Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help! Inherited Grandma's Westy - overwhelmed by work
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mara'sMagic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Help! Inherited Grandma's Westy - overwhelmed by work Reply with quote

Hi everyone! I've browsed Samba forums over the years for various questions concerning my grandmother's van, but I think the time has come for me to create a post and get some advice. I inherited an '85 Westfalia from my grandmother ~1 year ago. I love this thing. I used to borrow it from her for trips with my friends, and it is now the perfect surf vehicle for me. I've performed some basic maintenance on it since receiving it (oil change, air filter change, brakes) but finally got the vehicle inspected @ The Bus Lab in Oakland...they came back with a looooonnggg list of issues with the vehicle, including some that make it unsafe to drive! I am supposed to leave for the Peace Corps March 12th, and am trying to tackle as much of the work necessary before then so that I'm not leaving an undriveable van parked in front of my parent's house. However, I do not have the tools or workspace to adequately work on the van, and I'm unsure of where to start on this list! So I'm hoping for a few things from this forum:

1. Help developing an order of operations/plan of attack based on the listed issues.
Right now my main focus: 1. Fuel Lines. 2. Diagnose oil leaks. 3. Alternator & belts. 4. Diagnose coolant leaks. 5. Diagnose why pump & hose are covered with fluid for power steering. 6. Diagnose foamy gear oil

2. Suggestions on where I can do the work.

3. Any guidance or help with the work along the way!

I'm including as a photo the listed issues.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Inherited Grandma's Westy - overwhelmed by work Reply with quote

"alternator sounds like it is about to explode".....now that's a funny comment.

Seriously though- one heck of an inspection. How much of the listed work can you do yourself is the question, because a LOT of it will be much cheaper DIY. Upper Ball joints, for example, are relatively easy to remove/install and affordable. And, your compression #'s are pretty darn good IMO all things considered, that's the very good news.

EDIT: I'd prioritize this way: 1) Fuel lines, brake lines, and new tires. Immediate safety items. 2) Coolant leaks- they can go disastrous really fast and 2a) the frothy gear oil, I'd want to know what's up with that. 3) CV joints.

Seems like everything else is more long-term and can wait. But that's just my first take.

Last edited by mikemtnbike on Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:46 am; edited 2 times in total
Mara'sMagic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Inherited Grandma's Westy - overwhelmed by work Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
"alternator sounds like it is about to explode".....now that's a funny comment.

Seriously though- one heck of an inspection. How much of the listed work can you do yourself is the question, because a LOT of it will be much cheaper DIY. Upper Ball joints, for example, are relatively easy to remove/install and affordable. And, your compression #'s are pretty darn good IMO all things considered, that's the very good news.

It definitely is a comprehensive inspection! I am honestly not sure how much I can do myself. My goal is to do as much of it as possible b/c I definitely need it to be cheaper than these prices. The issue though is tools & workspace...I have the time right now to figure these things out if I'm able to work on them.
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Inherited Grandma's Westy - overwhelmed by work Reply with quote

Replace fuel lines now. Monitor vital fluids for the next month and a half (if you're using the van). Do the rest when you get back from the Peace Corps.

You lucked into getting a free Westfalia. Even if you paid someone to fix everything, you'd probably still come out ahead.
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Inherited Grandma's Westy - overwhelmed by work Reply with quote

Order of operations:

Assuming you have basic hand tools already (pliers, screwdrivers, metric ratchet set, a jack, safety glasses, a pan to catch dripping fluids, a light to illuminate the area, etc), you should be able to tackle the items below (addressing all the brake issues, fuel line issues, alternator and belt issues) for about $500 in parts and a few special tools plus a long weekend.

Safety:
Do the fuel lines (like NOW, before you drive it again). Kit available for $65 https://www.vancafe.com/VCfuellinereplacementkit-p/vcfuellinereplacementkit.htm
I would probably change the fuel filter as well "while you are in there", another $10 https://www.vancafe.com/71028-p/71028.htm
Tools needed: basic hand tools
Time for an amateur: 5 hours

Dry rotted brake hose (replace all 4 hoses with braided fexible hose, kit available for about $90 https://www.vancafe.com/VCSSKIT-p/vcsskit.htm)
Tools needed: new brake fluid, flare wrenches (like this set for $16 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EFL01AY), equipment to safely remove a wheel and have vehicle jacked up. This means a pair of proper jack stands. Do not, ever, get under a vehicle without these. Here is a pair for $27: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00026Z3EA
Time for an amateur: full day+ if you also do the wheel cylinders, you will also need a friend to help you bleed the brakes unless you want to use a power bleeder (you can rent these).

While you are doing the brake hoses, might consider replacing the brake cylinders and pads since they say they are weeping and pads are sort of a "while you're in there" thing. Wheel cylinders for the rear run about $25/each (https://www.vancafe.com/211611047F-ATE-p/211611047f-ate.htm), and you might as well replace the drum brake hardware (you will have to remove the old stuff anyway) so that's another $20 (https://www.vancafe.com/251698003-p/251698003.htm). Brake pads for the rear will run $50 for both rear wheels (https://www.vancafe.com/251609537-CER-p/251609537-cer.htm).
The complication is that you will need some slightly less basic tools to dissect down to them. I might see if there is a local shop that would do the brake line and wheel cylinders work if you supply the parts, I would guess (but just a guess) that shop time to do the lines, wheel cylinders and pads and finally a bleed would be about 4 hours.

Reliability:
New tires (they said they are old/dried out, look for manufacture date and assess any cracking etc yourself).

Alternator and belts: Alternator runs $115 (https://www.vancafe.com/AL33X-p/al33x.htm) and belts are $23 for all three (https://www.vancafe.com/VCBELTKIT-p/vcbeltkit.htm). This you can do as a DIY with basic hand tools.
Time for an amateur: 3 hours

Everything else on the list strikes me as less urgent or optional (but others please correct me if I missed any safety/basic running items), with CVs and trans fluid leading the pack.

Last edited by SyncroButter on Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:46 am; edited 4 times in total
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Inherited Grandma's Westy - overwhelmed by work Reply with quote

I'm in the similar situation OP! We have some cool grandma's Cool

Just to give you a background, before my Westy I only knew how to change engine oil and change disc brake pads.

I've done almost all of the work myself. Only thing I paid someone to do was the thermostat, exhaust, and water pump. The thermostat and water pump was last minute so I paid someone to do it.

You can do most of the repairs yourself! Do research before a repair to learn tips/tricks. Youtube videos help, but also reading the samba and looking at the Bentley. You're not going to knock out everything in one weekend, so pace yourself!

I dived into my suspension rebuild. My suspension was in similar shape. Here is my thread about it. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=700530&highlight=2wd

Congrats!!
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Inherited Grandma's Westy - overwhelmed by work Reply with quote

Mara'sMagic wrote:
.... I've performed some basic maintenance on it since receiving it (oil change, air filter change, brakes) but finally got the vehicle inspected @ The Bus Lab in Oakland...they came back with a looooonnggg list of issues with the vehicle, including some that make it unsafe to drive! I am supposed to leave for the Peace Corps March 12th, and am trying to tackle as much of the work necessary before then so that I'm not leaving an undriveable van parked in front of my parent's house. However, I do not have the tools or workspace to adequately work on the van, and I'm unsure of where to start on this list! So I'm hoping for a few things from this forum:

1. Help developing an order of operations/plan of attack based on the listed issues.
Right now my main focus: 1. Fuel Lines. 2. Diagnose oil leaks. 3. Alternator & belts. 4. Diagnose coolant leaks. 5. Diagnose why pump & hose are covered with fluid for power steering. 6. Diagnose foamy gear oil

Even if the van is just being jockeyed around the driveway while you're away.....

In engine bay, inspect condition of all fuel hoses.

Based upon the report, I wouldn't trust the tires on a long trip or even short trips on a hot day and or over bumpy dirt roads. Inspect spare tire. I bet it's really old.

Close the propane tank shut off valve, light the stove, wait for flame to go out then with tank shut off valve still closed, try to re light stove. If flame doesn't light, tank shut off valve can likely be trusted as-is for now. If tank has the original "auto stop" fill valve that might be something to search up on here. Since the report mentions 'smell of propane', with the tank shut off valve open, fridge and stove off, apply soapy water at each propane pipe union. If you see the water bubble, you've found a propane leak. There are pipe unions inside the van. Info is here regarding location of those.

Amount of engine oil top off could mean several things but whoever uses it while you're gone, before they drive it, they should check the oil level even if engine has sat unused. Same for transmission.

[img]
[/img]

[img]
[/img]

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Inherited Grandma's Westy - overwhelmed by work Reply with quote

My advice priorities would be these:

1). By Far!: Make a budget and make sure you are committed to this vehicle for a very long time, and at a significant set of expenses early on. And make sure you are committed to finding a place to work on it, and know you have a set of mechanical skills going in.

We just bought another Westy in October after totaling our first rig in August, and if I had known we'd be spending likely over $15,000 to go the first 2,000 miles, just to realize hack after hack done by "professionals," I would have never bought another one. Now we're into it so deep we have to keep it and spend more significant dollars on top of what's been spent.

2). If at all on the fence on long-term commitment, first thing I'd want to know before spending one nickel is why the oil is frothy. This could range from the simple, to a major commitment on a new engine.

3). If getting past #1 and 2 and carrying forward; tires first, fuel lines and braking systems immediately after or with, propane system third, cooling system fourth. Safety and preservation, both personal and vehicular, always the first priority. Then address the oil leaks, if not better served in #2 above.

I don't mean to sound discouraging and admit to being in a crappy mood after getting constantly screwed, but these *can* be the financial realities. Bring money, effort, and endless patience. It can really be worth it, but not always.

The members here are mostly amazing and will help you. The people the rig brings to you are the same. The issues we face are mostly from a nation I no longer recognize.

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cobra88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Inherited Grandma's Westy - overwhelmed by work Reply with quote

My advice would be get it looked at somewhere else

$180 for a T3 aerial ??????

they just want to fleece you mate
Rick
andrewvwco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Inherited Grandma's Westy - overwhelmed by work Reply with quote

They gave you a great list to start with. Choose what is most important to get it running good first. Then each year or time you have money keep fixing anld
earning. Enjoy and try to "be here now" with a van.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Inherited Grandma's Westy - overwhelmed by work Reply with quote

I’ll be up that direction late January early Feb, if you want to go over it together. Feel free to send me a PM.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Inherited Grandma's Westy - overwhelmed by work Reply with quote

I don't know this guy^, but I've seen his work/past history and would trust his opinion. OP hit him up for sure!
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Inherited Grandma's Westy - overwhelmed by work Reply with quote

Second that.

— Colin Chapman
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Inherited Grandma's Westy - overwhelmed by work Reply with quote

$400 for spark plugs? This Buslab place must be right next to a dispensary!
Cobra88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Inherited Grandma's Westy - overwhelmed by work Reply with quote

+1 Yep Stuart knows his stuff
Cobra88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Inherited Grandma's Westy - overwhelmed by work Reply with quote

RoryGirl wrote:

Methlab maybe Smile
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Inherited Grandma's Westy - overwhelmed by work Reply with quote

RoryGirl wrote:

Either they must have added an extra zero or they are planning on doing some work to the FI system. Since they removed all four plugs during their inspection the additional cost of replacing the plugs at that point in time would have been maybe $20 including a healthy markup on the plugs. If they checked and the O2 sensor is working I don't know what other work they might be contemplating. Maybe they know something about someone using a sealant on the plugs that I don't?
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Inherited Grandma's Westy - overwhelmed by work Reply with quote

Cobra88 wrote:

Rick

What he said... For realz

J
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Inherited Grandma's Westy - overwhelmed by work Reply with quote

California pricing.

— Colin Chapman
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Inherited Grandma's Westy - overwhelmed by work Reply with quote

Cobra88 wrote:

Rick

You know, I'm not a fan of paying people to do work on my vehicle or much of a fan of the quality of work performed, but that's a discussion for another day, Eric will probably start it soon! Sorry dude......

Anyway, $180 fo a new antenna, you need to remove the front grill undo the antenna, feed the wire from the radio out, install the new one, feed the wire in, probably pull the radio to hook up the antenna, tighten everything, make sure it is water tight and works. Put the grill back on.

You've spent an hour or better, what do shops charge today? $140 or better per hour? Plus the part.

Yeah, it's in line...... I would NEVER pay for such a simple task, but many will.

The list is a fair assessment of a Van owned by an older person on a tight budget, hence deferred repairs, who would happily let her Grandson borrow it and beat the crap out of, it as kids tend to do (even they do not think they do) and return it with little if any repairs made to it. Probably lucky to have any gas left in it ..... Laughing

Yeah, I've been there...... the grandson and the Grand parent, I know how it works.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: