Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

vw case/block cleaning?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: vw case/block cleaning? Reply with quote

Brass or stainless Wire brush GOOD, in fact it probably prevents future oxidation better VS soda blast.
The only way I'd bead or shot blast a case is just do the exterior, with all openings closed off, and all boltholes plugged.

WET blasting is a awesome, but it's a lot of work.
The easiest path is just don't get it all ugly in the first place, by keeping the case nice and oily, and away from water.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: vw case/block cleaning? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Brass or stainless Wire brush GOOD, in fact it probably prevents future oxidation better VS soda blast.
The only way I'd bead or shot blast a case is just do the exterior, with all openings closed off, and all boltholes plugged.

WET blasting is a awesome, but it's a lot of work.
The easiest path is just don't get it all ugly in the first place, by keeping the case nice and oily, and away from water.

That shouldn't be a problem. Don't all ACVW engines ooze a bit of oil over time anyway? Very Happy

Here we go! Laughing

FWIW, I use oven cleaner (very short soak time) to get things going.
Then a short soak in the parts cleaner with a biodegradable cleaner and agitation with an engine cleaning brush, oil galley cleaning brushes, and through rinse of the oil galley's from the pumped system in the cleaning tank.
Once the case is free of the slimey shit. I put the case halves in the dishwasher and run it on the heavy duty cycle with detergent.
Anything leftover from those efforts is removed with a wire brush.
After each step in the cleaning process. The case halves get a good shot of compressed air.
The above works for me. YMMV.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: vw case/block cleaning? Reply with quote

You see what I'm saying tho, right?
The main cause of engine cases being ugly is people cleaning them Laughing
Viscous cycle
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: vw case/block cleaning? Reply with quote

to follow up on my power washer recommendation, because I didn't stress the importance of getting everything dry and oiled:
Yes, leaving the case full of water is a death sentence. I blow out the passages with compressed air, and then sit the case somewhere hot to dry out. That could be in front of a shop heater, or put the case halves together and point a heat gun down the crank bore. Then spray the whole thing down with whatever half full can of light oil is handy. As Modok pointed out, a slimy case rarely has oxidation problems.
Of course s hot jet wash machine works best, or better yet, hiring someone else to do it..
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: vw case/block cleaning? Reply with quote

Anyone here ever use Gibbs Brand Penetrant to help preserve the magnesium engine case finish? I bought a case of it not long ago and would like to use it to preserve the look of a 36hp engine I recently stripped the tin off of and degreased.

http://www.gibbsbrandlubricant.com/

I’ve seen it used on vintage Halibrand magnesium wheels with great results, but of course they’re not subjected to as much heat as an engine case.

http://www.roadsters.com/gibbs/
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: vw case/block cleaning? Reply with quote

Gibbs has a strong following by the Porsche crowd on their engine and trans cases, both mag and aly and it does a great job but it does have to be reapplied periodically. Here it is on a mag case but the guy spent countless hours getting it cleaned up before applying the Gibbs.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: vw case/block cleaning? Reply with quote

^^^
I think if anyone made a spray-on cleaner that did that to a case, we'd all know about it by now.
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: vw case/block cleaning? Reply with quote

I have a NOS engine case that had the white magnesium oxidation all over it. Sprayed Gibbs liberally on it and all oxidation went away. Does a nice job. Casey
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: vw case/block cleaning? Reply with quote

Gibbs oil does seem to penetrate even better than most, however it also seems to displace....other oil, so, I try to keep it away from bearings and machine tools. Shocked
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: vw case/block cleaning? Reply with quote

After i hot jetwash and dried, the parts will get a thin coat of engine paint -flat black and it stays on to protect the part.

Even after subsequent hot jetwash the flat black engine paint stays on there pretty good. That is what I call protection.

A HOT jetwash w/ mild soap water designed for non-ferrous is the best. The parts are squeaky clean after a rinse w/ fresh water. And EPA-friendly too.

All those cans of cleaners are very harsh on the environment. Imagine over the years how much contaminants will go into the ground and drinking water.

WE can all enjoy our hobby without destroying the environment.

Take it to the machine shop and get it cleaned properly already.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: vw case/block cleaning? Reply with quote

Hi, quick question for you guys.

If you had to soak your vw case in something to help remove the sludge and crap, what would it be? Solvent based? Oil based?

Thank you
Have a blessed day!
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: vw case/block cleaning? Reply with quote

I left a case in some commercial type cleaner for a few days. Forgot about it. Case wound up in the trash. Pitted ALL TO HELL.

If I was going to soak a case in anything, it would be diesel fuel or maybe even gasoline.

Then I would dispose of the contaminated fluid exactly according to EPA and local guidelines..
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: vw case/block cleaning? Reply with quote

WE used gasoline + diesel mix in the military for washing parts. More diesel than gasoline though. Not sure the exact mixture.

It is probably the same fluid used in most tub parts washers. Hey, they have a lot of those cheap around. Maybe just get one. Disposal is gonna be a bitch though. I had one earlier in the hobby, but it smelled the whole garage and I did not like the fire hazard.

That is why I bought me several nice Better Engineering Hot Jetwashers. It uses non-ferrous soap and water. After the cycle, just rinse w/ fresh water. Very clean.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: vw case/block cleaning? Reply with quote

Yes parts washers what to do? If you have little or no money I’d use about three heavy trash bags to line a cardboard box. Along with a stiff bristle brush and simple green or the citrus cleaner. BTDT

Don’t waste your time with harbor freight or equivalent light duty crap instead buy a used commercial grade washer. They are out there, ask the route salesman that services the shops, safety kleen, crystal kleen etc. they know. You can also lease although it’s cheaper to own. As for the smell the safety kleen man showed me an additive the makes cleaner smell like bubble gum or grape or something less offensive.

I bought an older Zep brand commercial washer 20 years ago and have replaced the pump one time. Again avoid the toy cleaners. When I needed a pump safety kleen gave me one for free. Some of the better tool stores or chemical supplies houses sell pre mixed cleaner in 5 gallon buckets or you can buy mineral spirits

Avoid big box stores for cleaner their prices are insane, find chemical supply house in your area . Example a gallon of mineral spirits at Lowe’s is over 25 dollars I can buy 5 gallons for 40 dollars at tool store.

My old Zep cleaner came from a local dodge dealer when they upgraded to closed loop cleaners. Some jurisdictions have banned the open tank cleaners which means you can get a good deal on quality unit. Use this to your advantage

Good luck
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: vw case/block cleaning? Reply with quote

https://www.h7chemical.com/
This stuff works wonders. Especially on the inside of the case when you have that burned oil residue. The second you spray it on you can watch it start working. It kinda boils, and starts moving around. Give it about 30 minutes or so and you just hose it off. Works great on heads as well.

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: vw case/block cleaning? Reply with quote

jbbugs wrote:
This stuff works wonders. Especially on the inside of the case when you have that burned oil residue. The second you spray it on you can watch it start working. It kinda boils, and starts moving around. Give it about 30 minutes or so and you just hose it off. Works great on heads as well.

this stuff? Smile

https://www.h7chemical.com/degreasers.html
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: vw case/block cleaning? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Yes parts washers what to do? If you have little or no money I’d use about three heavy trash bags to line a cardboard box. Along with a stiff bristle brush and simple green or the citrus cleaner. BTDT

Don’t waste your time with harbor freight or equivalent light duty crap instead buy a used commercial grade washer. They are out there, ask the route salesman that services the shops, safety kleen, crystal kleen etc. they know. You can also lease although it’s cheaper to own. As for the smell the safety kleen man showed me an additive the makes cleaner smell like bubble gum or grape or something less offensive.

I bought an older Zep brand commercial washer 20 years ago and have replaced the pump one time. Again avoid the toy cleaners. When I needed a pump safety kleen gave me one for free. Some of the better tool stores or chemical supplies houses sell pre mixed cleaner in 5 gallon buckets or you can buy mineral spirits

Avoid big box stores for cleaner their prices are insane, find chemical supply house in your area . Example a gallon of mineral spirits at Lowe’s is over 25 dollars I can buy 5 gallons for 40 dollars at tool store.

My old Zep cleaner came from a local dodge dealer when they upgraded to closed loop cleaners. Some jurisdictions have banned the open tank cleaners which means you can get a good deal on quality unit. Use this to your advantage

Good luck

Thank you for the advice. i have used the citrus stuff on my transaxle and it worked ok. but it didn't rinse off with water and made it hard to see what was clean and what wasn't.

i always use a dish soap like simple green as a final scrub and rinse after any other chemicals i use. the other stuff that was mentioned looks good but i just dont want it to eat any of the mag. has anyone had an problems like this?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: vw case/block cleaning? Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
jbbugs wrote:

this stuff? Smile

https://www.h7chemical.com/degreasers.html

H7

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: vw case/block cleaning? Reply with quote

The one advantage of a lease with safety clean is you don't have to worry about disposal of the contaminated fluids...that's what youre mostly paying for. We have one in our shop at work, and only have the fluid changed out every 6 months. It''s cheaper than paying for disposal of something we bought ourselves.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: vw case/block cleaning? Reply with quote

Back when I leased a cleaner from safety clean the route man tried to get me interested in a small table top cleaner. The were letting people try these for free 3 month trial. There are advantages to getting on their program
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: