Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Original split wings
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dave1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Original split wings Reply with quote

Ok guys I'm having my split beetle restored. The wings apart from passenger side are original the other an early oval. The guy carrying out resto is having a night mare. Is it worth carrying on with them or get repro type. I think the lips all need replacing. I have purchased the lips & need welding. How difficult are these to do?
Any feed back would be great especially if someone has restored there split wings
Thanks for you help Dave
robbiecanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Original split wings Reply with quote

It really depends on their condition and how much you're will to put in.. but if it were me, seeing how half are oval fenders anyways, I would wait for Gerson at Klassifab to finish his new rear fenders and buy a whole set of 4 from him.
84' westfalia 1.8t
87' 4runner
91' 2.9 vr6 coupe
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Original split wings Reply with quote

Truth is that none of the repro wings are perfect, whichever type you choose. If you PM me, I'll put you in touch with someone here in the UK who has fitted Gerson front wings on their expensive restoration, and they'll be able to provide you with an accurate appraisal. Based on this, I doubt you'll find that Gerson wings are the panacea you are looking for.

Can you provide us with pictures of what you have?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
robbiecanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Original split wings Reply with quote

Yup, that's the truth! Especially that every body is going to be slightly different.. but they might be a better starting point. Theres some new info/pics on Jason's 47' resurrection build thread. Last few pages.
84' westfalia 1.8t
87' 4runner
91' 2.9 vr6 coupe
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Original split wings Reply with quote

fix the originals.
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Original split wings Reply with quote

Matt keene in uk is worth a shout. When I had my 1950 it needed repairs to 3 wings/fenders, I was in touch with matt at the time and he was enthusiastic about taking the project on.
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Original split wings Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:
Based on this, I doubt you'll find that Gerson wings are the panacea you are looking for.

hi Martin,
I haven't seen a Gerson repro split or oval fender in real-live yet, so I'm curious; could you please share with us why you come to that conclusion?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Original split wings Reply with quote

It's not my conclusion, as I've never bought any Gerson wings, and that is why I offered to put this person in touch with somebody who has, as I know that they have had unresolvable issues with them. I don't think it fair for me to make comments 2nd hand on this forum.

Gerson heater channels I can comment on, as I have bought these, but wont be fitting them to my car, especially as I now have nice items from Virtanen panels, which are excellent in every respect. It's a shame, as with a little extra effort, Gerson could get things right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mbliss13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Original split wings Reply with quote

Jason Wrenn is currently doing complete metal restoration on my 1951 standard. If you click on the link below it will take you to a gallery. Click on one of the photos to open the gallery then you can scroll through all 20 or so photos. You can see the gerson split fenders mounted to my split. According to Jason, the only thing that needed slight adjustment were the mounting holes. All else seems to fit ok, with body lines matching the apron.

I have heard that the shape is a bit different from the originals....at first glance I see that the outer wheel arch looks a bit flatter than the originals, but I am not sure of what else.

The link:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=345652902699250&id=100017636285804

If I have time, I will insert some photos into the gallery.

Cheers,
Mike
1962 Beetle, L87 Pearl White with Judson/1200 power
1967 Beetle, L282 Lotus White
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Original split wings Reply with quote

looking at the pictures, they look nice to me with a tight fit; they look like a good alternative for original split front fenders (which are not that easy to find locally nowadays).
So I don't know what point I'm missing here. Oh well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dave1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Original split wings Reply with quote

Hi guys,
The guy restoring the fenders is carrying on with the refurbishment of the original fenders. The difficulties he faced was that the curved part where the section attaches to the body had some rust issues. He is now making good progress. I'll see if I can get hold of some pictures
Thanks guys for your help & comments
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: