Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

One-Way Flight & A New Syncro
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BCgee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: One-Way Flight & A New Syncro Reply with quote

Finally pulled the trigger and bought a Syncro! Equally awesome, a one-way flight and 1000mi+ road trip home was surprisingly uneventful.

The van: 1987 Syncro Tintop, swapped Weekender interior, rebuilt transmission, SVX heart, and a track record with lots of little maintenance and upgrade items.

The Trip: Bay Area to SW Montana: over Tahoe/Donner Pass, through the Nevada desert, and last through Yellowstone and snowy roads.

No Issues. None. Karma and the Force were with me, obviously. For those interested in tactics, I kept it KISS: speed to no more than ~65, let everything breathe and cool down daily, check fluids routinely, and listen more to the van than the stereo. Never had to open the Bentley (yes, it flew with me for the trip).

Added spice factor for the trip were broken odometers and nonfunctional gas gauge. Indeed, I carried a 5 gal Jerry can of 91 in the passenger bay.

Grateful for all the knowledge and tips gleaned here on TS; will try and document some of the future tweaks/projects and keep the sharing going. Also, FWIW a great experience buying from a Sambanista 👍

Cheers from Montana

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: One-Way Flight & A New Syncro Reply with quote

Congratulations...but I need snow on your roof before I believe you! Laughing Laughing Laughing

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: One-Way Flight & A New Syncro Reply with quote

Congrats and welcome to the fold!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: One-Way Flight & A New Syncro Reply with quote

Schweeet. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: One-Way Flight & A New Syncro Reply with quote

Neato, well-done and welcome! Enjoy.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: One-Way Flight & A New Syncro Reply with quote

Congrats! Nothing like a road trip to kick off van ownership! What part of Montana? There are quite a few of us in/around the Bozeman area.
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: One-Way Flight & A New Syncro Reply with quote

Scott Shelley’s old van. Nice!

Looking forward to following your future projects.

Bill
Engine Conversion Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612144&highlight=
85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: One-Way Flight & A New Syncro Reply with quote

Congrats! Great looking van. Must have been a great drive home, especially in winter. How'd she do up and over Donner Pass with the conversion? I remember when we'd drive ours up to Truckee, loaded up for ski trips, on the stock motor with all 90 ponies we'd be in the slowwww lane, with semis passing us! That's no longer a problem however...
oldskewlsk8ter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: One-Way Flight & A New Syncro Reply with quote

I’m glad someone got it. I’ve been contemplating it since he put it up but wanted to wait until my truck sold so I didn’t have to dip into savings! You got a helluva deal...congrats!
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: One-Way Flight & A New Syncro Reply with quote

I wanted that van! Congrats
Mathew Zelezen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: One-Way Flight & A New Syncro Reply with quote

Enjoy!.. and start saving up!
They like to lul you into a false sense of security and then WHAMO!
Hahahaha. Seriously though, congrats.
I live in Truckee and that Pass is no joke for us stock engines.. sounds like a great trip!

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these: It might have been.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: One-Way Flight & A New Syncro Reply with quote

Congratulations! I love that van. One of best Monstaliner jobs out there.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: One-Way Flight & A New Syncro Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
One of best Monstaliner jobs out there.

I was just thinking this too, the monstaliner job is not usually my thing but on this vehicle (particularly that color) it really looks "right." Very nice!
BCgee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: One-Way Flight & A New Syncro Reply with quote

Appreciate the kudos, all!

For the record an SVX is like cheating when it comes to tackling hills - seriously have to watch the lead foot tendencies given the huge smile on your face passing semis and minivans. Already looking into how to add a tranny temp gauge to protect the newly rebuilt Mr. Gas investment.

As for the Monstaliner paint job, I agree, most times it would detract, but with this Syncro it simply works! Even better, the Wife thinks it’s nice and is voluntarily talking about hightops and artistic tweaks 👌

Cheers
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: One-Way Flight & A New Syncro Reply with quote

If momma is happy then everyone is happy.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
redrocksteady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: One-Way Flight & A New Syncro Reply with quote

Congrats, beautiful van!
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: One-Way Flight & A New Syncro Reply with quote

BCgee wrote:
Already looking into how to add a tranny temp gauge to protect the newly rebuilt Mr. Gas investment.

From Temperature Control (electric) - Manual Transaxle gearoil cooler

Fresh and experimental location for the temp sensor shows the temperature of hot oil coming off 4th gear so you know if 4th gear is getting hot, without having to wait for the temp 110 lbs of steel, magnesiun, and oil to average. Members 87VanWes and Jalan have done it. I will do it soon on my van. Too soon to proclaim it as "the best location" but it's our current darling.

I'd dump out that break-in oil as often as you can tolerate, & keep doing it until the magnet clears up.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
BCgee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: One-Way Flight & A New Syncro Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
I'd dump out that break-in oil as often as you can tolerate, & keep doing it until the magnet clears up.

Appreciate the tip, Sodo! My paranoia is already high and regular fluid maintenance is the cost of admission as far as I’m concerned owning an SVX Vanagon.

FWIW Mr Gas apparently threaded a new 1/8” sensor plug on the last build; will probably start with figuring out how to install an appropriate sending unit et al, then consider oil cooler or squirt magic. If you or others have suggestions on a good sending unit/gauge kit or particular components please do share.

Cheers
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: