Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Zetec Bostig Stumbles, Sputters, Won't Run NOPE NOT SOLVED
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Zetec Bostig Stumbles, Sputters, Won't Run NOPE NOT SOLVED Reply with quote

Try spraying some carb cleaner in the throttle body and see if it will fire.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Zetec Bostig Stumbles, Sputters, Won't Run NOPE NOT SOLVED Reply with quote

I don't see anything about the fuel pressure being checked. Just because the pump is pushing doesn't mean the system is pressurizing like it needs to...
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Zetec Bostig Stumbles, Sputters, Won't Run NOPE NOT SOLVED Reply with quote

I have 2 ideas, both of which have happened to me (crank no start).

1. Unplug, clean, and reconnect the crank position sensor connector. It's down the passenger side of the engine:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You won't need a wrench, this is just the only pic I could find.

The connector frankly doesn't fit that well, and if the ECU can't tell that the flywheel is spinning via that sensor, it won't make a spark. This problem can be annoyingly intermittent.

2. Since you have a Bostig 2.0, you have the Focus ECU, and thus the security key zip tied to the detector in the ECU box. The key may have shifted, and I've read more than one account of the RFID chip in the key shuffling off this mortal coil. Open the box, make sure the key is tied securely and can't bounce around.

Robyn
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Zetec Bostig Stumbles, Sputters, Won't Run NOPE NOT SOLVED Reply with quote

Are you sure you coil is good? Try another coil and go ahead with a new fuel filter and a shot of engine fuel system cleaner. Engine start spray takes the entire fuel system out of the system so it’s spark or timing of spark.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Zetec Bostig Stumbles, Sputters, Won't Run NOPE NOT SOLVED Reply with quote

I think it’s electrical. Checking the KPS very good idea. Look at CPS too.

The ECU wires should be checked. A pin slightly off can prevent contact. A poor ground or cracked board can cause intermittent problems.

Ignition switch making poor contact might be cause, doubt it because it does crank.

PITA to find, but keep looking at electrical wires. VOM big help.

Good luck.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Zetec Bostig Stumbles, Sputters, Won't Run NOPE NOT SOLVED Reply with quote

the 'crank' portion of the IGN switch is a different set of contact points than the 'IGN' portion of the switch..

just cause it cranks doesn't mean it has IGN power.

also while testing with a volt meter or light will indicate it gets +12v power
it doesn't indicate it gets enough current to actually provide power to the other items.

best to test with a jumper/hot wire..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Zetec Bostig Stumbles, Sputters, Won't Run NOPE NOT SOLVED Reply with quote

No new ideas from me, but some great ones above... the ignition switch seems like a good place to start, we know that is a weak point of vanagons in general and hopefully you have a spare that you carry around anyway.

Sending Bostig/Vanagon mojo your way jyl!
jyl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Zetec Bostig Stumbles, Sputters, Won't Run NOPE NOT SOLVED Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Great ideas that I'd never have thought of!
driverdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Zetec Bostig Stumbles, Sputters, Won't Run NOPE NOT SOLVED Reply with quote

Have you confirmed spark yet?

Pull a plug, crank, and check for spark.
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Zetec Bostig Stumbles, Sputters, Won't Run NOPE NOT SOLVED Reply with quote

Don't you have full OBDII diagnosis with the Bostig? Can you borrow a scanner? You could check a lot of things in a hurry by accessing the engine computer.
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Zetec Bostig Stumbles, Sputters, Won't Run NOPE NOT SOLVED Reply with quote

Have you pulled a plug while cranking to check for spark? Though be careful a weak coil will spark, but not enough to fire, hence try a new coil with carb spray.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
chrishazen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Zetec Bostig Stumbles, Sputters, Won't Run NOPE NOT SOLVED Reply with quote

Anything new here? Having same symptoms, except that once started it seems to run w/o sputtering or stalling.

'87 w/ RG5
jyl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Zetec Bostig Stumbles, Sputters, Won't Run NOPE NOT SOLVED Reply with quote

MAJOR DRAMATIC UPDATE.

Not really, but anything feels like progress at this point.

First, I'm sorry I've left this hanging - been super busy and the van has just sat in the street for months. Finally my wife blew her stack so...

Bought OBDII scanner. Codes are P0351 and P0352, which indicates electrical problem in coilpack A and B corresponding, I guess, to cylinders 1 and 2. So off to buy a new coil - wait, this is a new coil - whatever, let's go spend $67. Install new coil, van starts up immediately.

But hmm. The idle seems a little abnormal. Not a strong even idle, its a little wavering, and every now and then it dips and threatens to die. Maybe that's because the van has sat for at least 5 months. Turn off motor, starts right up, idles in that same thready way. But at least it's running.

Now to move it into the driveway, because wife won't have it sitting on the street for another X months. WTF, the brake pedal goes straight to the floor. The brakes were okay when it was parked...so I guess I have another thing to deal with. Cautiously drive the van into the driveway and that's it for the day.

So, problem A is the slightly wavering, thready idle. Maybe it's a problem, maybe it's not. But after having so much trouble with the van, I know I'm not going to put it back in service until I'm convinced everything is fixed. Ideas?

Just to review: the problem is that the van has been either not starting, or starting normally but dying and unable to be restarted. New fuel pump, filter, line. New plugs, wires, coil, now another new coil. New cable from fuel pump to ECU box (you may remember the old cable somehow got caught in the half shaft and ripped out from the harness). Rechecked OBDII scanner, no codes now. Gas tank is nearly empty, if that matters - I have a fuel container and will go put some more gas in the tank before resuming investigation.

Problem B is the brakes, I'll take a look and start another thread about that if needed. Maybe about time to refresh fluid, pads, etc anyway.

The goal is to get the van to be the daily driver because my other car, that I've been daily driving, is needing some attention. That's an old 911, it is running a little rough and has some body stuff and paint stuff needed.

I would, by the way, be delighted to pay a professional to fix this...I haven't found anyone in Portland OR who works on Bostig Vanagons but a referral would be most welcome. My diagnostic skills are crap and, as you can tell, I don't have much spare time to wrench.
shizzon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Zetec Bostig Stumbles, Sputters, Won't Run NOPE NOT SOLVED Reply with quote

Someone else can chime in here better than I I'm sure, but I wonder if you have a huge vacuum leak that is causing the brake booster to not work and also causing the idling problem? I'm not sure what happens if you lose the brake booster and if that is consistent with the symptoms you are experiencing.

I'd do a visual check on the vac line coming off the intake manifold. while its idling you could also try pinching off or clamping off that line right at the outlet and see if the idle gets better. if so, that would indicate a vac leak. hopefully someone with more knowldege can chime in.

oh, and please - send jim a ticket and log!
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Zetec Bostig Stumbles, Sputters, Won't Run Reply with quote

John Sullivan wrote:
I had a very similar problem with my bostig zetec. It died in Dewey Beach Delaware right on the road. But it had been acting up, sputtering and missing when I hit bumps for a while. I had changed fuel filter, fuel pump finally I replaced the coil pack and all seemed well. A couple of month later it started acting up again.
So in my driveway, i started moving things. I came to the harness and wires into the coil the 3 wire connector which when I lifted it, it misfired. I did it and it missed every time I moved that cable. I turned off the engine and pulled on each of the wires going to the connector and one came right out. Oh man. I looked at the connector and the crimp on that wire had missed the copper. I got a new pin from Ford, about $2. I removed and crimped wire and reinstalled in connector. No problems since. It was a bad pin crimp the whole time. I chased this for more than a year.

Did you look into replacing the connector as John Sullivan recommended? Seems unlikely that the coils themselves are crapping out this fast, but each one is re-using this part and the 3 wires have been known to go bad. There are two signal wires and the third thicker wire is 12V to the coil, the signal wires going intermittent would seem consistent with the issue.
jyl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Zetec Bostig Stumbles, Sputters, Won't Run NOPE NOT SOLVED Reply with quote

I started the van, got the weak thready idle.

Tried tugging and pushing on the connector to the coil. I can indeed affect the idle by pushing and pulling on the wire to the connector. I have to try to do it, but seems the connection should ignore all but a deliberate removal of the connector?

Went looking for an errant vacuum line. Looking down on the drivers side of the engine, I see two vacuum nipples that look suspiciously clean, like something used to be there. If I put my finger over either or both nipple, the idle improves dramatically. What is supposed to be here?

Last edited by jyl on Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Zetec Bostig Stumbles, Sputters, Won't Run NOPE NOT SOLVED Reply with quote

Nothing, there's your vacuum leak, cap those babies.

Ignore the red text, for a different question

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
jyl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Zetec Bostig Stumbles, Sputters, Won't Run NOPE NOT SOLVED Reply with quote

I am utterly baffled as to how those nipples came to become uncapped.
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Zetec Bostig Stumbles, Sputters, Won't Run NOPE NOT SOLVED Reply with quote

jyl, use some RTV or similar to lock those caps down!
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Zetec Bostig Stumbles, Sputters, Won't Run NOPE NOT SOLVED Reply with quote

Cheap ass Chinese rubber. They probably split and fell off. A piece of vacuum hose with a screw in the end of it looks rigged, but will probably last forever. If both ports have vacuum a loop of hose would work too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: