Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

15 below zero report
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:12 am    Post subject: 15 below zero report Reply with quote

Minus 15! I started the gas heater 20 minutes before leaving for work, this by the way is fabulous. The engine actually started easily. The transmission oil had been replaced with wet cement and the steering was REALLY hard to turn. I soon discovered the steering wouldn't self return either. Otherwise the drive went well. The throttle was a little touchy, felt like it was leaning out on acceleration. Did I mention the gas heater is amazing? We'll see how it goes this morning, only 8 below outside.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
CarlIseminger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: 15 below zero report Reply with quote

My '68 had a gas heater and after work, when it was 20 below, within 60 seconds I couldn't see my breath anymore.

My '69 Vert, when it is this cold out, you are correct. I can barely move the shifter for the first mile or so.
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: 15 below zero report Reply with quote

I remember how very well these cars ran in cold snowy conditions. It's a shame that the salt has ruined all of that fun. Someday I hope to take my VW out to a farm somewhere and buzz around on snowy unsalted roads. I had a stock heating system that would bake me alive on those cold mornings, but I had to downshift into third to get good defroster action on my windshield. Surprised
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: 15 below zero report Reply with quote

You knew this old VW commercial would have to show up for a thread like this... Very Happy

Link

'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: 15 below zero report Reply with quote

CarlIseminger wrote:
My '68 had a gas heater and after work, when it was 20 below, within 60 seconds I couldn't see my breath anymore.

My '69 Vert, when it is this cold out, you are correct. I can barely move the shifter for the first mile or so.

This new webasto heater doesn't quite do the instant heat that my bn4 heater in the other car does, it has to run through it's start up cycle which takes a few minutes. Safety I suppose. But when it lights up it gets just as blistering hot.

KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: 15 below zero report Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
You knew this old VW commercial would have to show up for a thread like this... Very Happy

Link

I was counting on it!😊
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 15 below zero report Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
I remember how very well these cars ran in cold snowy conditions. It's a shame that the salt has ruined all of that fun. Someday I hope to take my VW out to a farm somewhere and buzz around on snowy unsalted roads. I had a stock heating system that would bake me alive on those cold mornings, but I had to downshift into third to get good defroster action on my windshield. Surprised

I'm trying to ignore the road salt with this one, I bought the car cheap and I have other "good" ones. I have to say I'm having more fun with this one than the others.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: 15 below zero report Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
I had a stock heating system that would bake me alive on those cold mornings, but I had to downshift into third to get good defroster action on my windshield. Surprised

In case someone has a similar problem with insufficient air flow reaching the dash... long ago I bought a kit that was designed to boost the air flow in the stock heater system, though I never got around to installing it. Even if they no longer make the kits, the electric fans in the kits were borrowed from a boat "bilge fan". Do a Google search and you will find lots of them. They are basically a fan in a 3" round duct. You splice them in under the rear seat or between the heater box and the body. Then you can control the air flow that reaches the front of the car. Here are a few pics to show the fan:

'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: 15 below zero report Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
Tom K. wrote:
I had a stock heating system that would bake me alive on those cold mornings, but I had to downshift into third to get good defroster action on my windshield. Surprised

In case someone has a similar problem with insufficient air flow reaching the dash... long ago I bought a kit that was designed to boost the air flow in the stock heater system, though I never got around to installing it. Even if they no longer make the kits, the electric fans in the kits were borrowed from a boat "bilge fan". Do a Google search and you will find lots of them. They are basically a fan in a 3" round duct. You splice them in under the rear seat or between the heater box and the body. Then you can control the air flow that reaches the front of the car. Here are a few pics to show the fan:

I should probably look into something like this, I have lots of heat in the car from the gas heater but defrost is still weak. I have the Danish heater boxes, it's true what they say about not being as good as original. They're fine for mild fall weather but useless today.
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: 15 below zero report Reply with quote

^^ I think those only stand a chance with the aftermarket heat exchangers, the stock ones will melt the body of the fan (that, or maybe the older bilge fans were better made)

I made a sheet metal shroud for the fan (the blade seems to be made of more heat tolerant plastic) and stuck it in a custom Y (no metal Y's were harmed in the making).

AlmostHeaven used motorcycle helmet fans to boost the defrost, https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8856144

It was down to +17°F here this morning and that was cold enough, you guys can keep the negatives
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: 15 below zero report Reply with quote

windfish wrote:
^^ I think those only stand a chance with the aftermarket heat exchangers, the stock ones will melt the body of the fan (that, or maybe the older bilge fans were better made)

I made a sheet metal shroud for the fan (the blade seems to be made of more heat tolerant plastic) and stuck it in a custom Y (no metal Y's were harmed in the making).

AlmostHeaven used motorcycle helmet fans to boost the defrost, https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8856144

It was down to +17°F here this morning and that was cold enough, you guys can keep the negatives

I like that steel cage you made AND that it fits in that Y connection area. Any other tips. Easy enough to swap out the outer cage? Been thinking about this upgrade, but was hesitant because of the plastic outer cage. Not anymore! Not interested in it for the heat, but for the fresh air. I had read that article by AlmostHeaven. That was a great thread!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: 15 below zero report Reply with quote

^ I posted a thread when I was working on it ~4 years ago - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=614408
If I had to do it over I'd start with all metal, the fiberglass stunk for a short while after installation and it probably wasn't great to breath. No smell now though, still works fine. Decent air boost at idle and low-speed driving, not a huge diff on the highway.

Making the sheet metal round enough and centering the new fan bracket was a little fiddly, you want minimal separation between the blades and the new shroud. Likely something commercial you can repurpose.

Seen some squirrel cage fans installed in that area that prob blow a little harder.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 15 below zero report Reply with quote

windfish wrote:
^ I posted a thread when I was working on it ~4 years ago - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=614408
If I had to do it over I'd start with all metal, the fiberglass stunk for a short while after installation and it probably wasn't great to breath. No smell now though, still works fine. Decent air boost at idle and low-speed driving, not a huge diff on the highway.

Making the sheet metal round enough and centering the new fan bracket was a little fiddly, you want minimal separation between the blades and the new shroud. Likely something commercial you can repurpose.

Seen some squirrel cage fans installed in that area that prob blow a little harder.

can I use one of the squirrels from the engine without lossing to much power? Rolling Eyes

Bug On!, powered by squirrels!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 15 below zero report Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
windfish wrote:

can I use one of the squirrels from the engine without lossing to much power? Rolling Eyes

Bug On!, powered by squirrels!

You have to keep your squirrels in their cages or they mess with your fuel mixture. I've seen them trying to hide their tiny screwdrivers.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: 15 below zero report Reply with quote

Think about it, your driving along thinking your bug isn't running right, are all your squirrels accounted for? Hmmm? It makes sense to a squirrel, needs more fweem, let's rich that sucker up.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 15 below zero report Reply with quote

This morning's drive to work at 8 below was uneventful. The car behaved more or less normal, for it anyway. Temperatures are supposed to be in the teens by this evening, and 50 by Sunday.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 15 below zero report Reply with quote

I thought about trying one of those helmet fans AlmostHeaven used for defrost and simply drawing air from the passenger foot well where the gas heater is blowing into, not connecting it directly.
plotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 15 below zero report Reply with quote

To loosen the shifting you can swap to a synthetic gear lube that won't get stiff in the cold.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 15 below zero report Reply with quote

plotch wrote:
To loosen the shifting you can swap to a synthetic gear lube that won't get stiff in the cold.

That sounds like a good idea. The gear oil is fresh but it's just regular 80/90. It usually gets really seriously cold like that here a few times every winter, thankfully it rarely lasts more than a few days.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 15 below zero report Reply with quote

plotch wrote:

Synthetic is good for cold days, got it in several of my rides, made a very positive difference in the cold. Be sure the gear oil is correct for the Bug gear box.

Bug On! Shifting easy thru the snow!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: