Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cable Lube?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject: Cable Lube? Reply with quote

Is it a good idea to use cable lube in all of the cable tubes or will it gunk up over time?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Cable Lube? Reply with quote

grandpa red wrote:
Is it a good idea to use cable lube in all of the cable tubes or will it gunk up over time?

Operating them with no lube is a sure way to wear them fast. I lube them upon instal with grease, never had them "gunk up". The Official VW Service Manual states the brake cable is to be lubed upon install.
My old 58 Bug had grease fittings on the brake cables, later they made them without the grease fittings, lubed for life I suppose, but that was probably a marketing thing.

At the least, grease them prior to install.

same for clutch, and accelerator cables, and manual choke cables on the really old Bugs.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Cable Lube? Reply with quote

You must at minimum grease the cables.

When I install cables I wear a nitrile glove and hold a dollop of grease in my palm, then I'll feed the cable through the grease and into the tube.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Cable Lube? Reply with quote

Ok thanks.
I have the motor out right now so it will be easy to do all of them.
I think I'll blow the tubes out with air first if I can.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Cable Lube? Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
You must at minimum grease the cables.

When I install cables I wear a nitrile glove and hold a dollop of grease in my palm, then I'll feed the cable through the grease and into the tube.

This.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Cable Lube? Reply with quote

If you go to all that trouble, try sourcing the boots for every single cable as VW intended it. Why go through that work just to have the grease attract dust and grit? Shocked

One on the clutch cable bowden tube, one long tube for the accelerator cable to the fan shroud pass-through, and one for each heater cable tube. One or two on the speedometer cable? It's been a while since I've done a proper T1 speedo cable…

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Cable Lube? Reply with quote

I just do a thin grease film. If it's a dusty condition, I found the grease is a dirt attractant, so silicone spray was the way to go there.

I would agree to get all the boots - ends of the heater cable tubes, end of the bowden tube. The accelerator cable and clutch cable should exit the chassis into flexible tubes. Often I've seen the accelerator flex tube is missing.

Be sure to grease the front hook end of the clutch cable too, and the cables/wires at the hand brake could use a dab of grease.

Not that they need grease, but there are also rubber stopper/valves that go in the bottom of the rockers as well as the bottom of the tunnel, just in front of the rear torsion housing. These boots are also usually missing!
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Cable Lube? Reply with quote

Yep new boots ordered.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: