Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newbie-Should I buy this bus question!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaronski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Newbie-Should I buy this bus question! Reply with quote

Hi there,
I've always wanted a VW bus, and now the time has come. I'll tell you about the bus first-
'74 bay window- pop top westfailia, runs, drives, registered and passes saftey, horns, signals, etc all work. I can drive it home today.
-Lots of rust. rust pinholes under the front footwells, rust in the doors, the slider cover is rusty, the lower 6 inches has rust and little holes in many places. rust around the bumper.
-The driver door only opens from the inside.
-engine idles poorly, seems to not have much range- I think the throttle cable isn't pulling open all the way, but it does run acceptably for the roads it will travel.
-Interior looks Ok. roof repaneled with nice wood, sink is there, back seat is there and converts to bed, rear facing seat is there.

I think it comes down to intent. I intend to clean up the rust where I can, give it some patch paint, fix the engine throttle issue, clean up the interior and take the family to the beach once a month, park the bus, have a little picnic, maybe watch a movie in the back and head home. It's a ring road, never going over 45 mph or climbing any hills.
It'll also be a fun place for the kids to play in the yard when it isn't running.
Is this a reasonable bus at $5000? $4000? less?
When it inevitably has a breakdown and I tow it home to be a tiny-home for a year then sell it not running, how much money will I lose?

I figure, worst case, I lost $5k and stop dreaming about buses. I've been wanting one for almost 20 years.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie-Should I buy this bus question! Reply with quote

the nose is shot, bet on that

I would offer 1500 max...but you're on an island with slim pickings I assume. 5k is steep for that here.

looks like mostly original paint, but I think it's hiding some nasties underneath

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie-Should I buy this bus question! Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the Samba!

If you feel like being in the red by $5k I'll send you my bank routing info. I too am in the bus market Wink

Get it for as low as you can. 3-4k. If it breaks down then just fix it and keep driving it? But if you want to just buy one because then sell it and not deal with it, you probably wont lose too much money.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie-Should I buy this bus question! Reply with quote

How did you determine it to be a '74? It appears to be a '73 from what I can tell. Pop-top orientation, interior color, gas cap cover, etc. There is a lot of work to be done on that vehicle. As skills said, I'm not sure what the market is in Hawaii, but I wouldn't spend $5K on that vehicle. Just my $0.02. I'm sure you'll get some additional advice here shortly. Best of luck!
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie-Should I buy this bus question! Reply with quote

Rust is bad mkay.

Check the battery tray inside the engine compartment, the bottom of the windshield and rear windows for rust and crust. Floors, doglegs, rockers. Chances are its going to take a lot of work to seal that bus up from the weather.

I wouldn't touch it for $5k but as others have said I have no idea what the market is like in Hawaii.
A bunch of vintage Japanese motorcycles
"Much ingenuity with a little money is vastly more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity." -A. Bennett
aaronski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie-Should I buy this bus question! Reply with quote

Thanks!
Derp- it's a 73.

Yea, it needs a lot of work. Next lowest seems like a cleanish bay window for $14k, with a mostly stripped interior. there are a couple project buse's non-running on other islands for 3-4k, but they don't run, aren't registered, and aren't on the correct island.
I know that to fix the rust would take replacing the panels. and good luck getting panels out here.
The panels are rusty, but the frame is just oily, little to no rust underneath.

And I am looking to do some work, just not complete restoration. slow the rust, keep the engine running and enjoy as is. I work from home and have a lot of time on my hands. I figure I'll:
-clean the interior- good scrub, replace fabrics, make new wood panels where missing.
-sand down the rust, seal the rusty area's with rust inhibitor paint.
-replace rotten window seals.
-clean the carbs, adjust the throttle, or choke or whatever else needs going enginewise. I'm not afraid of engines.
-wax that oxidized paint
-drive it maybe 500 miles a year for fun. camp on the beach a couple times a year.

if I pay $4k, do must of the stuff listed, enjoy it, and sell a couple years down the line when the kids are older, and sell for 2k, I'd be happy. I used to do my own wrenching with my brother back in Cali, and just miss working on stuff. I figure I have 4hours a week to play with the bus. Order a part, wait for it to arrive, install, order another part, repeat.....

What I'm afraid of is, this bus will rust to the point of being wet interior and unsafe to drive and I just have to sell for scrap. how do you tell the difference between "she's not a looker" and "that is trash"?
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie-Should I buy this bus question! Reply with quote

aaronski wrote:
Thanks!
Derp- it's a 73.

Yea, it needs a lot of work. Next lowest seems like a cleanish bay window for $14k, with a mostly stripped interior. there are a couple project buse's non-running on other islands for 3-4k, but they don't run, aren't registered, and aren't on the correct island.
I know that to fix the rust would take replacing the panels. and good luck getting panels out here.
The panels are rusty, but the frame is just oily, little to no rust underneath.

And I am looking to do some work, just not complete restoration. slow the rust, keep the engine running and enjoy as is. I work from home and have a lot of time on my hands. I figure I'll:
-clean the interior- good scrub, replace fabrics, make new wood panels where missing.
-sand down the rust, seal the rusty area's with rust inhibitor paint.
-replace rotten window seals.
-clean the carbs, adjust the throttle, or choke or whatever else needs going enginewise. I'm not afraid of engines.
-wax that oxidized paint
-drive it maybe 500 miles a year for fun. camp on the beach a couple times a year.

if I pay $4k, do must of the stuff listed, enjoy it, and sell a couple years down the line when the kids are older, and sell for 2k, I'd be happy. I used to do my own wrenching with my brother back in Cali, and just miss working on stuff. I figure I have 4hours a week to play with the bus. Order a part, wait for it to arrive, install, order another part, repeat.....

What I'm afraid of is, this bus will rust to the point of being wet interior and unsafe to drive and I just have to sell for scrap. how do you tell the difference between "she's not a looker" and "that is trash"?

Many of us have already done what you intend to, and others are still in the process of doing so. From several thousands of miles away, it is abundantly clear, that there is a lot of rust on that vehicle. One thing you can be sure of, is that there is a ton more, hiding beneath what you can see. Again, there are a million threads on here, that will show you just what type of can of worms you are opening up. The cancer is always deeper than it appears on the surface. They almost all rot in the same places, that's why you're getting the advice you're getting. Not trying to dissuade you, its just that more often than not, most people embark on this journey, and quickly realize there is so much more than one initially bargained for. At that point, many abandon ship, with a bad taste in their mouth, and the bus either gets trashed or passed along to someone else. At the end of the day, it will be up to you, as to what you're willing to put up with and just how much disposable income you have to complete the project. For many here, that bus would likely get passed up, or you'd have to get it for an absolute steal and live with it.
aaronski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie-Should I buy this bus question! Reply with quote

advCo wrote:
Rust is bad mkay.

Check the battery tray inside the engine compartment, the bottom of the windshield and rear windows for rust and crust. Floors, doglegs, rockers. Chances are its going to take a lot of work to seal that bus up from the weather.

I wouldn't touch it for $5k but as others have said I have no idea what the market is like in Hawaii.

engine bay is not rusted, or not rusted badly, around battery looks ok. floor in rear looks ok, rusted pinholes around driver and passenger seats and footwells. yea, rockers are shot, but I guess you can replace those! I do have a welder and basic welding skills. bottom of windows is yea, rusty crusty. I'm figuring angle grinder to clean and paint, seal with bondo if needed. not sure if that's sacrilege. we're, 2 blocks from the beach so the salt spray destroys metal. our roof is rusting, our appliances are rusting, nails holding the house together are rusting.
aaronski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie-Should I buy this bus question! Reply with quote

white74westy wrote:

Many of us have already done what you intend to, and others are still in the process of doing so. From several thousands of miles away, it is abundantly clear, that there is a lot of rust on that vehicle. One thing you can be sure of, is that there is a ton more, hiding beneath what you can see. Again, there are a million threads on here, that will show you just what type of can of worms you are opening up. The cancer is always deeper than it appears on the surface. They almost all rot in the same places, that's why you're getting the advice you're getting. Not trying to dissuade you, its just that more often than not, most people embark on this journey, and quickly realize there is so much more than one initially bargained for.

Man, I really appreciate all your advice! I've been a lurker for years. my dream is to do an EV conversion. I have the Ev chops to do that no problem. time and money get in the way. I think I"ll offer 3k, with the knowledge that yea, I"m getting in over my head-will likely have fun, hit a brick wall, and sell to the next guy. Or not, my EV projects started that way, and now I have a custom frame EV-moto-Bicyle that I built, programmed myself, which will do 13HP to the wheel and have used to replace my car for most things.

once again, thank you everyone for all your kind and harsh words, saying what needs to be said is super helpful!
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie-Should I buy this bus question! Reply with quote

aaronski wrote:
advCo wrote:
Rust is bad mkay.

engine bay is not rusted, or not rusted badly, around battery looks ok. floor in rear looks ok, rusted pinholes around driver and passenger seats and footwells. yea, rockers are shot, but I guess you can replace those! I do have a welder and basic welding skills. bottom of windows is yea, rusty crusty. I'm figuring angle grinder to clean and paint, seal with bondo if needed. not sure if that's sacrilege. we're, 2 blocks from the beach so the salt spray destroys metal. our roof is rusting, our appliances are rusting, nails holding the house together are rusting.

It all depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to keep the rust at bay and run it into the ground, and this is whats available then I say go for it. If you want to poke away at the rust repair little by little, and you're comfortable with the price, then go for it.

The problem is, seeing a little rust under the windshield or by the windows doesn't tell you much until you really get in there.

Just as a (really extreme) example, here's what I found when I removed the windshield on my bus.

A bunch of vintage Japanese motorcycles
"Much ingenuity with a little money is vastly more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity." -A. Bennett
420GOAT
Samba Member

Location: Wilmington, CA on a nice quiet street but still in the 'hood

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie-Should I buy this bus question! Reply with quote

worth about 4-6 in Los Angeles. id buy it, in 2 years you may about ten in Los Angeles. HI is also pretty pricey as i understand. id buy it, but offer 4-4.5k
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie-Should I buy this bus question! Reply with quote

aaronski wrote:

Man, I really appreciate all your advice! I've been a lurker for years. my dream is to do an B) EV conversion. I have the Ev chops to do that no problem. time and money get in the way. A) I think I"ll offer 3k, with the knowledge that yea, I"m getting in over my head-will likely have fun, hit a brick wall, and sell to the next guy. Or not, my EV projects started that way, and now I have a custom frame EV-moto-Bicyle that I built, programmed myself, which will do 13HP to the wheel and have used to replace my car for most things.

once again, thank you everyone for all your kind and C) harsh words, saying what needs to be said is super helpful!

A) Seems like a fair starting point.

B) I think that would be a really fun project! It has been done before. I remember watching a video of a fella that had done the conversion. The thing that struck me most, was how quiet the vehicle was...not at all like your typical VW bus.

C) If my posts came off as harsh, it most certainly was not my intention. Sometimes, I think there is a little too much of that around here. There have certainly been times when it has been warranted however. Laughing

Anyhow, best of luck! Let us know how things turn out!

Later
a.
Cool
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie-Should I buy this bus question! Reply with quote

It sounds to me like you're approaching the purchase of a bus with the right mindset. Yup, it has rust, but most do, especially near the sea. You're willing to roll the dice and possibly lose.

So my opinion is... go for it!
I took a huge gamble when I bought mine via eBay, and ended up very happy. So I wish you the same good fortune.

And definitely let us know what you decide.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie-Should I buy this bus question! Reply with quote

Buy a couple cases of fluid film and spray it in every nook and cranny and drive it.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie-Should I buy this bus question! Reply with quote

those solid lifter 1700/1800 engines aren't known for just breaking.
And you will want to correct the linkage to the carbs, for safety.
Own it for three years & you will still be able so get your $ back. +.
MGBBob80
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie-Should I buy this bus question! Reply with quote

Not sure what island you're on, but $5K seems reasonable on Oahu. They go quick. Couple of good air cooled mechanics out there to help you get it running right if need be. Aloha!

1978 Type 2 Transporter. 2L engine (engine code GE), Fuel Injection, 4-speed manual transmission.His name is Buddy.

"I reserve the right to be better tomorrow than I am today."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kinggeorge13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie-Should I buy this bus question! Reply with quote

I dont think it's a terrible price. If you could get it for $4000, I'd do that. I think the big question which you have already partially answered is how much welding do you want to do and/or feel comfortable doing. I've done a significant amount of welding and learning to weld on buses now and it's still one of my favourite things to do. What's not my favourite is all the incredible amount and sometimes super-difficult cutting and grinding and preparation needed before the welding fun can begin.

All I can suggest to you for the rust, especially as you want to start using it right away, is just do a small section at at time. Order the metal replacement parts (nearly everything is available) for each section at a time. I've done the over-ramped thing where I immediately order 6+ outriggers, 4 jackpoints, two rear bottom corners, inner and outter rockers, rear valance, etc and the giant box of parts arrives and I'm so amped up to get started. Well yeah, it's a hobby that I get some hours per week and some weekends and 6 months later, I'm still working very slowly through getting all that stuff removed and replaced. There's lots of supply still (and hopefully for years yet to go) so just order a few at a time. Get the old stuff in one area cut out, grind down to good metal, weld in the new part and get it painted/protected and then move onto the next part. Ever slowly but surely it will get better and better and your skills and speed will increase too. And? You'll get to likely buy a bunch of new tools as well if you don't already have them: Sawzall, large angle grinder, smaller angle grinder, lots of blades, cutting disks, grinding disks, googles, face sheilds, welding gear, lots and lots of vice-grips, air compressor, needler, large palm sander, sanding blocks, woooooo.....lots of stuff!!! I love it! Seriously! You get to buy and play with all these cool toys (tools) and a cool bus. Is there anything better?

The other thing I suggest is oil change instantly and for me I always always always change the transmission fluid to the best I can get before I drive it much more than just getting it home. Grease every grease fitting. Do a valve adjustment asap. Replace all the old fuel lines or risk the very likelyhood of your dream burning to the ground on the side of the road. And yeah like someone else suggested: Fluid Film (or similar) all the areas that are rusting that you are not yet working on to slow down their damage progress. Copious amounts.

It's probably crazy but I always do all I can to take the route of save the bus.

My two cents.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie-Should I buy this bus question! Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:

Link

look at the axle tubes front (beams) and rear (torsion tubes) to make sure there is no rust. If the rear torsion tube is bad it is extremely troublesome to repair because the bus is built around it for all practical purposes.
scubasteve321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie-Should I buy this bus question! Reply with quote

don't just grind away the rust and re-paint, it will invariably come back

recommend using klean-strip phosphoric acid, can be found at home depot in a gallon for about 20 bucks
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie-Should I buy this bus question! Reply with quote

Ah, just drive it as a rust bucket and have fun.

As SGKent said, do check the suspension to make sure it is safe to drive.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: