Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Snow Cat tranny
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Snow Cat tranny Reply with quote

Saw this sitting at my friend's machine shop.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Snow Cat tranny Reply with quote

Are those some type reduction gear boxes? What are the two forward holes for?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Snow Cat tranny Reply with quote

to me it just looks like chain drive. you could make your own vw tank with that...for snow plowing or dune playing or....car crusher!!!! Shocked
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Snow Cat tranny Reply with quote

There's some critical clutch parts missing: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1955789

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Snow Cat tranny Reply with quote

Maybe you know this but that’s for an Aktiv Snow Trac snow cat. That is part of the variator to vary the speed of each track so you can turn it. They use a steering wheel vs hand brakes.
I used to have a snow trac and they are super fun and capable snow cats for personal use.
Is the shop rebuilding it for someone? They are hard to find. They only produced about 2500-3000 Snow Tracs.

Here is a picture of the one I used to have.

And here is a picture of the two pulleys that sit on top of those towers.

1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Snow Cat tranny Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Are those some type reduction gear boxes? What are the two forward holes for?

On this picture there should be a couple of towers that bolt on to those holes that hold the two pulleys in my post above.
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ebel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Snow Cat tranny Reply with quote

Do you know how it controls the steering? I’d guess some sort of brake but how does the wheel control it all? I’m just curious about how it works
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Snow Cat tranny Reply with quote

Ebel wrote:
Do you know how it controls the steering? I’d guess some sort of brake but how does the wheel control it all? I’m just curious about how it works

Yes, the pulleys are tapered like a snowmobile belt drive. Each pulley expands or contracts when you turn the steering wheel so the belt runs at different speeds, which varies the speed of each track. No brakes involved and it uses very little horse power to operate which of course is great for our low hp vw engines. The hand brake style uses more horse power.
Also very dependable with not much to wear out as long as things stay lubed. The belt never breaks but eventually will wear too narrow and will need replacement after many many years of use.
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Snow Cat tranny Reply with quote

And since we are on the subject of vw sno cats. Did you know that Tucker also experimented with the aircooled vw engines? The two twins on the trailer and the one on the mountain are very rare vw powered Tucker sno cats. There were only about 4 (maybe 6) made. My friends have two of them and I have ridden in them. They work great. These are operated with hand brake levers for steering and are quite capable sno cats.

1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: