Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

There's chopsticks under the syncro
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
newerwesty1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: There's chopsticks under the syncro Reply with quote

Usually the noise is only there after taking off from a stop or turn then it goes away. Doesn't have the typical CV wear sound. Much more like chopsticks slapping together then 5 seconds later its gone.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: There's chopsticks under the syncro Reply with quote

Add to the bucket list of things I've never done........

Slap chop sticks together. 🤷‍♂️

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: There's chopsticks under the syncro Reply with quote

Loose driveshaft bolts? Or could be as simple as something coming loose from a retainer and bouncing around under there, like wires or a hose maybe.

Now that I've had my Syncro a while I feel like phantom chopstick-type noises are just another part of my daily routine. Smile

(Edit: I should note that I'm in my kitchen and just got two chopsticks out of the drawer to see what banging them together sounds like. It's like a higher-pitched drum count at the beginning of a song.)

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: There's chopsticks under the syncro Reply with quote

Obviously, you have a pebble under your hubcap...maybe...

<shrug>

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
newerwesty1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: There's chopsticks under the syncro Reply with quote

Spent a lot of time under there on the floor creeper. Everything is super tight. No loose anything. Alloy wheels. It's loud when it happens but I feel nothing.

It has been going on for a long time now. Probably is just something else to live with. Now if only I can get my clutch pedal to stop squeaking so loudly!

Edit: Change that to drum sticks slapping together. The chopsticks dont have the mass I need.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: There's chopsticks under the syncro Reply with quote

Go back under the van and work both CV shafts through their full plunge range. In other words, all the way inboard and then outboard. Do this multiple times. This might move some grease on to a "dry" spot and temporarily quiet the noise. If it does, time to service the CV's.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: There's chopsticks under the syncro Reply with quote

I had an unidentified noise that drove me nuts for a few months, only on the right side, only over bumps. Finally figured out that the caliper pins were loose and the caliper was rattling.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: There's chopsticks under the syncro Reply with quote

Mine sounds like two plastic sporks fighting for primacy in the drawer.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: There's chopsticks under the syncro Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Mine sounds like two plastic sporks fighting for primacy in the drawer.

Sporks like this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: