Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

87 vanagon. Power to maplight=power to radio?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldBlueSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: 87 vanagon. Power to maplight=power to radio? Reply with quote

Like the title says. This is what I can see from the wiring diagrams. Am I correct?

I cant get my stereo to turn on but now I'm wondering if my stereo is just broken because my map light works.

Electrical is also not my strongest skill...
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 vanagon. Power to maplight=power to radio? Reply with quote

Check for an inline fused power wire to the radio. I have one on my aftermarket
radio.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 vanagon. Power to maplight=power to radio? Reply with quote

Aftermarket radio and/or amp could also be wired into a totally different switched circuit path. Or, there could simply be a loose connection on the back of the radio. You can kind of access the back by removing the ashtray. If you need to remove the radio,watch some YouTube how tos. Pros use some unique little key doohickeys; I just wedge a hacksaw blade in each side works surprisingly well.

I hear on the electronics wizardry, it’s pretty bold of me and my ignorance to even post the above simple suggestions.
OldBlueSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 vanagon. Power to maplight=power to radio? Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
Aftermarket radio and/or amp could also be wired into a totally different switched circuit path. Or, there could simply be a loose connection on the back of the radio. You can kind of access the back by removing the ashtray. If you need to remove the radio,watch some YouTube how tos. Pros use some unique little key doohickeys; I just wedge a hacksaw blade in each side works surprisingly well.

I hear on the electronics wizardry, it’s pretty bold of me and my ignorance to even post the above simple suggestions.

I should have mentioned that I have the stereo out. I took it from my car and it worked when it was in there. I soldered the aftermarket stereo wiring harness to the wiring harness that connects to both the black and brown harnesses in the dash. Theres no in line fuse either.

I noticed that theres two red wires going to one spot in the brown harness. When the stereo harness is connected to it, this is the spot for ignition power I believe. So I think the one red wire is from the fuse panel for power, and then the other red wire runs to the map light for power. Fuse panel>stereo>map light. So if my map light works, my stereo should have power?

I hope I explained that well enough...
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 87 vanagon. Power to maplight=power to radio? Reply with quote

If you look up the wiring images for standard aftermarket stereo harnesses, there is a wire for 12v constant (battery), 12v switched (ignition) and illumination (dimmable dash lights).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: