Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ragtop vs folding rear seat
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

63 or 65 beetle
81%
 81%  [ 13 ]
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
Other (explain)
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 16

hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Ragtop vs folding rear seat Reply with quote

I'm trying to decide between a 63 and a 65. Of course there's many more differences but I wanted some other people's opinions.

63 being the last year of the folding ragtop and 65 being the first year of the folding rear seat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Ragtop vs folding rear seat Reply with quote

Your poll does not make comparison sense. Plan on 95% ragtop.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Ragtop vs folding rear seat Reply with quote

Interested to see other people's opinions but if you are saying your main choice is between a ragtop and a folding rear seat then...

Ragtop by a million miles
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

You're going to have to explain the folding rear seat thing. Last time I checked, the rear seat back folded down on Bugs long before 1965.
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Ragtop vs folding rear seat Reply with quote

@hitest, @mukluk, I've never owned either of those beetles nor have I ever dug around in one of those years. I got that information from here. http://www.vw-resource.com/years.html

Maybe I'm not understanding what it did prior to "folding flat". Could someone explain?

@hitest why doesn't the comparison makes sense?

Last edited by hylomatt on Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Ragtop vs folding rear seat Reply with quote

@EverettB, I was thinking more along the lines of ragtop versus increased storage space. But it looks like I might be corrected by some other people of a misunderstanding on my part.
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ragtop vs folding rear seat Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

Ragtop by a million miles

X 2 million.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Ragtop vs folding rear seat Reply with quote

Is a rag top that much fun to own? The only beetle I ever owned was the 73 super so I really wouldn't know.
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Ragtop vs folding rear seat Reply with quote

Bug back seats have never folded totally flat. Only Squarebacks.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Ragtop vs folding rear seat Reply with quote

Starting with the '65 model the rear seat back got a strap that could be hooked under the seat bottom rail and cinched down, but the real gain in storage capacity would be negligible.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/61_65bug_replacement/page20.jpg

Notable differences on the '65 that could be considered actual improvements would be the increased size windows for better visibility (and cheaper pop out quarters), sun visors that can be swiveled to the side instead of just shading straight ahead, and slightly better stock brakes.

If you live someplace that's usually rainy or cold, the ragtop may not be good for you. But, where the weather is decent the ragtop is the next best thing to having a convertible due to its large opening.
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ragtop vs folding rear seat Reply with quote

hylomatt wrote:
@hitest, @mukluk, I've never owned either of those beetles nor have I ever dug around in one of those years. I got that information from here. http://www.vw-resource.com/years.html

Maybe I'm not understanding what it did prior to "folding flat". Could someone explain?

@hitest why doesn't the comparison makes sense?

As others have mentioned, the seats have folded since the beginning.

All I can say to your link is wow there is so much wrong with their info.

I will give a few examples of the errors I have seen.

They don’t even mention the MAJOR change in ‘55 with Aug ‘55 beginning the Aug previous year to July current year production.

They don’t have Aug-July production starting until the ‘61 model year and even then they have it going from Aug ‘60 to July ‘62!!!

They fail to mention the few changes for the ‘55 models through out the Jan- July production, in fact they barely mention anything for ‘55.

They mention ‘55 having a “dished steering wheel”??!!! That didn’t start until ‘60!

They also don’t say that ‘65 was the first year for a folding rear seat, they simply state it “folds flat”. Which is something it barely does, but it does fold a little flatter than the previous years.

What exactly are you trying to haul that the seat folding is even a concern? I think I have folded my rear seats in all my bugs maybe 4 times in the 24 years I have owned them.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind

Last edited by Keith on Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Ragtop vs folding rear seat Reply with quote

hylomatt wrote:
Is a rag top that much fun to own? The only beetle I ever owned was the 73 super so I really wouldn't know.

“Fun” is subjective. But look at the prices of comparable condition 65’s and any ragtop and you’ll see a significantly higher price for the ragtop. I think most people would find your question very odd. I don’t think most people really care whether the back seat folds or not and using it as a determiner for which car to buy even more bizarre.

With any said, why rely on others to make your choices? Figure out what’s important to you and party on. Good luck in your search.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Ragtop vs folding rear seat Reply with quote

@Keith, @Sharp64 - good points, good info. In my 73 super, i used the folding back seat to carry a large Kustom amp and cabinet along with my bass guitar. that folding seat was a huge benefit.

i can see the oddity of comparing the two though. maybe that was silly.

@Sharp64, the prices for a ragtop are definitely higher. I'm looking at a 65 hard vs 63 rag right now. trying to decide. there's ~ $3k diff between the two.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Ragtop vs folding rear seat Reply with quote

hylomatt wrote:
@Keith, @Sharp64 - good points, good info. In my 73 super, i used the folding back seat to carry a large Kustom amp and cabinet along with my bass guitar. that folding seat was a huge benefit.

i can see the oddity of comparing the two though. maybe that was silly.

@Sharp64, the prices for a ragtop are definitely higher. I'm looking at a 65 hard vs 63 rag right now. trying to decide. there's ~ $3k diff between the two.

If your comparing ANY '65 to that creamy POS '63 ragtop- I'll change my answer to '65. Wink That '63 discussed in your other thread will soon be forgotten.

But really- you're miles ahead and way better served to seek references on VWs right here at this site. TheSamba appeals to many of us because production changes, progressive refinements and opinions are discussed in detail. Every one here has a favorite year (mine is '63) so I never miss a thread about them. The pool of resources is great here- so you'll find the best answers regarding original equipment, why something was done this way, why the motor is that way, etc. You might also notice we don't let each other get away with too much false information. There's healthy peer pressure here to help discern a car well.

I'd visit the galleries using the search feature and the forums doing the same. Ragtop headaches are discussed right along with the pennies from heaven you enjoy when owning one. Visit the bodywork forums to learn more about what REALLY happened to that '63 ragtop.

Most importantly for me- rust is my enemy. I am not a welder and if I had to only choose a car from a rusty corner of the state- I'd drive a little further and buy one from further west.

I would not recommend settling for a car just out of convenience. Folks who do this might find they don't like the extra work involved and it might make an otherwise cool VWer not like VWs anymore. I've seen it happen. take your time and buy the best car you can. We'll continue to nitpick any you come across.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Ragtop vs folding rear seat Reply with quote

Go Ragtop.

Who needs a folding rear seat. Just take it out and build a cargo bay like I did with my Baja Ragtop. Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Ragtop vs folding rear seat Reply with quote

Ragtop for sure. Seat may not fold down flat, but if Lindbergh could sleep in his, surely enough storage room.
Only issue with ragtop is without pop out rear windows, there can be reverberation from wind pressure that can hammer your ears. Adjusting how open the top is can fix it. With the rag open, the car will be slower and mileage decreased because of the drag.
Mine has only leaked closed when driving in torrential rain with a nasty cross wind. Parked outside it has never leaked.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Ragtop vs folding rear seat Reply with quote

A ragtop would make it easier to get your large amp & equipment into the back seat.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Gary Haberman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Ragtop vs folding rear seat Reply with quote

I own a '62 ragtop and a '66 sedan. They each have their uses (that's why I have two). The '66 back seat does fold down FLAT. I volunteer to do construction work and lug around saws and drills and such and I wouldn't dare put my stuff on my pretty ragtop's back seat (which I replaced recently). I replaced the ragtop with one from WW and never experienced a leak though to be honest, I avoid driving the car in the rain (it lives in a heated garage). But to honest, while I think the ragtop looks nicer and has a bit more value, from a practical standpoint, other than venting it quickly on a hot day, I really wish I had purchased a convertible. So there....
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Ragtop vs folding rear seat Reply with quote

Gary Haberman wrote:
I own a '62 ragtop and a '66 sedan. They each have their uses (that's why I have two). The '66 back seat does fold down FLAT. I volunteer to do construction work and lug around saws and drills and such and I wouldn't dare put my stuff on my pretty ragtop's back seat (which I replaced recently). I replaced the ragtop with one from WW and never experienced a leak though to be honest, I avoid driving the car in the rain (it lives in a heated garage). But to honest, while I think the ragtop looks nicer and has a bit more value, from a practical standpoint, other than venting it quickly on a hot day, I really wish I had purchased a convertible. So there....

Funny story. Friend and I were heading to a show recently. He has a vert and I have a ragtop. We got about 2 miles down the road and it started raining. HARD. I twisted the handle and slid my top shut. We had to pull of to the side of the road and pull his boot off, put the top up and latch and snap all the snaps. Then it stopped raining. Convertibles are nice except for ease of closure.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: