Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heavy duty aluminum push rods
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TSPayne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject: Heavy duty aluminum push rods Reply with quote

I have a new set of bug pack (dee engineering) heavy duty aluminum push rods. Cut to length style. My question is, are they strong enough for dual valve springs? Has anyone used these in a similar application? I am considering using them with a Engle 120 or fk8 camshaft.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Heavy duty aluminum push rods Reply with quote

Are they just soft, untreated aluminium? I had some SCAT ones, and they pounded in the ends. And that was just with HD singles. I guess it could have been valve float or excessive lash from ?

Only 2 were killed.

Long story short: get aircooled.net's ally pushrods, that's the real deal. Yes, strong enough for dual springs.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Heavy duty aluminum push rods Reply with quote

The FK-8 would be a better choice over the W120 but you will need a set of 1.4 ratio rockers. My preference would be the web 86b over the FK-8. On the bugpack pushrods it depends on what alloy they are made from and what the tip design it like. Should be 2024-T3 and the steel tips should be the full diameter of the aluminum rod to reduce the chance of the end pounding loose. The CB and ACN pushrods have these specs but I don't know about the bugpacks.

A 3/8 aluminum pushrod would be ok for your app but they will have some flexing and the downsides that come with that. Too reduce the flexing to not be a factor you would need these. Dan

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2159797
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Heavy duty aluminum push rods Reply with quote

The FK-8 would be a better choice over the W120 but you will need a set of 1.4 ratio rockers. My preference would be the web 86b over the FK-8. On the bugpack pushrods it depends on what alloy they are made from and what the tip design it like. Should be 2024-T3 and the steel tips should be the full diameter of the aluminum rod to reduce the chance of the end pounding loose. The CB and ACN pushrods have these specs but I don't know about the bugpacks.

A 3/8 aluminum pushrod would be ok for your app but they will have some flexing and the downsides that come with that. Too reduce the flexing to not be a factor you would need these. Dan

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2159797
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Heavy duty aluminum push rods Reply with quote

No the Bugpacks are not and were known for pounding the ends into the pushrods.

Take a look at Dans, Aircooled.net, or Smith Brothers pushrods at pushrods.net
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Heavy duty aluminum push rods Reply with quote

I'm using CB's Alu. pushrods a big cam and big dual springs

brad
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Heavy duty aluminum push rods Reply with quote

There’s also 7075 aluminum dual-tapered pushrods from Logmech, JPM or Vintage Speed. I use the Logmech pushrods with CB VW650 dual springs in my street-strip Beetle. No issues up to the 8000 rpm rev limiter.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
TSPayne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Heavy duty aluminum push rods Reply with quote

Ok thanks everyone. I think I will reconsider using these push rods. I will probably go with chrome Molly steel ones like I normally do.
scotty timmerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Heavy duty aluminum push rods Reply with quote

I’m using cb ones with a w130 and dual springs. I haven’t had any issues yet.
73 super beetle
57 oval: build thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8616563#8616563
63 beetle reassembly: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7458619#7458619
2332cc engine build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8608429&highlight=#8608429
84 vanagon westfalia wolfsburg edition
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: