Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bearing crankshaft not seating
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
keith808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Bearing crankshaft not seating Reply with quote

Hi
I have not built engine in years.
Running into an issue. I checked online, MUIR, and Wilson How to rebuild vw engine

Single port stock engine. all original parts

My problem is When installing the crankshaft assembly all at once, the bearing by the oil slinger will not seat, it spins. The other bearings are in and seated. I have marked them all to make sure the holes are lining up.

When I install the crank assemble at an slight angle, putting the oil slinger/crank pulley side in first the bearing seats but then as i put down the flywheel side and the bearings fit into place the bearing by the oil slinger pops out and is not seated any more.

Any ideas on what i am missing????
I have tried it with distributor out and in but no difference .
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Bearing crankshaft not seating Reply with quote

the pin? or possiably the pin on another bearing is holding the bearing up some...dont tighten it up till you figure it out or get help from a local that can put eyes on it for you.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bearing crankshaft not seating Reply with quote

Is the number 2 bearing shell the proper size? Absolutely sure? Is it fully seated? It sounds like the crank is "rocking" on something in the middle...
keith808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bearing crankshaft not seating Reply with quote

pins are all good. no blemishes or mushrooming. holes are all correct on bearings

Yes it is 99 percent. it is rocking. you can see it pivoting on or near the 2nd bearing or gears. Can't figure it
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Bearing crankshaft not seating Reply with quote

Dowel pins too long?
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Bearing crankshaft not seating Reply with quote

Are you sure the bearings are installed correctly on the crank? Pins are offset towards the flywheel.
[email protected]
Samba Member

keith808 wrote:
Hi
I have not built engine in years.
Running into an issue. I checked online, MUIR, and Wilson How to rebuild vw engine

Single port stock engine. all original parts

My problem is When installing the crankshaft assembly all at once, the bearing by the oil slinger will not seat, it spins. The other bearings are in and seated. I have marked them all to make sure the holes are lining up.

When I install the crank assemble at an slight angle, putting the oil slinger/crank pulley side in first the bearing seats but then as i put down the flywheel side and the bearings fit into place the bearing by the oil slinger pops out and is not seated any more.

Any ideas on what i am missing????
I have tried it with distributor out and in but no difference .

If nothing like the slinger or one of the rods is interfering with it seating, it's possible(however unlikely but worth checking) if the nose is bored to a larger size that the other main bearing saddles. Or the nose bearing could be the incorrect diameter. Have you tried seating the nose bearing by itself? Its easy enough to remove and check.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bearing crankshaft not seating Reply with quote

thing not fit in hole right?

Measure the OD of the bearing.
Measure the ID of the hole.

Compare to specifications.
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bearing crankshaft not seating Reply with quote

Have you tried it without the distributor drive in? You mentioned with and without the distributor, but what about the drive?

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Bearing crankshaft not seating Reply with quote

I'd take out the n°2 bearing, install the crank, and spin it, measuring run-out on that journal.

The crank could be bent. Got access to a press?
keith808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Bearing crankshaft not seating Reply with quote

Thank you. I will do what you guys recommended this morning and post back
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: