Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pebble Beach Concours
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ckissick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject: Pebble Beach Concours Reply with quote

I've entered my '50 in the Hillsborough and Stanford concours, and the people with their multi-million classics loved my car. A high percentage of them said their first car was a beetle. You know what I'm talking about. But what about Pebble Beach? Is there any possibility they would accept a split window beetle? I know there has been a Heb and perhaps a Rometsch, etc. But I couldn't find any evidence that a "regular" beetle has ever been there. Is it worth my time to apply for 2020? (It's too late for 2019, plus I'd like to do a few repairs.)
1989 syncro Tristar
1966 Porsche 912
1989 Beck Spyder
2007 GTI Fahrenheit
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Pebble Beach Concours Reply with quote

Just based on general listening, and no knowledge of Pebble Beach policies, I think the perception is that since they made so many of these cars, they aren't so rare or unusual that they deserve a spot at PB. No matter how few remain in original or 100% restored condition... the perception persists.

One of the criteria seems to be what the "meaning" of the car was/is. Did it change industry? Was it a revolution in some form of design or engineering? While the early VW fits some of these points, a particular car or year (if not earlier) probably does not.

Or at least that's what I glean from the Carini series (CCC).
John cilia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Pebble Beach Concours Reply with quote

I have been invited to 3 Concours de elegance events 3 years in a row with 2 first place wins. The last win was with my 1952 crotch cooler 11 G model. The event is the Cobble Beach Concourse de elegance show. The judges are the same ones from Pebble beach. It is the largest, most prestigious event in Canada.
Many of the cars that show up are American owned and they have told me how much they enjoy coming to this event.
The biggest problem with having VW beetles in a show like this is very simple.
How pissed off would you be if you restored a 356 Porsche for 400 k and you lost to a Beetle which has a lot less invested.
At these events the 356 is not really competing against the Beetle. Both cars are being judged as " is this the best example that this model can be ?" Even though they might be put into the same class of competition.
So Cobble got around this mine field by having a VW class on its own. Which is another problem. It's difficult to find factory stock restored cars to fill a class.
I hope this helps.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The most important thing on a Tombstone is the Dash between the 2 dates.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikeandkirsti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Pebble Beach Concours Reply with quote

Very nice ragtop. The model designation is 12G however for the mid 1951 to 1953 ragtops. You should get the rear springs adjusted lower, the rear end sits way too high up. It is an easy fix.
John cilia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Pebble Beach Concours Reply with quote

Already done :^)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Pebble Beach Concours Reply with quote

John cilia wrote:
Already done :^)

And fix the placement of the front bumper guards. They should be on the outside holes not the inside.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
John cilia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Pebble Beach Concours Reply with quote

Mom warned me about days like this.

Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Pebble Beach Concours Reply with quote

ckissick wrote:
But what about Pebble Beach? Is there any possibility they would accept a split window beetle?
Well, since Pebble Beach is the oldest such show in the US (est. 1950), they traditionally adhere to the classical interpretation of the term “concours d’elegance”.
From Wikipedia: “Concours d'Elegance (French: concours d'élégance) is a term of French origin that means a "competition of elegance" and refers to an event where prestigious vehicles are displayed and judged”.
This pretty much precludes inclusion of “economy cars” such as the VW Beetle, as elegance was never the priority of the manufacturer. With that being said, inroads have been made in recent years with some “hot rods” & “woodies” being invited to attend. Couldn’t hurt to ask, I suppose. Good luck!
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Pebble Beach Concours Reply with quote

John cilia wrote:

well, you say you've won first place at a concours, then you should expect people to point out incorrect details on your car so you can improve it. Don't we all want to improve our cars?

details like mentioned above would prevent your car from winning at many events, as long as the judges know what they're even looking at.
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Pebble Beach Concours Reply with quote

sled wrote:
John cilia wrote:

well, you say you've won first place at a concours, then you should expect people to point out incorrect details on your car so you can improve it. Don't we all want to improve our cars?

details like mentioned above would prevent your car from winning at many events, as long as the judges know what they're even looking at.

yup.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Pebble Beach Concours Reply with quote

sled wrote:
John cilia wrote:

I think he was making a joke... I don't read offense, just amusement.
Wink
John cilia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Pebble Beach Concours Reply with quote

KTPhil your right. The world needs an enima, some people have forgotten how too smile 😃

my56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Pebble Beach Concours Reply with quote

In the beetle Type 1 model numbers in the technical section on the Samba. models #'s show from 1 May 1950 through 4 April 1954 a Deluxe sunroof is listed as an 11G or a 11H if right hand drive. Johns car looks to be an 11G left hand drive. I have never heard of a 12G does anyone have documentation of a 12G designation?
John cilia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Pebble Beach Concours Reply with quote

Correct, my birth certificate for car says 11 G.

Grant Reiling Premium Member
Samba Slow-Change Artist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Pebble Beach Concours Reply with quote

my56samba wrote:
In the beetle Type 1 model numbers in the technical section on the Samba. models #'s show from 1 May 1950 through 4 April 1954 a Deluxe sunroof is listed as an 11G or a 11H if right hand drive. Johns car looks to be an 11G left hand drive. I have never heard of a 12G does anyone have documentation of a 12G designation?

This very issue is one I've been puzzled by as well; as it happens, I'm currently restoring my March 14, 1952 Deluxe LHD Sunroof and have been utterly stumped by this seeming conundrum. My Birth Certificate lists it as a "Type 11G"...yet the car's ID plate reads "10/12G" Idea

The BC

I have no VW documentation that corroborates this apparent mystery; and wonder if anyone out in SambaLand happens to have more answers (for which I'm entirely grateful). Exclamation
Happy VW-ing!
Grant
What we imagine in our minds becomes our world. That’s just one of many things I have learned from water."
Misaru Emoto
The Hidden Messages in Water
Samba Slow-Change Artist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Pebble Beach Concours Reply with quote

Grant Reiling wrote:
my56samba wrote:

This very issue is one I've been puzzled by as well; as it happens, I'm currently restoring my March 14, 1952 Deluxe LHD Sunroof and have been utterly stumped by this seeming conundrum. My Birth Certificate lists it as a "Type 11G"...yet the car's ID plate reads "10/12G" Idea

The BC

I have no VW documentation that corroborates this apparent mystery; and wonder if anyone out in SambaLand happens to have more answers (for which I'm entirely grateful). Exclamation
Happy VW-ing!
Grant

[quote="mikeandkirsti"]Very nice ragtop. The model designation is 12G however for the mid 1951 to 1953 ragtops.
So, mikeandkirsti, as you stated with such certainty the 12G designation as being correct for '51-'53 sunroof cars; what information do you draw this conclusion from? Is there some original VW publication, technical bulletin or other to refer to...(other than just thin air)? Question
Whatever substantiating evidence you might share would once and for all put this anomaly to bed (+ be greatly appreciated). Exclamation Arrow
TIA
GRR Cool
...P.S. note that the BC in question (ca. 2002) - still lists the OG engine number. Wink
What we imagine in our minds becomes our world. That’s just one of many things I have learned from water."
Misaru Emoto
my56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Pebble Beach Concours Reply with quote

There is an older Split-Window topic thread on here titled 10/12G vs 11G that will mix you up even more with a Nov 50 10/11G a Dec 50 10/12G and a Zwitter claiming either a 1/11 or 1/13 model # someone stated a possibility of the 11 or 12 being a domestic or export market thing, With the 11G model only starting on May 1 1950 this would seem like a possibility otherwise 11G would have only been used for 7 months and I have heard of many people calling cars up to 54's 11G's many of them very knowledgable like Bob Sowerby (53 oval ) on here
Samba Slow-Change Artist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Pebble Beach Concours Reply with quote

my56samba wrote:
There is an older Split-Window topic thread on here titled 10/12G vs 11G that will mix you up even more with a Nov 50 10/11G a Dec 50 10/12G and a Zwitter claiming either a 1/11 or 1/13 model # someone stated a possibility of the 11 or 12 being a domestic or export market thing, With the 11G model only starting on May 1 1950 this would seem like a possibility otherwise 11G would have only been used for 7 months and I have heard of many people calling cars up to 54's 11G's many of them very knowledgable like Bob Sowerby (53 oval ) on here

Thanks for this update my56samba, From the BC (delivered to Rottger/Hagen)...and subsequent 40yrs worth of ownership history on the car - to its retrieval from a UK scrapyard; it's safe to say it was a German market car from Day one and since I've got more faith in the veracity of the stamped-metal ID plate (10/12G) than the BC as there've been numerous examples of those containing inaccuracies over the years... Exclamation Arrow
Thus, I'm going with the 12G designation unless factually disproven. Idea

Kelley Park 2019 will be its initial public showing; > I can hardly wait. Exclamation Cool Arrow
Misaru Emoto
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Pebble Beach Concours Reply with quote

my56samba wrote:

... I think in 1954 the 3 fold, became a 113. that's just officially, on paper - who cares 'bout all that stuff? I certainly don't - to me all 3 folds are 11G-like. Your '50 and my old 1950 11G are/were very interesting and rare-enough.

Rare is a funny word. Can mean different things, to different people - when I had my 1950 11G, I entered many a concourse, without hesitation. i suggest, you do the same - you'll definitely have your supporters and your naysayers - ha, ha - which camp will you welcome in?

I learned that there are so few really rare cars - A friend had, 1909 Carter Car - were all hand built - all nine of 'em. Today, most parts have to be hand made - they might be at the top'a the rare list, right down to a 1991 Honda CRX-HF, coming in at around 2000 made. Two thousand of the over 100,000 CRXs made, deems it rare enough, for me... maybe not to another. All that means is there are different opinions, which does not change a darn thing... no room in my life for naysayers, only those whom accept almost-everything

i met a court judge recently, who said, she was impartial - man, do i like that... impartial is key.

... my definition of rare is whatever rare means to the beholder. - definitely more than one way to view everything.... you think, it's rare - it's rare, period.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
Samba Slow-Change Artist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Pebble Beach Concours Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
my56samba wrote:

... I think in 1954 the 3 fold, became a 113. that's just officially, on paper - who cares 'bout all that stuff? I certainly don't - to me all 3 folds are 11G-like. Your '50 and my old 1950 11G are/were very interesting and rare-enough.

Rare is a funny word. Can mean different things, to different people - when I had my 1950 11G, I entered many a concourse, without hesitation. i suggest, you do the same - you'll definitely have your supporters and your naysayers - ha, ha - which camp will you welcome in?

I learned that there are so few really rare cars - A friend had, 1909 Carter Car - were all hand built - all nine of 'em. Today, most parts have to be hand made - they might be at the top'a the rare list, right down to a 1991 Honda CRX-HF, coming in at around 2000 made. Two thousand of the over 100,000 CRXs made, deems it rare enough, for me... maybe not to another. All that means is there are different opinions, which does not change a darn thing... no room in my life for naysayers, only those whom accept almost-everything

i met a court judge recently, who said, she was impartial - man, do i like that... impartial is key.

... my definition of rare is whatever rare means to the beholder. - definitely more than one way to view everything.... you think, it's rare - it's rare, period.

So true; all is relative, and each person's viewpoint is uniquely singular. Arrow
Misaru Emoto
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: