Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swap trans and motor from 1989 into 1983?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghiafreek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:48 am    Post subject: Swap trans and motor from 1989 into 1983? Reply with quote

Can I do this without any complicated issues. Came into a loaner manual 1989 carat and would like to swap out auto trans and motor in my 1983( not running) for the 1989 carat ( running). What's are your thoughts on ease of swap?
thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: complete swap trans and motor 1983 for 1989? Reply with quote

for starters, you'll have to pull the wiring loom for the ECU from the 89 to make the digifant system work. then there is the auto tranny wiring and the coolant system changes to be addressed.

not a simple unbolt the old, bolt in the new.

BiWerks Design, LLC
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: complete swap trans and motor 1983 for 1989? Reply with quote

IMO this is a 'if you have to ask" you probably shouldn't do it.
how can we properly assess your ability, your skill set, your willingness to see it through, your garage facility or the patience of a friend/spouse/parent.

will the parts swap, sure the chassis isn't standard or automatic specific.

there are MANY parts that will need to be swapped over, including some of the ignition & starter wiring as well as the reverse lights circuit
then there's the shifting linkages including the bushings.

there are some other OLD threads in here on manual to auto or auto to manual swaps.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Swap trans and motor from 1989 into 1983? Reply with quote

ghiafreek wrote:
...Came into a loaner manual 1989 carat and would like to swap out auto trans and motor in my 1983( not running) for the 1989 carat ( running). What's are your thoughts on ease of swap?
thanks.

A loaner? I know if I were the one loaning you my Carat I'd be pissed if you returned it without a running engine and transmission.
ghiafreek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Swap trans and motor from 1989 into 1983? Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
ghiafreek wrote:
...Came into a loaner manual 1989 carat and would like to swap out auto trans and motor in my 1983( not running) for the 1989 carat ( running). What's are your thoughts on ease of swap?
thanks.

A loaner? I know if I were the one loaning you my Carat I'd be pissed if you returned it without a running engine and transmission.

Ha! That's funny. Thanks for all the input. Question I should of asked was answered... Not chassis specific. Perfect! Think I can handle it. I've been around VWs for quite a while now and have restored several aircooled. Just curious on interchangeability of gear. Ultimately was curious if all I need is on the sacrificed carat.
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Swap trans and motor from 1989 into 1983? Reply with quote

I'm in the middle of swapping in a manual transmission. Even though it is well documented the pedal clusters are identical. This was not the case with this conversion. We are also assuming your van is not one of the last air cooled engines.

As long as you can have both vans on hand for doing the swap, it should be fairly straightforward. The early chassis even has the cutout for the later style shift linkage. Lots of tiny details need to be addressed.
ghiafreek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Swap trans and motor from 1989 into 1983? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
I'm in the middle of swapping in a manual transmission. Even though it is well documented the pedal clusters are identical. This was not the case with this conversion. We are also assuming your van is not one of the last air cooled engines.

As long as you can have both vans on hand for doing the swap, it should be fairly straightforward. The early chassis even has the cutout for the later style shift linkage. Lots of tiny details need to be addressed.

That's correct my '83 is a waterboxer. So, safe to say since mine is watercooled the pedal cluster swap should be fairly easy?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Swap trans and motor from 1989 into 1983? Reply with quote

The auto pedal assembly is much easier to remove than the manual--by far. I don't think there's much difference between the air/diesel/WBX pedals, except that some early and late late models use a steel pedestal and some use an aluminum. If you want an easy route to swap, you can install the 2.1 engine management and exhaust, but leave the 1.9 cooling system intact, albeit with some mods to exclude the ATF cooler if there is one on the early models. Then again, since you have a complete donor, you could swap over the 2.1 coolant tubes, hoses and radiator/fan. The 2.1 cooling system is often considered to be superior. The 2.1 exhaust is definitely superior.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
ghiafreek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Swap trans and motor from 1989 into 1983? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
The auto pedal assembly is much easier to remove than the manual--by far. I don't think there's much difference between the air/diesel/WBX pedals, except that some early and late late models use a steel pedestal and some use an aluminum. If you want an easy route to swap, you can install the 2.1 engine management and exhaust, but leave the 1.9 cooling system intact, albeit with some mods to exclude the ATF cooler if there is one on the early models. Then again, since you have a complete donor, you could swap over the 2.1 coolant tubes, hoses and radiator/fan. The 2.1 cooling system is often considered to be superior. The 2.1 exhaust is definitely superior.

Sounds like a plan!
This is my route.
Thanks!
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Swap trans and motor from 1989 into 1983? Reply with quote

Hope you document it here. I enjoy a good project thread.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: