Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

vw case/block cleaning?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject: vw case/block cleaning? Reply with quote

Ok, i have now collected pretty much all of the part needed to start rebuilding my 1600 once an for all(expect bearings). the as41 case i own appears to not have any cracks as far as i can see. however, the case is VERY dirty. what is the best way to clean the case properly? Or should i just pay the fee to have it hot tanked? thanks
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: vw case/block cleaning? Reply with quote

also, the case looks worse on the inside
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: vw case/block cleaning? Reply with quote

Rain suit and a power washer is a decent first step. After that you can really look it over and decide if it's worth the next level of cleaning.
There's about a thousand threads on samba discussing what works best, search for more than you want to know..
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: vw case/block cleaning? Reply with quote

ok, i have a 212cc harbor freight pressure washer. is there even the slightest chance that my pressure washer can harm my case? thank you
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: vw case/block cleaning? Reply with quote

As long as you don’t blow it across the driveway you should be fine.
I usually spray and soak with Gunk Engine Cleaner, pressure rinse and follow up with carb cleaner or brake clean in the nooks and crannies. I’ve heard of people putting them in the dishwasher for a final clean as well.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: vw case/block cleaning? Reply with quote

Just use common sense. I pressure wash my cases, but degrease and scrub them down first.

Chickensoup wrote:
ok, i have a 212cc harbor freight pressure washer. is there even the slightest chance that my pressure washer can harm my case? thank you

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: vw case/block cleaning? Reply with quote

Clean with solvent (or penetrating oil) to remove as much gunk and oil as possible first. Water/detergent solution and/or powerwashing to finish the job but only briefly, and get it dried off again quickly and apply a misting of wd40 or similar to prevent oxidation as soon as it's dry.
Magnesium hates water. You can soak it in solvent or penetrating oil FOREVER, and it will do no harm, but even a mildy caustic detergent can make it turn ugly QUICK.
Dangermouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: vw case/block cleaning? Reply with quote

Soda Blast

Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: vw case/block cleaning? Reply with quote

I agree with the soda blasting. Take all your tin, and heads when you go. Get it all done at once. I even have had scuzzy old Kadrons soda blasted. Its harmless and works amazing. I don't even bother scraping anything off first. Disassemble into boxes, and straight to the blaster.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: vw case/block cleaning? Reply with quote

When I first started we used a Safety Kleen parts washer (and whatever they put in it, the green stuff, naphtha or mineral spirits, I suppose??) Then the dealership bought a Bend-Pac automatic trans washer that used a powdered detergent made for aluminum trans cases and parts. It took a lot of the work out of parts washing.....If you know someone that knows someone that has a brother-in-law that does automatic transmission repair, get them to wash it. Don't forget to take them a 12 carton of Shiner in bottles.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: vw case/block cleaning? Reply with quote

do NOT hot tank that thing or it will turn into instant trash.

Get it hot jetwashed for non-ferrous materials. Most machine shops will have the washers.

If not, send it to me I can hot jetwash for you. Likely it will line linebore and things anyway. let me know on that too.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: vw case/block cleaning? Reply with quote

It looks like a have a few options now. i have a large blasting cabinet that will fit half a Volkswagen case. Is this safe also? i know it depends on what materials you use but if so can i use nut shells?
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: vw case/block cleaning? Reply with quote

Plenty of fine advice above. Most shops don't charge extra for case cleaning, & for the few that do - it's minimal.
Pressure wash if you have the equipment, but why run in circles here: just take the case, crank, rods, flywheel & heads in.
Get a linebore & have them measure the crank for proper bearing sizes. One stop - done.
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: vw case/block cleaning? Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
It looks like a have a few options now. i have a large blasting cabinet that will fit half a Volkswagen case. Is this safe also? i know it depends on what materials you use but if so can i use nut shells?

I do use soda blast on cases if they are not easily cleaned. Soda is water soluble so rinses with water. BUT I don't blast anything without pulling the Galley plugs. No mattter what media you use it will get back into the blind areas of the oil passages and you can't get it out without pulling the Galley plugs. Even Soda will leave a residual amount at the end of the galley that can't be rinsed out without the plugs removed. If you feel like a detergent wash is not cutting it, the only media I would use is Soda. I know walnut shell, and even glass beads have been used but I think it is too harsh and Soda is cheap and easy to rinse. PULL the Galley plugs.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
andor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: vw case/block cleaning? Reply with quote

Vapor blasting is also very nice. Gives a nice Oem finish on aluminum.
I have only tried it on the wbx case, but will try it on a T1 case this weekend.

Reg
c
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: vw case/block cleaning? Reply with quote

andor wrote:
I have only tried it on the wbx case, but will try it on a T1 case this weekend.

Reg
c
i have looked at this method before but i do not know much about it. do you need a special blasting cabinet?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: vw case/block cleaning? Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:

Are you trying to clean the case so it looks pretty? Waste of effort.

The purpose of cleaning engine parts is to remove abrasive material, not to make it look nice. mag is ugly, just accept it.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: vw case/block cleaning? Reply with quote

If you can find place, "dry ice" blasting removes all the crap and leaves "nothing" behind except the crud off the object being cleaned.... No grit, no soda, no caustics...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
andor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: vw case/block cleaning? Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
andor wrote:

Reg
c
i have looked at this method before but i do not know much about it. do you need a special blasting cabinet?

Yes, special cabinet. This is high pressure water with 20% glass media.
Gives the aluminum a closed surface. Will not stain as glass or sand blasted.
Many bike restorers use it.
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: vw case/block cleaning? Reply with quote

If you blast use soda as it's water soluble, rinse with hot water and you're good to go. Some guys use glass bead (or nut shells) but meticulous cleaning including galleys is required. I've soda blasted with good luck or use a wire wheel in a drill like this:

'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: