Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headlight buzzer
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spacebiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Headlight buzzer Reply with quote

Anyone able to offer some advice on how to wire a headlight reminder buzzer in a bus. I have purchased a generic unit which is nothing fancy, a simple buzzer with red and black wire.

I'm struggling to figure how I can make this live when the ignition is switch off and lights are still on. I am guessing that I should wire into the headlight switch, but then I need a switched live when the ignition is off?

I have just wired an after market loom in my bus and I do remember that it had a few wires which I didn't need.

Any help appreciated - thanks!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight buzzer Reply with quote

unless someone builds you a circuit like Telford, what you want is a relay that is open when it is energized and closed when it is at rest. The 12V+ side of the buzzer goes to the headlights and the negative side goes to the relay pole with the other side to ground. You power it from the accesory fuse that is on when the key is on. So that if the headlight is on and the relay energized the ground is open so the buzzer is off. But if the key if off and the headlight on the buzzer has a path to ground and it will buzz. You can do the same kind of thing with the hot side too so that it is only connected when the relay is in the off position. You will need to add a diode to keep the system from back feeding,

Or you can do like we learned to do out of habit when walking away from a car, glance at the lights, tail lights, side markers etc.. I guess people don't do that much anymore with cars doing all the thinking for them these days.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight buzzer Reply with quote

I have just used a seat belt buzzer and a diode in series between the #58 parking lights circuit and the #15 ignition circuit. Your buzzer may already have a diode built into it, so your instructions should tell you which wire goes to the ignition and which goes to the parking lights.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight buzzer Reply with quote

https://mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/et245.htm

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight buzzer Reply with quote

I've always just tapped those into the fuse box, one wire on the parking light circuit and one on an ignition circuit like the signals, if it buzzes when you turn on the key reverse the wires.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight buzzer Reply with quote

spacebiscuit wrote:
Anyone able to offer some advice on how to wire a headlight reminder buzzer in a bus. I have purchased a generic unit which is nothing fancy, a simple buzzer with red and black wire.

I'm struggling to figure how I can make this live when the ignition is switch off and lights are still on. I am guessing that I should wire into the headlight switch, but then I need a switched live when the ignition is off?

I have just wired an after market loom in my bus and I do remember that it had a few wires which I didn't need.

VW offered an automatic headlamp shutoff in the US market in 1971.
They had the famous "X" terminal in the ignition switch that ran the entire lighting, defroster, and wiper circuits from Fuse #10 via the "X" black/yellow wire from the ignition switch. These circuits would be de-energized during cranking as well.
Colin
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight buzzer Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
spacebiscuit wrote:

They had the famous "X" terminal in the ignition switch that ran the entire lighting, defroster, and wiper circuits from Fuse #10 via the "X" black/yellow wire from the ignition switch. These circuits would be de-energized during cranking as well.
Colin

And it's much better than leaving the headlights on, but 5 or 6 hours later discovering the parking lights are still on can lead to a pucker moment when starting if your battery is aging. I make sure my rear marker lights are operational so I might notice it's still on as I walk by, sadly my LR has a habit of quitting regularly so it still doesn't always solve the problem, I've only left the lights on a couple times. I'm exploring adapting a Honda door/seatbelt chime to help me remember, much more pleasant sounding than a buzzer.

Years ago I had a combination buzzer and wiper delay that beeped for ~30 seconds and then shut up, it was great for times when you were parked somewhere and actually wanted to use the parking lights for their intended purpose, should have robbed it before I sold the car.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight buzzer Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
spacebiscuit wrote:

Colin

And it's much better than leaving the headlights on, but 5 or 6 hours later discovering the parking lights are still on can lead to a pucker moment when starting if your battery is aging. I make sure my rear marker lights are operational so I might notice it's still on as I walk by, sadly my LR has a habit of quitting regularly so it still doesn't always solve the problem, I've only left the lights on a couple times. I'm exploring adapting a Honda door/seatbelt chime to help me remember, much more pleasant sounding than a buzzer.

Years ago I had a combination buzzer and wiper delay that beeped for ~30 seconds and then shut up, it was great for times when you were parked somewhere and actually wanted to use the parking lights for their intended purpose, should have robbed it before I sold the car.

If that is an aftermarket side marker they short out internally after they start going intermittent.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight buzzer Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
spacebiscuit wrote:

Colin

If that is an aftermarket side marker they short out internally after they start going intermittent.

Nope, OG one, it's just been tortured by PO battery installs and 48 years of use, it doesn't matter how shiny I get the contacts or how much grease I use it still dies and needs a wiggle or thump every few years. I'm hoping someone repros the chrome edged markers properly one day, I might just have to kick an OG part to the curb and dare to install something new.

Слава Україні!
spacebiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight buzzer Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I've always just tapped those into the fuse box, one wire on the parking light circuit and one on an ignition circuit like the signals, if it buzzes when you turn on the key reverse the wires.

Just a thought but could I not just pigback off (57 - goes to K4 Parking light warning light) on the headlight switch (E1 on diagram)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/baybus_71_fixed.jpg

Presumably this is live when the ignition is off and lights are on?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight buzzer Reply with quote

spacebiscuit wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Just a thought but could I not just pigback off (57 - goes to K4 Parking light warning light) on the headlight switch (E1 on diagram)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/baybus_71_fixed.jpg

Presumably this is live when the ignition is off and lights are on?

Only if the headlight switch is pulled to the first position, it goes dead when the main headlights are on (at least on real OG switches, many aftermarket ones power it on both clicks), 58 would be the better choice.

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight buzzer Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
SGKent wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
spacebiscuit wrote:

Colin

Nope, OG one, it's just been tortured by PO battery installs and 48 years of use, it doesn't matter how shiny I get the contacts or how much grease I use it still dies and needs a wiggle or thump every few years. I'm hoping someone repros the chrome edged markers properly one day, I might just have to kick an OG part to the curb and dare to install something new.

I found an aftermarket LED light that I could use the back portion of along with the stock side marker lens. With minimal work I was able to shape the LED's body to match the shape of the van's body. Since I had long ago since drilled holes through the body so I could bolt the old rotten stock assembly on using machine screws through the holes in the lens I didn't even have to do any additional drilling.

Note there are many different designs of LED marker lights out there, some will work better here than others, some are flat on the back and can't be shaped to match the curve of the van's body, while others are hollow and can be.
spacebiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight buzzer Reply with quote

Would this relay be suitable for this job:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B019I0E2LU?pf_...8DHHJFW7WV
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight buzzer Reply with quote

If it's a piezo (sp?) buzzer you won't need a relay, if it's a small mechanical horn driven by an internal coil you'll need a diode, I can't imagine where a relay would come into play in this circuit.

Try powering it with 12 volts, both ways, if it does nothing with the polarity reversed you are good to go as is.

Слава Україні!
spacebiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight buzzer Reply with quote

According to the article I found:

"the Relay being in a ‘Normally Closed’ position would make the buzzer sound all the time the lights are on, but the power from the ignition opens the relay and stops the buzzer sounding. When you turn off the ignition and remove the key, the relay closes, and if the lights are still on, the buzzer sounds."
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight buzzer Reply with quote

Ahhh..., I see, yes, that would work, but it's much more complicated than it needs to be. A simple diode would achieve the same result with fewer wires and no moving parts. And if the buzzer you have is polarity dependant already you don't even need the diode.

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: