Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best ball joints? troubles with new Lemforders
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Best ball joints? troubles with new Lemforders Reply with quote

whoever wants to send joints and arms I will test them.

Robbie, no lube needed. just thinking about you makes me moister than an oyster

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
jeb1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Best ball joints? troubles with new Lemforders Reply with quote

I took a closer look at the Nakatas I bought, the boxes say China. Guess I should have paid closer attention.

Has anyone purchased the Napa Premium (NCP 2601145) or the AC Delco (45D0000) joints from Rock Auto? The pictures in the online catalogs are identical, just that Napa is $62 and Rock Auto is $30.

I also noticed ads in the classifieds for torsion arm exchanges, one vendor states Meyle ball joints, the other Lemforders.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Best ball joints? troubles with new Lemforders Reply with quote

jeb1978 wrote:
I took a closer look at the Nakatas I bought, the boxes say China. Guess I should have paid closer attention.

Has anyone purchased the Napa Premium (NCP 2601145) or the AC Delco (45D0000) joints from Rock Auto? The pictures in the online catalogs are identical, just that Napa is $62 and Rock Auto is $30.

I also noticed ads in the classifieds for torsion arm exchanges, one vendor states Meyle ball joints, the other Lemforders.

My understanding the NAPA items are Lemforders without the badging.
As mentioned further up in this thread, I order Nakata’s from Brazil for around $60 shipped off Ebay.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stigma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Best ball joints? troubles with new Lemforders Reply with quote

If anyone is still stuck and looking for quality balljoints I have a set of boxed NOS 1970's joints that I can sell. will upload some pics later.
jeb1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Best ball joints? troubles with new Lemforders Reply with quote

I ended up buying a set of exchange torsion arms with Lemforder ball joints off of a vendor here on The Samba for my 1969 Westfalia.

The rebuilt torsion arms I installed in ~2005 had Febi ball joints and never did really loosen up.

The Lemforders were about a 50% improvement in steering effort immediately upon installation with no drive time, at least from my unscientific test of turning the steering wheel lock to lock.

Time will tell after this, I guess. I've put about ~300 miles on them so far and they feel about the same as initial installation.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Best ball joints? troubles with new Lemforders Reply with quote

Nakata ball joints from Brazil. Replaced all four on my 68 beam. They were quality units, and got the pass from me and my mentor, who’s been working on VW’s since ‘66.

Sam

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nuked2001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Best ball joints? troubles with new Lemforders Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Nakata ball joints from Brazil. Replaced all four on my 68 beam. They were quality units, and got the pass from me and my mentor, who’s been working on VW’s since ‘66.

Sam

Where did you find the Nakata (Brazil) Ball Joints? Any feedback on how they turned out? About the roll the dice with some Lemfoerders from AutohausAZ, Flennors from Ebay or Nakatas from Airheadparts. Any recent experiences from the group or am I best pulling a random name out of the hat?

Pictures of the originals below. Wishing I could buy those!

Kris
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Best ball joints? troubles with new Lemforders Reply with quote

I purchased 4 Nakata’s off eBay for what I remember less than $60 shipped.
Received them, packaging had Brazil (and Portuguese) all over it.

They weren’t too stiff, had what my friend said was proper movement and had the correct spacing for the notches to line up in the trailing arm.

Been almost 2k miles, happy thus far.

Sam

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Best ball joints? troubles with new Lemforders Reply with quote

nuked2001 wrote:
SamboSamba22 wrote:

Sam

Where did you find the Nakata (Brazil) Ball Joints? Any feedback on how they turned out? About the roll the dice with some Lemfoerders from AutohausAZ, Flennors from Ebay or Nakatas from Airheadparts. Any recent experiences from the group or am I best pulling a random name out of the hat?

Pictures of the originals below. Wishing I could buy those!

Kris

We would all buy those if they were still made. I looked for a set for 10 years and they aren't out there. Real shame too.
nuked2001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Best ball joints? troubles with new Lemforders Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
I purchased 4 Nakata’s off eBay for what I remember less than $60 shipped.
Received them, packaging had Brazil (and Portuguese) all over it.

They weren’t too stiff, had what my friend said was proper movement and had the correct spacing for the notches to line up in the trailing arm.

Been almost 2k miles, happy thus far.

Sam

Thanks Sam. Keeping an eye out for those, appreciate the report and glad to hear they're working out well for you!
Kris
nuked2001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Best ball joints? troubles with new Lemforders Reply with quote

I just picked up 3 Nakatas from Brazil from a vendor on here and one from ebay. Unfortunately, one of the 3 is not a Nakata and was some nasty no-brand joint.

That leaves me with 3 good Brazilian Nakatas and in search for 1 more. I know what a long shot question this is, but if anyone happens to have a single Brazilian Nakata I'd love to take it off your hands.

Thanks!
Kris
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Best ball joints? troubles with new Lemforders Reply with quote

I'm looking for ball joints for my bus and two of my OG ball joints are complete garbage and have a 1/16 inch of up down movement in the socket. I may need 4 but I plan to do a lot of driving and want good ones. So it looks like of the ones tested, Nakatas are the best. Now a few I havent heard mention that I have found were Dorman on parts geek https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1972/volkswagen/transporter/suspension/ball_joint.html
Anyone try the ACDelco ball joints yet? It says they have a limited lifetime warranty so I would think that means they are good (?)
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=389587&cc=1441346&jsn=12
And I haven't heard Beck/Arnley mentioned and they have a 3 year 50,000 mile warranty
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=493307&cc=1441346&jsn=10
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Best ball joints? troubles with new Lemforders Reply with quote

We installed four no-name Rockauto balljoints, and haven't had a problem in 500 miles of driving. Make sure you index them when you install them. There is a notch that has to be aligned.
trihartsfield
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Best ball joints? troubles with new Lemforders Reply with quote

[quote="skills@eurocarsplus"]
a57oval wrote:

even the guy on the box is throwing them in the fucking trash Laughing

man, we have for sure hit a new low here...

Now that shit is funny!!![/b][/i][/u]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Best ball joints? troubles with new Lemforders Reply with quote

has anyone tried this - supposedly awesome - ball joint supplier ? "RARE PARTS"
they have a bus ball joint of taiwanese origin ...

https://shop.rareparts.com/search?year=1978&make=VOLKSWAGEN&model=TRANSPORTER

https://www.amazon.com/Rare-Parts-RP10186-Ball-Joi...merReviews

Some of their custom stuff (e.g. the "dual load" ball joints for Jeeps) looks REALLY really nice
https://rareparts.com/dual-load-carrying-ball-joints

so I would assume their bus OE replacement stuff would be very nice

sure wish i had known about them before i plunked down for all those Lemforder China ball joints / Ocap Italy stuff from AutohausAZ ... no problems to report on my rebuild, bus drives GREAT .. but i have a better feeling about this Rare Parts stuff.

In my experience, the Taiwan parts > Chinese parts 10 out of 10 times.

i suspect this may be the 'solution' everyone has been searching for
i do also suspect that many people will be too stubbornly cheap to ante up though Smile

I just wish they would put grease nipples on everything....
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Best ball joints? troubles with new Lemforders Reply with quote

Got some ball joints today, I ordered them from rock auto and they are AC Delco but reboxed and the actual brand is Ocap it seems good, I will do some test and add some more pics

“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Best ball joints? troubles with new Lemforders Reply with quote

Any idea where they are made? I got some Ocap tie rods for my most recent Bus front end rebuild...and they were made in italy. they seem fine. maybe better than my "EU" Meyles on the other bus ...
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Best ball joints? troubles with new Lemforders Reply with quote

metahacker wrote:
Any idea where they are made? I got some Ocap tie rods for my most recent Bus front end rebuild...and they were made in italy. they seem fine. maybe better than my "EU" Meyles on the other bus ...

Well....Ocap is an Italian company. They do have several plants in Italy.
As of 2002 they have one or more in India. In 2007 they opened one or more in China. In 2012.....they opened "offices" in Russia and France.

Quality level now? I just dont know.

As far a "RareParts".....very mixed. Some of their stufc I have seen is very good quality. But for example.....their version of the VW 411 and 412 balljoint is pure junk. The flange bends when you bolt it down. And the cost.....is high.

By the way....I just went to RareParts website and looked up a ball joint for VW 411 and 412.....and they state "must send core for rebuild".....$256 for each hall joint.

Ihttps://shop.rareparts.com/search?year=1972&make=VOLKSWAGEN&model=411

I can build you a solution (for my car) using aftermarket generic racing ball joints that covers both joints and is rebuildable......for that much or less.

I have no idea what they have for a bus. Wait....here it is....

https://shop.rareparts.com/BE1013378-10186-BALL-JO...RANSPORTER

Ray
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Best ball joints? troubles with new Lemforders Reply with quote

[quote="trihartsfield"]
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
a57oval wrote:

even the guy on the box is throwing them in the fucking trash Laughing

man, we have for sure hit a new low here...

Now that shit is funny!!![/b][/i][/u]

URO

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Best ball joints? troubles with new Lemforders Reply with quote

If you know, you know:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/382007130683
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: