Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Powering a 60 single cab vs. an early bay
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ozzmonaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Powering a 60 single cab vs. an early bay Reply with quote

I wasn't sure exactly where to post this.

I have a 60 SC which is far from being road ready, and a 69 camper that is currently an almost daily driver. While looking for parts for the SC locally, I came across a killer deal on a rebuilt 1776 with 110 cam and cb 044 heads, tri-mil exhaust, full-flow, lightened flywheel,etc. I couldn't turn it down and thought it might do some good in the 60.

However, my 69 has a low miles rebuilt 1600 SP. It pulls the van well, but given that the 60 has the reduction gears, I'm curious what would be beneficial in each vehicle. Would the potential of the 1776 even be useful with reduction gears? I am thinking of a freeway flier in it before all is done. But it seems like with the 69 trans, I might get more use from the 1776 in it, and maybe the 1600 will be just as good in the 60. But I want to use the SC as an actual truck for hauling, etc.

Any ideas, views, and experiences are welcome. The camper obviously weighs a bit more, but I also don't really load it down, whereas the truck may need some power for my intentions.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Powering a 60 single cab vs. an early bay Reply with quote

If you are not changing the stock gearing in the 1960, then the 1600 is best for it.

You will need to get a stock weight FW for the 1776 either way.
ozzmonaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Powering a 60 single cab vs. an early bay Reply with quote

So I can't use the lightened flywheel in my 69?
ozzmonaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Powering a 60 single cab vs. an early bay Reply with quote

Also planning on a freeway flier for the 60 but keeping RGB's in place
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Powering a 60 single cab vs. an early bay Reply with quote

ozzmonaut wrote:
So I can't use the lightened flywheel in my 69?

Would not use a lightened FW in any bus.

Knew a fellow in the vintagebus list, who built his dream engine with big P&Cs, high RPM cam, big valves and lightened FW. About six months later he was offering up all the big HP parts up for trade for stock components. He was just so tired of having to rev up the engine so much to be able to take off from a stop and not have the engine stall out.

Unless you are going to weekly do the drag strip, the bus as a daily driver does better with not so high of HP engine and much higher torque instead.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Powering a 60 single cab vs. an early bay Reply with quote

Did a search of the split bus forum for "Lightened Flywheel" and checked the "Search Titles Only" box.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...=titleonly
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Powering a 60 single cab vs. an early bay Reply with quote

Some people are running lighten flywheels on busses. Especially the strokers. Even my busses 74mm crank is way heavier than a stock crank.
I like the heavy flywheel though. The thing to do on these buses is to give them all the help you can, they need torque. So the Stroker and the 88 bore at least what will fit in a stock case and a little cam and some dual carbs and all of the sudden they are so much nicer to drive everywhere!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Powering a 60 single cab vs. an early bay Reply with quote

ozzmonaut wrote:

I am thinking of a freeway flier in it before all is done.

Thinking and doing are two different things.
ozzmonaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Powering a 60 single cab vs. an early bay Reply with quote

I need to change the flywheel to stock 6v if it goes in the 60 anyways, to mate to the trans. I was going to see how the trans in it does, since the condition is unknown now. But the freeway flier is most likely to happen. I originally was only going to use the truck around town. But now I think I might need to take the highway some. I don't have much money invested in the SC, so it won't hurt to get a FF for it. Don't really have any money in my 69 either though. And the 1776 set me back $500. I would like to use it in the truck since it will be further from being all original than the camper, and the camper already takes the highway just fine. I'm not even too stoked on the CB 044 heads and 110 cam. I'd much rather have it be a single port with a stock cam.

Seems like half of the stories are horror stories about 1776 SPs, and the other half are about having amazing torque and better heat handling.
ozzmonaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Powering a 60 single cab vs. an early bay Reply with quote

The 1776 has a counterweighted crank as well, in case that helps.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Powering a 60 single cab vs. an early bay Reply with quote

CW crank will help run the engine smoother, but not so much for torque when starting off. FW has a lot of weight out at the rim that helps with that take off from a stop.

Get the 200mm 6 volt FW. The 180mm clutch with the standard 6 volt FW will not last as long in a bus/truck.
ozzmonaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Powering a 60 single cab vs. an early bay Reply with quote

I plan to use the Kennedy clutch that came with the engine, since it is almost new, so 200mm was the plan. I've been trying to reach mofoco on their site and on here to ask about the 200mm 6v FW, to make sure I select the right one. I will need to have it 8-doweled as well. But they never answer. I may just go ahead and order, but the fact that I can't get in touch with anyone there makes it hard to send money.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Powering a 60 single cab vs. an early bay Reply with quote

ozzmonaut wrote:
I plan to use the Kennedy clutch that came with the engine, since it is almost new, so 200mm was the plan. I've been trying to reach mofoco on their site and on here to ask about the 200mm 6v FW, to make sure I select the right one. I will need to have it 8-doweled as well. But they never answer. I may just go ahead and order, but the fact that I can't get in touch with anyone there makes it hard to send money.

Stock 200 mm clutch parts should work fine.
ozzmonaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Powering a 60 single cab vs. an early bay Reply with quote

This is the one I was going to order:
https://www.mofoco.com/item/MOFOCO_200MM_6VOLT_STOCK_RESURFACED_GERMAN_FLYWHEEL/738/c131
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Powering a 60 single cab vs. an early bay Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
ozzmonaut wrote:
I plan to use the Kennedy clutch that came with the engine, since it is almost new, so 200mm was the plan.

Stock 200 mm clutch parts should work fine.
I had a Kennedy Stage 1 pressure plate in our '59 Transporter, and replaced it with stock 200mm because I got tired of the stiff clutch pedal. It's better suited for a fast bug.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ozzmonaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Powering a 60 single cab vs. an early bay Reply with quote

I was wondering about that. It's hard to tell without the engine in. I think the stock clutch setup might be better too. I don't need tired ankles from driving.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Powering a 60 single cab vs. an early bay Reply with quote

I bought a Kennedy Stage 2 for our bus but found out it would be too much clutch for the bushings etc so got a Sachs 200mm Diaphragm clutch which is now burned out a little on the verge anyhow! It Depends on what your doing for an engine. I think a stock engine, a stock 1600 would be ok with the Sachs, They are a very easy to push in clutch. But I managed to burn mine pretty bad one day when I was trying to avoid oncoming traffic. The 1.8L Type 1 engine with dual dells and a cam are too much for a Diaphragm Sachs! Ok though unless you get into a panic take off!
ozzmonaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Powering a 60 single cab vs. an early bay Reply with quote

Will the 200mm 6v 109-tooth flywheel work for the o-ring crankshafts?
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Powering a 60 single cab vs. an early bay Reply with quote

Call mofoco & ask.

If not... I bought an o-ring 8 dowel 200mm with 6v ring gear. I think they machine off the 12v ring gear & weld on a 6v one.
http://dprmachine.com/products/flywheels-2/
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Powering a 60 single cab vs. an early bay Reply with quote

Did a search of all forums for "O-ring crank" and checked the "Titles Only" box, and got this among four results:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=653649&highlight=o-ring+crank
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: