Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Using NOS paint ?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Using NOS paint ? Reply with quote

Anyone have any advice or experience on using these old cans of paint? Never opened. it’s an acrylic enamel. Still liquid. What primer to use? What thinner and how much. I’d likely use the cheap HF gun.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is our family project. Some folks told me I should crush it but it has no rust. I need to paint the gas tank area, engine bay, back and a drivers side rear quarter panel. I wish I could blast it. I’ve been wire wheeling and sanding. Still a ways to go. I’m thinking Ospho, primer, seam seal, sand, color. I’m going to live with the imperfections of the metal for now so this doesn’t have to be a perfect paint job.

Last edited by brandt on Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Using NOS paint ? Reply with quote

Wow! Shocked Looks like you caught a car-b-q just in time. Good luck. I have no advice though.
brandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Using NOS paint ? Reply with quote

Thanks. The fire was October of 2011. With luck we'll have it running by the ten year anniversary
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Using NOS paint ? Reply with quote

Are there any indications of a manufacture date or shelf life expiration? I would use it, but I would thoroughly shake/stir well to get the pigments off the bottom that have probably turned into concrete. Also do not forget to filter the paint. I would bet there are going to be chunks floating in it. I would not have scraped the car either. Its salvageable.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Using NOS paint ? Reply with quote

My advice is don’t use it. A gallon of Limco single stage is cheap. Don’t risk using it just because it’s NOS. I’d keep them with the bus as a display.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
brandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Using NOS paint ? Reply with quote

I have no idea how old it is or how it was stored. I have not decided to use it or not. I thought about trying it out on something else but I'm not sure how long I'd have to use the rest once the can is opened. And can't sort out what primer to use or what thinner.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Using NOS paint ? Reply with quote

I would use it since you are doing spot repairs on original paint.
Repaint the whole exterior if you use new paint
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Using NOS paint ? Reply with quote

Why not experiment with a few ounces?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
brandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Using NOS paint ? Reply with quote

Quote:
Why not experiment

I think that's what I'm going to do. Get all ready for primer and open a can and start the clock. But I can't seem to figure out what primer and thinner would be compatible. Maybe I'm over thinking it, I'm just trying to get all the steps/plan figured out in advance.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Using NOS paint ? Reply with quote

I don’t get what is so special about NOS paint. Even if it was still pristine in the cam after all these years you are not doing an NOS paint job unless you duplicate the factory conditions. It’s just a bucket of old paint. An NOS factory type 4 would get me excited, but not paint. If you are going for a factory painted look, I’m sure it could be done with available modern paints.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Using NOS paint ? Reply with quote

I never worry about brand of primer.
The direction list reducer, but no hardener, which you don’t technically need for AE paints, but I hope you have a super dust free environment to let it sit and harden in.
You could get a pint of cheap say OMNI AE hardener and do a test run to see if it works. Hardener will also help the AE last longer.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: