm such a idiot sometimes. Thanks for the help.
Elroyyy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight trouble Reply with quote

Don't be so hard on yourself. Sometimes it just takes a different perspective to figure out a situation; forest for the trees, as it were.

Glad you got it sorted.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight trouble Reply with quote

car barn wrote:
Duh... it was corrosion on fuse box contacts. I'm such a idiot sometimes. Thanks for the help.

I prefer the fuses with the brass strips over the ones with the zinc strips, less corrosion of the fuse and less corrosion of the terminals of the fuse box. I use the tiniest bit of dielectric grease on the ends of the fuses and once every year or so, I spin each fuse around a few rotation to polish the contact surfaces a bit.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: