Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rebuilding manual steering rack?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Synthead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Rebuilding manual steering rack? Reply with quote

My steering rack has some bad boots on it. I have new boots, but thought it would be a good idea to take it apart and clean it from dirt before sealing it up. How do I go about doing this? Should I replace any pieces as maintenance? This is on a manual (no power steering) rack.
Synthead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding manual steering rack? Reply with quote

Bump! Any thoughts on this one?
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding manual steering rack? Reply with quote

I took mine apart as part of a front suspension rebuild. I'd recommend replacing the four bushings with Powerflex ones from T3. they make a huge difference in steering feel. They unbolt from the frame pretty easily.

You should remove the rack anyways to refurb it. You'll have to remove the tied ends from the steering knuckles, this is not too hard. you also need to move the steering rack from the steering coupler, you'll see it under the van. Mark how the two parts line up for getting the alignment correct. however you will likely need a new alignment after this work anyways.

Swell as the boots you may need need new tie rods and ends. i would just go ahead and replace these.

Have a Bentley to help you through.
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding manual steering rack? Reply with quote

When you remove the tie rod ends count the revolutions. Thread the new one with this same number.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding manual steering rack? Reply with quote

My boots are done. So I plan on replacing the boots, tie-rod end, t3 bushings, and maybe the coupling discs. I see rebuild kits from Rock Auto. Is it possible to rebuild a manual steering rack - or do I have it pretty much covered ?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding manual steering rack? Reply with quote

I’m going with a new rack, rods and boots. Just need to find the time. And I have the parts!
Nickel_Nackel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding manual steering rack? Reply with quote

hey shagginwagon83,

Do you like the manual steering? I'm wondering if I should convert my leaky power steering to manual since its cheaper and I have to eventually replace my pump and rack

I've driven cars without ps but never a van.

just wondering your opinion on it?
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding manual steering rack? Reply with quote

Nickel_Nackel wrote:
hey shagginwagon83,

Do you like the manual steering? I'm wondering if I should convert my leaky power steering to manual since its cheaper and I have to eventually replace my pump and rack

I've driven cars without ps but never a van.

just wondering your opinion on it?

Its not bad. Its my first vehicle without it. When parking its kind of a pain. Especially backing out of a parking spot. Def. requires both hands.

I think later down the road I plan to do a convert-to-electric power steering. Some guy did it on here and he said it was best mod he had done yet.

I'd keep the power steering if I were you.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding manual steering rack? Reply with quote

Not sure what the Rock Auto rebuild kit would include for a manual rack. Nothing wrong with disassembling thoroughly cleaning, regreasing, and reassemble.

Our 82 has manual steering. I won't lie, its a bit of effort in tight spaces at slow speeds. It is simple and less systems to fail. That said, I have owned a few with working power steering and the difference is night and day. f

I just recently purchased a 90 with the power steering disabled. Of all the combinations, this one takes all the effort. Must be related to the different spindle arm lengths.

Easy to test. Remove the belt, drain the reservoir and take it for a drive.
Nickel_Nackel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding manual steering rack? Reply with quote

okay thanks
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding manual steering rack? Reply with quote

So Im working on rebuilding my manual rack. I bought two tubes of the VW steering grease. I added a whole tube to the steering rack.

Then I go to grease the ball joints on the inner tie rod. I messed up and used the VW steering grease. I should have maybe used some regular grease but anyhow the inner tie rod doesn't feel anywhere as smooth as my old untouched inner tie rod. So what type of grease should I have used and is there any fixing this besides buying new inner tie rods?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding manual steering rack? Reply with quote

The new inner tierods are very tight new. I would not worry about it. Sounds normal. In time it will loosen up.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding manual steering rack? Reply with quote

Yeah the inner tie rods are not new. Mine seem decent. I figured this is one of these things that the VW part was superior (probably is) and I should keep it. However I don't want to take any chances as its is 35 years old, so I went ahead and bought Moog inner tie rods.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding manual steering rack? Reply with quote

Crispy looking boots Razz

I sell silicone boots in the classifieds if you guys are looking at not re-doing this job soon-ish Wink

Aloha!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
spatiald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding manual steering rack? Reply with quote

Bumping this thread again as steering rack, inner tie rods and grease were brought up here.

I'm installing the tie rod assembly now. Replacing boots on steering rack but not replacing or rebuilding the rack. I will replace the bushings though.

Only one old boot had a few tears in it. There's a small amount of rust on the steering rack where the inner tie rod bolts in and that end is quite dry. The opposite end that had the good boot had more grease and was in better shape.

My question is: When I'm installing the new tie rod assembly should I be applying grease? If so, will any type do? or does it have to be the specific steering grease?

Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: