Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help! Inherited Grandma's Westy - overwhelmed by work
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Inherited Grandma's Westy - overwhelmed by work Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Cobra88 wrote:
My advice would be get it looked at somewhere else

$180 for a T3 aerial ??????

they just want to fleece you mate
Rick

You know, I'm not a fan of paying people to do work on my vehicle or much of a fan of the quality of work performed, but that's a discussion for another day, Eric will probably start it soon! Sorry dude......

Anyway, $180 fo a new antenna, you need to remove the front grill undo the antenna, feed the wire from the radio out, install the new one, feed the wire in, probably pull the radio to hook up the antenna, tighten everything, make sure it is water tight and works. Put the grill back on.

You've spent an hour or better, what do shops charge today? $140 or better per hour? Plus the part.

Yeah, it's in line...... I would NEVER pay for such a simple task, but many will.

The list is a fair assessment of a Van owned by an older person on a tight budget, hence deferred repairs, who would happily let her Grandson borrow it and beat the crap out of, it as kids tend to do (even they do not think they do) and return it with little if any repairs made to it. Probably lucky to have any gas left in it ..... Laughing

Yeah, I've been there...... the grandson and the Grand parent, I know how it works.

Dave

Having had more than a few experiences with the shop in question (performing work or suggesting work on client vans).. my advise to the OP is to find another shop or learn to work on it yourself. In my opinion, nothing on that list needs to be addressed before or while they are away. The van will sit happily waiting their return. How much did they want for upper ball joints? Those can be changed in 15 minutes each.. literally.

J
Mara'sMagic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Inherited Grandma's Westy - overwhelmed by work Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
I’ll be up that direction late January early Feb, if you want to go over it together. Feel free to send me a PM.

Thank you for this offer! I will send you a PM tomorrow (new accounts have to wait 24 hours to pm). I'd be stoked if we could look at it together!

Thank you everyone else for solid advice and perspectives..I have lots to think about!
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Inherited Grandma's Westy - overwhelmed by work Reply with quote

x5 those prices are crazy California high.

You might just want to sell that rig.

Cash in hand or a van in the drive.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Inherited Grandma's Westy - overwhelmed by work Reply with quote

All of this is standard for a new to you old vehicle. The fuel lines should probably be done before the van is drivin. That’s a good first project if you want to do some of the work your self if you are happy after doing that you could probably do the belts and a new alternator as well. The tires should probably get done right away as well. The lights that don’t work are also easy work but takes a certain amount of know how you may or may not have. The front end sounds like it needs to be rebuilt. That is a job for a professional or a well equipped hobbyist. I did mine about a year ago there are some good threads on people who have done that job. The cooling system is again a big job that Is not a first time project. The camper stuff can certainly wait. Good luck these van are a adventure to be enjoyed. John
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Inherited Grandma's Westy - overwhelmed by work Reply with quote

Wow a hole page of answers came in the time I was typing. John
Mara'sMagic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Inherited Grandma's Westy - overwhelmed by work Reply with quote

82westyrabbit wrote:
All of this is standard for a new to you old vehicle. The fuel lines should probably be done before the van is drivin. That’s a good first project if you want to do some of the work your self if you are happy after doing that you could probably do the belts and a new alternator as well. The tires should probably get done right away as well. The lights that don’t work are also easy work but takes a certain amount of know how you may or may not have. The front end sounds like it needs to be rebuilt. That is a job for a professional or a well equipped hobbyist. I did mine about a year ago there are some good threads on people who have done that job. The cooling system is again a big job that Is not a first time project. The camper stuff can certainly wait. Good luck these van are a adventure to be enjoyed. John

Why do you say the front end needs to be rebuilt? What leads you to that conclusion?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Inherited Grandma's Westy - overwhelmed by work Reply with quote

Mara'sMagic wrote:

Why do you say the front end needs to be rebuilt? What leads you to that conclusion?

The tie rods, ball joints, and bushings mention as needing repair are all parts of the front end and would be what was replaced in a front end rebuild.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Inherited Grandma's Westy - overwhelmed by work Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Cobra88 wrote:
My advice would be get it looked at somewhere else

$180 for a T3 aerial ??????

they just want to fleece you mate
Rick

You know, I'm not a fan of paying people to do work on my vehicle or much of a fan of the quality of work performed......

Anyway, $180 fo a new antenna, you need to remove the front grill undo the antenna, feed the wire from the radio out, install the new one, feed the wire in, probably pull the radio to hook up the antenna, tighten everything, make sure it is water tight and works. Put the grill back on.

You've spent an hour or better, what do shops charge today? $140 or better per hour? Plus the part.

Yeah, it's in line...... I would NEVER pay for such a simple task, but many will.

THIS right here, this is why you really have to do your own work or have deeeep pockets as a vanagon owner.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Inherited Grandma's Westy - overwhelmed by work Reply with quote

The only difficult job on that list is the lower ball joints.
Everything else, you got the support right here to help you out.
Start searching.
Between the spark plugs and the arial, if it took you two hours to do both, you would be slow, and that is $550, back in your pocket after you purchase the parts.
Are they hoping you will say, "that's a lot of money for such an old vehicle, I can't spend that" and then they turn around and offer you $500 for it?
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Inherited Grandma's Westy - overwhelmed by work Reply with quote

Replacing the ball joints and changing all the bushings is rebuilding the front end. Just different words to say the same thing. With that being said it doesn’t sound to me like that or the cooling system need to done before you can have some fun with the van. If you want the van it will probably require doing some small jobs your self and paying to have some larger job done. There is a lot of knowledge here to help you figure out what jobs to do your self and what jobs not to. John
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Inherited Grandma's Westy - overwhelmed by work Reply with quote

On a fairly tight time budget you should get Stu in asap. You don't need to do all that stuff to get a driveway runner , but you need to run the van at least monthly, keep battery on trickle charger, etc. set up some one to drive it once in a while, just up and down the street.

For a driveway runner, the fuel lines are the only thing that need doing.

Have fun and thank you in Advance for your service. You do more to prevent wars than many other arms of the Government. Senegal and Angola in the 1970s,80s. Interesting times
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Inherited Grandma's Westy - overwhelmed by work Reply with quote

that list is a very thorough tally of the vehicle. useful to you. some of the prices are crazy, some are okay. you're getting valid feedback on which is which.

to address your original questions...
"Right now my main focus: 1. Fuel Lines. 2. Diagnose oil leaks. 3. Alternator & belts. 4. Diagnose coolant leaks. 5. Diagnose why pump & hose are covered with fluid for power steering. 6. Diagnose foamy gear oil "

1. fuel lines. yes, they have to be replaced. if you simply can't do it, then pay someone, it is worth it.

2. oil leaks may or may not be serious. usually, they can be lived with given attention to fluid levels.

3. Alternator and belts is something you just have to know how to switch yourself and it is fairly easy with simple tools. Huge savings DIY here.

4. coolant leaks. could be major head issues or simply tightening a hose clamp. spend time under the van and determine where they are coming from yourself.

5. power steering pump and hoses are just about ALWAYS covered with power steering fluid. spend some time with a stiff brush, a can of Gunk engine cleaner, and a hose with hot water. easy to keep clean once they ARE clean.

6. foamy gear oil. if a manual trans, could simply be you need a gear oil change because after sitting a long time, the transmission can reflux moisture inside from the air. if an automatic, there is an oil cooler that could possibly be leaking antifreeze into the trans. need more info from you on this.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Inherited Grandma's Westy - overwhelmed by work Reply with quote

Ok, my 2 cents...

You got this van for free -- it has obviously been neglected when it comes to maintenance for a really long time. You I assume have little experience working on your van.

If you want to start off with a reliable machine that has had all of the big jobs done by professionals, so you can enjoy it and assuming it has no rust issues. Talk to Buslab, see if you can negotiate a price and go for it. Enjoy your family's van.

Then learn where you are s=comfortable with maintenance, what you have time to do. This is a site of folks who pull wrenches, and do some very big jobs and call it easy. It's never east, thing break, leak and you will bleed.

I haven't done the math, but we all paid for our vans, yours is free and an excellent shop such as Buslab will charge a premium, but you will drive away with jobs that have the correct and best quality parts and will be well done. So yes it will cost many thousands, but you will have a van!

That's what I would consider. Maybe someone in the family will give you an interest free load or a line of credit and pay it down a few hundred dollars a month.

Anyways... that van needs a lot of work.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Inherited Grandma's Westy - overwhelmed by work Reply with quote

I'm telling you OP, just dive in. There are so many resources available. If you run into a problem during a repair, we are here to assist. If you learn how to post pictures/videos, then you're in better shape. This forum is super active.

Here's a great example of someone having a problem and posting a photo. 10 minutes later he had a response and a solution.

Also - it should be noted that repairs are not going to last 30+ years. The quality of aftermarket parts are not comparable to original. This is why its important to do your research. Almost all of my parts are bought from van parts dealers. There are several brand lower ball joints out there, but you want MOOG or Lemforder for the lower ball joints. For the upper, you would assume same thing right? Wrong. Lemforder upper ball joints are now made in china. You only want Moog for the uppers.

You may not do the repair 100% right the first time. But you can repeat the repair and learn from your mistakes.

If you do the repair now, you'll know how to do it later down the road in case of an emergency. I feel like if you start having the shop do 'basic' work, you're going to be constantly reliant on that shop doing repairs, and you'll be discouraged about how much money, time, and how often you're in the shop.

That being said, I'll gladly pay good money for any engine or tranny work.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Inherited Grandma's Westy - overwhelmed by work Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:

You may not do the repair 100% right the first time. But you can repeat the repair and learn from your mistakes.

If you do the repair now, you'll know how to do it later down the road in case of an emergency. I feel like if you start having the shop do 'basic' work, you're going to be constantly reliant on that shop doing repairs, and you'll be discouraged about how much money, time, and how often you're in the shop.

That being said, I'll gladly pay good money for any engine or tranny work.

I agree with this X2! Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Inherited Grandma's Westy - overwhelmed by work Reply with quote

Just for comparison, I let my daughter use my van for several years in another part of the country. Before driving it back home she took it in and had it evaluated. The "needed" work came to $8000. We decided that one item should be done before she hit the road because of the age and mileage of the part and that the other items could be wait until she got it home. On my own evaluation I did a couple more of the items and and put the others on the back burner. I doubt that with my only putting 5000 miles or so a year on the van that many of them will ever get done.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Inherited Grandma's Westy - overwhelmed by work Reply with quote

Mara'sMagic wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:
I’ll be up that direction late January early Feb, if you want to go over it together. Feel free to send me a PM.

Thank you for this offer! I will send you a PM tomorrow (new accounts have to wait 24 hours to pm). I'd be stoked if we could look at it together!

Thank you everyone else for solid advice and perspectives..I have lots to think about!

You can call me too, my phone number and email are in my signature line under every post i make Wink

My window of opportunity is before the 3rd of feb, or after the 7th (going to be in grass valley area those days)

Looking forward to it!

Also, thanks all for the kind words. Smile

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mara'sMagic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Inherited Grandma's Westy - overwhelmed by work Reply with quote

You're all kinda awesome, just FYI.

Really valuable advice all around. I think the move for me right now is to take care of these safety items so that it's easy for the van to be started occasionally while I'm gone and driven a bit. I'm also definitely going to try to look this thing over with Stu!

So, i'm going to dive into the fuel lines first. Before making this post, that was my plan anyways. What I'm wondering, is if the kit I have is sufficient. I had ordered this kit: https://www.vanagain.com/shop/fuel-line-replacement-kit-for-all-non-diesel-vanagons.

I noticed that another kit someone linked for me had a couple of different size lines, but this one only has the 7mm lines. Just wondering if I should instead grab a different kit? I think I need to do all lines, including those under the van.

Next, I'll tackle the alternator and belts, seems like that should be manageable as well.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Inherited Grandma's Westy - overwhelmed by work Reply with quote

Give Ken a call and explain what you want to do and he'd be glad to talk about the scope of the kit you bought. Ken is a great guy and always willing to help.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Inherited Grandma's Westy - overwhelmed by work Reply with quote

That kit should work. FYI Van-Cafe is my go to vendor. They give you free cookies with almost every order! Fast and reasonable priced shipping!

While you can replace the 'hard' fuel lines, some people don't. Most of the hard lines are not in the engine bay. Should they leak, I don't think it would be a big deal. However I maybe wrong on this! I have not replaced mine yet, but it's on my to-do list and the lines are on my shelf.

https://www.vancafe.com/VC85TUNEUPKIT-p/vc85tuneupkit.htm
https://www.vancafe.com/VCEARLYFFUPKIT-p/vcearlyffupkit.htm
https://www.vancafe.com/VCfuellinereplacementkit-p/vcfuellinereplacementkit.htm

If you are replacing alternator, consider getting this. The alternator on the block was a bad design.

https://www.vancafe.com/VCALTBRACKETFIX-p/vcaltbracketfix.htm
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: