Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kamei Front Spoiler / Lip / Air Dam Info and Installation
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Kamei Front Spoiler / Lip / Air Dam Info and Installation Reply with quote

***Note: There are different versions of the Kamei for standard beetles vs super beetles***

Original Kamei front spoilers are pretty rare, but there are a decent amount of reproductions available. Usually can be found Samba Classifieds, eBay, parts swaps, etc. They aren't available new from vendors (AFAIK).

Front Kamei "spoilers" (more correctly a front 'air dam') are a popular accessory and they also provide increases in stability at highway speeds for the beetles. . The main advantage is the reduction of 'front end lift' at highway speeds, which decreases the front end 'lightness' at speed.

Here's a thread with actual wind tunnel data which demonstrates this:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=490066

Additional threads with info on these front air dams
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=694350&highlight=kamei
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635486&highlight=kamei
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7868541&highlight=#7868541
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7774408&highlight=#7774408
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...=titleonly

Long story, short:
I liked the look and potential functional benefits of the Kamei, but....

The Original Kamei's mounted by drilling through the front fenders and bolting the Kamei to the fenders at the bottom and by "sandwiching" the top lip of the Kamei between the inner lip of the bumper and the bumper bracket.

I didn't want to drill unnecessary holes in my fenders, so I fabricated some supporting brackets to use instead of the fender mounting method (as all the fender mounting does is to prevent the Kamei from 'tucking under' under the air pressure at highway speeds. So all I needed to do was make something to perform that same function.

Also, as usual- I wanted to be follow the theory of "modification without alteration"; meaning that I prefer my add-ons to be easily reversible without permanent changes to the fundamental ACVW canvas.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Supplies:
---You'll need some longer, appropriately sized hardware to replace the lower bumper mounting bolts
(I used SAE stainless steel "carriage bolts" (5/16" x 3/4" long)
---Aluminum flat stock 1/8"x1"x3ft piece (each bracket used about 12")
---Electric drill & drill bits of appropriate size
--- "Burnishing" wheel/ grinder/sander/sandpaper
--- A few clamps
--- Pliers of various types

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Now onto the project:
Aluminum flat stock 1/8"x1"x3ft piece (each bracket used about 12" IIRC)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Brackets cut to size and bent, also note 'smoothed' ends (sanded to remove sharp/square edges to prevent scratching against the bumper or the Kamei)

Mounting holes drilled to mount the bracket to bumper bolts

Measurements of bends, mounting holes etc. (one word of advice- drill the holes maybe a 1/4" closer to the end of the bracket, to prevent the end rubbing on the inside of the bumper.

Brackets painted rattle-can rustoleum gloss black to blend in behind the bumper

I used longer SAE stainless steel "carriage bolts" (5/16" x 3/4" long), nuts and washers to put it all together. I used the two lower, outer bumper mounting bolts for mounting the top side of the Kamei, but there is no 'permanent attachment' from the bracket to the spoiler at the bottom. I simply bent the bracket so that its bottom end was about an 1/8" from touching the Kamei (to prevent 'chattering' between the bracket and Kamei around town, but so that when the air pressure increased against the Kamei on the highway it would not allow it to 'tuck under' and be ineffective at doing its job.

Also, I chose to make the bracket as a curved radius (rather than a 'sharp' bend) so that (theoretically) as the air pushed against the bottom of the spoiler it would transfer the force up, around, and push into the mounting bolt thereby using the sheer strength of the carriage bolt at the top, rather than simply relying on the bracket 'bend strength'/'rigidity of the aluminum itself.

Various perspectives of brackets and spoiler installed on my 73 standard:

Happy Bug'n
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor

Last edited by AlmostHeavenWV_VW on Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:51 am; edited 1 time in total
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Kamei Front Spoiler / Lip / Air Dam Info and Installation Reply with quote

You've become and tireless cataloger of cool VW things lately. Nice work again!

I bet you could fab and sell those brackets too for the fabrication-challenged.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mertman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Kamei Front Spoiler / Lip / Air Dam Info and Installation Reply with quote

That's a neat solution!

I used to run one on my bug. It was a 1303 version though so I didn't keep it for long, but I refrained from drilling my fenders like you did. It did make a difference though. At speed it felt much more stable!

neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Kamei Front Spoiler / Lip / Air Dam Info and Installation Reply with quote

I installed the repro air dam from V-Force Performance and elected to drill four holes in the lower bumper only (5 mm attachment bolts) as I didn’t want to touch the fenders:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=529913&start=20

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
VengeanceASX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Kamei Front Spoiler / Lip / Air Dam Info and Installation Reply with quote

Do these really work? They look pretty cool I guess even if they don't work.
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Kamei Front Spoiler / Lip / Air Dam Info and Installation Reply with quote

VengeanceASX wrote:
Do these really work? They look pretty cool I guess even if they don't work.

Yes, they do. They even did a windtunnel test on them:

That's a page from the manual, for the other pages, see:
http://www.gerrelt.nl/category-documents/kameifrontspoiler

I did the same thing as AlmostHeavenWV_VW, I didn't want to drill holes in the fenders too.
But my brackets are in two parts, and I did bolt it to the bottom of the spoiler.
I also added two brackets in the middle, that attached the bottom of the spoiler to the front of the framehead. But my car is a 1303, so it's a bit different there.
See:
http://www.gerrelt.nl/section-aerodynamics/modifications-kamei
The spoiler I used was meant for a standard beetle, but it fitted with minor adjustments.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Kamei Front Spoiler / Lip / Air Dam Info and Installation Reply with quote

Excellent job!
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Kamei Front Spoiler / Lip / Air Dam Info and Installation Reply with quote

Just pondering for I bet you are thinking a Jig on your brackets..

I like the info that is here and the report planning on selling them?

Hope you are good, yea, fellow German Looker Eunthiest is all.. RB
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Kamei Front Spoiler / Lip / Air Dam Info and Installation Reply with quote

When I fitted the Kamei Spoiler to my Volkswagen S (VW 1302S) back in 1981 the centre of the spoiler was very close to the valence below the hood. All I did was put some resilient foam (hard type) and stuck it between the spoiler and the bodywork using double sided tape. This fixed the problem. A central support is all that was needed.

One thing to be aware of with the spoilers is that while the models made a long time ago had a dimple pattern in the front surface. The new ones are made with a plain flat surface. This plain flat surface has minor marks from the manufacturing process and requires the spoiler to be painted. I have six of them and they are all the same.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Kamei Front Spoiler / Lip / Air Dam Info and Installation Reply with quote

Were the First Kombie's made of Pro-Injected Molded Plastic? Why they flex?

I am running a knock-off for there unavailable, and mine is a Fiber Glass version, very stiff and have Four Bolts mounting it to the bumper. Not to say the reinforcement bracket is not needed.... RB
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Kamei Front Spoiler / Lip / Air Dam Info and Installation Reply with quote

As far as I am aware the material is ABS.
New Kamei Spoilers are available.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Kamei Front Spoiler / Lip / Air Dam Info and Installation Reply with quote

Meiang, were are you able to source the Kamei Air Dams from? Looking for them now since you say there available for my notes..

Thanks for your time.. RB
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Kamei Front Spoiler / Lip / Air Dam Info and Installation Reply with quote

Option for US buyers. I wanted one but apparently they wont fit on my 74 with impact bumper mounts Sad

https://www.ebay.com/i/233082528284?chn=ps

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Kamei Front Spoiler / Lip / Air Dam Info and Installation Reply with quote

I can't see why the Kamei Spoiler will not fit an impact absorbing bumper. Here is a picture of one.

Spoilers come up on Ebay all the time. Just have to be looking.
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Kamei Front Spoiler / Lip / Air Dam Info and Installation Reply with quote

Meiang wrote:
I can't see why the Kamei Spoiler will not fit an impact absorbing bumper. Here is a picture of one.

Maybe it just requires a little bit of custom install. Can anyone else chime in on this? I've been wanting one for a while.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
VengeanceASX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Kamei Front Spoiler / Lip / Air Dam Info and Installation Reply with quote

I think I'm going to have to do this.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Kamei Front Spoiler / Lip / Air Dam Info and Installation Reply with quote

I will chime into this one for I mounted mine by myself and was winging it. Guess I got the angle right for it did help performance at speed in a big way.

I used PVC 3/4" pipe I had and contored the cutes into each side so that I could get the angel right. Yes it took a bit of time for I have 4 Stainless Bolts holding it in place, but in the end it worked out, plus once tightened down pretty snuggly which you can do with PVC with the Blots going through them, it seams stationary to me. Also, mine is Fiber Glass. Oh, once done I put a few dabs of Blue Lock Tite on the nuts to make sure they would not rattle loose.. RB

Volcrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Kamei Front Spoiler / Lip / Air Dam Info and Installation Reply with quote

RailBoy wrote:
Meiang, were are you able to source the Kamei Air Dams from? Looking for them now since you say there available for my notes..

Thanks for your time.. RB

I bought mine from Hoffmann when I was in Germany and carried it back.

https://en.hoffmann-speedster.com/beetle/body-oute...0?c=135938
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Kamei Front Spoiler / Lip / Air Dam Info and Installation Reply with quote

I think he is looking for a 1302/1303 version not the standard Beetle which Hoffman Speedster have.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Kamei Front Spoiler / Lip / Air Dam Info and Installation Reply with quote

Mine came out of Australia, forget the guys who made it, but maybe the location can tell you to email to confirm what you are looking for.... RB
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: