Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turbo charging a 1973 1600cc standard beetle (stock currently)
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parkerm463
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Turbo charging a 1973 1600cc standard beetle (stock currently) Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new to putting performance parts in a VW beetle. I would love advice on what I need to change in the engine before I buy a turbo kit and slap one in.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo charging a 1973 1600cc standard beetle (stock currently) Reply with quote

I have not done it but did remember reading about what the engine would need to prepare it for a turbo kit on this web page at www.vwturbokits.com they have a link titled "what should I add for turbo use?" Basically it talks about strong valvetrain components.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo charging a 1973 1600cc standard beetle (stock currently) Reply with quote

one common modification is a reduction in compression ratio.

a very good book on the subject is Turbomania by Bob Tomlinson...

https://www.amazon.com/Turbomania-Bob-Tomlinson/dp/B0006EZBWW

Turbomania covers the VW Bug motor turbo charging upgrade well. It is an old book, but lots of good info on how to set up the motor. This should set you in the right direction.

You will also find info using the search function on Samba. search for turbo, turbocharger, etc... Search all the relevant forms, ie the Performance Engine forum, all years Bug forums, ghia forum, early Bus forum etc... as these vehicles all used the same basic motor as the Bug.

You can also ask at VW performance shops, My VW local shop has a turbo build in process, you near Belmont?

Let us know about your Bug, photos please!

A Big Samba Turbo Charged Welcome to you!

Bug On! Turbo Spinning!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo charging a 1973 1600cc standard beetle (stock currently) Reply with quote

Parkerm463 wrote:
Hi, I'm new to putting performance parts in a VW beetle. I would love advice on what I need to change in the engine before I buy a turbo kit and slap one in.

You need to provide more details on what your goal is (blow through, draw through, ignition, fuel delivery, how many lbs of boost, etc...).

If you want to spin the motor below 5000rpm and get 6-8lbs of boost, a stock running longblock will do, and the only thing you will need to do is make sure the compression ratio is acceptable.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: