Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 69 Bug Build
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VengeanceASX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: My 69 Bug Build Reply with quote

So I picked up my first ever Air cooled car last month, a 1969 VW Beetle. I've had a few posts, so I figured I would just start a build thread. This is a daily driver that I picked up to use to commute to work 3 times a week. So I am trying to fix it up while maintaining drivability until the summer, when I can strip and paint it.

This is not my first car restoration. I've done a dozen or so restorations and a few motorcycles. I know my way around a wrench, but this is my first Air Cooled VW. Hopefully not my last.

Here's what I started with.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Had to fix the only rust I could find in the car.

Cleaned up some wiring and a radio that wouldn't turn off.

Pulled the interior, POR 15 and some sound deadener.

Don't know what they kept back there, but it left its marks.

Sound deadener. I hope it's as good as the 3 headliners I removed.

This next weekend, I hope to finish the sound deadener so I can put the seats back in. I am planning on wiring in a fuel pump relay and getting my new seatbelts (back ordered for over a month now) and bumpers on.
I have another set of seats, doors, fenders, hood, and deck that I will be working with where needed. I think I am putting a new rear deck on with better venting and the original fenders on for the tail lights.
I also have a set of doors with OG paint and original wind wings that I am going to install. I'll keep you updated as it progresses. I

Feel free to comment and leave suggestions. It is my first time... Laughing
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: My 69 Bug Build Reply with quote

Nice project! You started with a car in pretty good shape, and you certainly know how to weld - nice patchwork! In the engine, you will probably want to find a real VW air filter (oil based). Also the vacuum line between the distributor and the carb look wrong to me, but it could be a set-up I'm not familiar with.

Regarding sound deadening, there is no need to cover every square inch with the stick-on vibration stuff. VW did with the old tar board because that is all they had to work with. The best products suggest that covering 30% of the metal surface is all you need - enough to kill the vibrations. Even 100% won't reduce air noise by much. But everyone in the VW world seems determined to cover every inch with the stick-on stuff and do nothing more. But after 30% coverage with the stick-on stuff (butyl-based preferred), you can reduce air noise significantly by covering 100% of the surface with a 1/8 inch layer of cell foam (neoprene) and then cover 100% with an 1/8 inch layer of mass-loaded vinyl. These last two products are inexpensive.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VengeanceASX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: My 69 Bug Build Reply with quote

Ha, Yeah I went a little over kill in the sound deadening compartment. I bought 100 sq ft of the stuff on Amazon. I got most of the roof done and realized when I tapped on it that it was probably good right there. I already picked up an oil bath air breather and am in the process of restoring that. I also got the pre heat stove pipe and ducting to hook all of that up along with the bent vacuum tube for the distributor to the carb. I am also going to add all the vent setup and even a charcoal canister like the 70 and up Beetle. The PO had a venting gas cap on and I am changing all of that.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 Bug Build Reply with quote

Rockin' and Rollin'

Your wiring looks great now.

Tom's practical approach to the sound material is a day late for me I've got rolls and rolls of quickroof in the basement now, and I'm a-gonna-use-it, just like these pics here! lol

Nice yellow bug. The two tone looks cool. Enjoy the driving - we're salted in for the winter over here.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
VengeanceASX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: My 69 Bug Build Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm working on the asphalt stuff in the pan. Luckily it's only on the driver side and tunnel. I'll get on it with the heat gun this weekend probably. I have a set of green fenders correct for the year and some green doors that have vent wings in them. I think the one piece window kit lets water in or doesn't drain as well or something because the bottoms of the doors are pretty rusty on the inside and the panels were ruined from water damage. I also have a green deck lid for the rear. I think once I add all of those things, I'll throw some white primer on it until summer. I'm having a blast on this thing!
VengeanceASX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: My 69 Bug Build Reply with quote

So I got my new heat gun in to tackle the floor pans and that thing worked great! I read a post here not too long ago about whether or not to remove the original tar paper sound deadener and let me tell you I am sure glad I did. Not rust from the bottom, but oh man was there some water trapped at some point. I think there was even some white mildew between the layers.

I fully recommend removing this stuff! I poled around and welded a couple pin holes where the pan was thin, neutralized and POR15.

VengeanceASX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: My 69 Bug Build Reply with quote

I also removed some old sound deadener that had been stuck on the right rear quarter panel and noticed there were tons of dents and holes where someone had attached a slide hammer to pull it out. Tons of Bondo was used to make it straight on the outside. It happened with the original paint and had 4 paint jobs after that with primer in between all but the last one. I got distracted and hammered everything back out and welded the holes. I will post some pictures this weekend, but I forgot to take before pictures. I'm guessing this thing was hit back there, maybe the engine hit the firewall and that's how those dents and a newer engine got there??? Also new stick on side chrome??? pulled the paint off when I removed it.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: My 69 Bug Build Reply with quote

VengeanceASX wrote:
I also removed some old sound deadener that had been stuck on the right rear quarter panel and noticed there were tons of dents and holes where someone had attached a slide hammer to pull it out. Tons of Bondo was used to make it straight on the outside. It happened with the original paint and had 4 paint jobs after that with primer in between all but the last one. I got distracted and hammered everything back out and welded the holes. I will post some pictures this weekend, but I forgot to take before pictures. I'm guessing this thing was hit back there, maybe the engine hit the firewall and that's how those dents and a newer engine got there??? Also new stick on side chrome??? pulled the paint off when I removed it.

Oh man you are down the rabbit hole now aren't you!!! Bugs. Brick wall This one has finally found a good home.

You have a really nice touch on the welder. I thought so seeing the front inner repair you did - but that pan... wow. I would have been blowing holes through that pan all day. Nice save.

Looking forward to the updates. God speed.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
VengeanceASX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: My 69 Bug Build Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Oh man you are down the rabbit hole now aren't you!!! Bugs. Brick wall This one has finally found a good home.

You have a really nice touch on the welder. I thought so seeing the front inner repair you did - but that pan... wow. I would have been blowing holes through that pan all day. Nice save.

Looking forward to the updates. God speed.

Down the rabbit hole is a good way of putting it.

Thanks for the compliment! I welded for living through college mainly building bottle holders for a calf ranch with 22 ga galvanized sheet metal. On the same machine I would have to do multipass 1/2" plate for cotton gins and the like. My only problem here is the rusty metal and .035 wire. I'm too lazy to swap spools for the little sheet metal I do now.
zmichael84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 Bug Build Reply with quote

Now that I'm on the home stretch for my 69 build, I appreciate the current state of yours and the work you're doing. Keep chipping away at it and keep the updates coming; I'll be following! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VengeanceASX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 Bug Build Reply with quote

I've been debating if I should take the sound deadener off of the tunnel? It is in really good shape and I don't see how water could get trapped under neath. Suggestions, please...
zmichael84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 Bug Build Reply with quote

It doesn't come off as easy as it does on the floorboards. I left it. You can get a good idea of condition with an inspection mirror through the shifter hole, or looking in the front cover.
VengeanceASX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 Bug Build Reply with quote

So I left the original sound deadener on the tunnel. Everything that I could tell was rust free so I just cleaned up the floor panels and coated with a Rust converter/barrier and finished the floor.

I finished knocking off and cleaning up the back right quarter panel where it was wrecked at some point and welded all the old holes up that were left from a slide hammer or puller. I welded some nuts in for the fenders and had one little spot of rust in the bottom corner to fix. Put some new fenders on it with properish tail lights(from a 1970) and a 1970 rear deck lid. I figure this newer 1600 dual port might need a little more air when it gets in the 100s this summer.

I also finished wiring up my new fuel pump relay and it starts and runs like a champ. Just need to vent the gas tank and add original air cleaner, engine stovepipe, and relocated the plastic fuel filter to somewhere safe. I still have a few heater ducts to run behind the dash, but I have all the parts. I will post more pics when I get a chance.

Any recommendations on where to put the fuel filter?

tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: My 69 Bug Build Reply with quote

The vacuum line from your distributor is going to the wrong port on your carburetor. It needs to be re-routed to the drivers side in front of the throttle spring.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: My 69 Bug Build Reply with quote

A preferred spot for the fuel filter is above the driver's rear axle where the metal fuel line exits the body. That way if it leaks or cracks the gas just ends up on the ground.

This is moving quickly! Smile
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
VengeanceASX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 Bug Build Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
The vacuum line from your distributor is going to the wrong port on your carburetor. It needs to be re-routed to the drivers side in front of the throttle spring.

I haven't touched the engine yet. I bought all new braided lines and a proper oil bath air cleaner, so when I change all of that I will address the vacuum line mess there. I picked up the curved tube that goes from the dizzy to the carb, so that will go in there too.
VengeanceASX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 Bug Build Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
A preferred spot for the fuel filter is above the driver's rear axle where the metal fuel line exits the body. That way if it leaks or cracks the gas just ends up on the ground.

Should I stick with plastic?
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 Bug Build Reply with quote

VengeanceASX wrote:
Buggeee wrote:

I did. I just used the regular plastic filter but mounted it outside the engine compartment. I like that I can see whats in it. But I'm just one of many fools typing things on the interwebs. Let's see if anyone chimes in with other ideas.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 Bug Build Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
VengeanceASX wrote:
Buggeee wrote:

I did. I just used the regular plastic filter but mounted it outside the engine compartment. I like that I can see whats in it. But I'm just one of many fools typing things on the interwebs. Let's see if anyone chimes in with other ideas.

I did the same as Buugee.
Great project!
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My 69 Bug Build Reply with quote

I did that as well, and zip-tied the filter and part of the fuel hose to the clutch cable Bowden tube so it doesn't flop around.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: