Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for high MPG cars
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for high MPG cars Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
oprn wrote:
nsracing wrote:
I had an Isuzu diesel car back in the 80's ...that thing got 70 mpg! Laughing

I do not know any car even today that can beat that.

The Smart car could match it but has been outlawed in our country.

Real world data from owners doesn't seem to back that claim.
http://www.fuelly.com/car/smart/fortwo

That's the gas one not the 3 cylinder diesel.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for high MPG cars Reply with quote

I don’t trust any vehicles with the scooter transmissions, other than that,most 4 cyl.’s from high volume sellers (except Ford and Chrysler) should be ok.
But I tend to neglect daily drivers, they’re not worth much after I get done with them, and will never see a service dept. I just throw parts at them till they run, and preventative maintenance except for oil changes is non-existent. I guess that’s why I stick to GM, parts are cheap, and they’re not so well engineered that evey system fails at once.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for high MPG cars Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
I don’t trust any vehicles with the scooter transmissions,

From what I have seen, just about every car with a CVT transmission becomes a throw away when that trans fails.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for high MPG cars Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Onceler wrote:

From what I have seen, just about every car with a CVT transmission becomes a throw away when that trans fails.

That’s my impression also
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for high MPG cars Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
PD41 wrote:
nsracing wrote:
I had an Isuzu diesel car back in the 80's ...that thing got 70 mpg! Laughing

Wow ! I heard those were good. What beats a Trail 90 ?

Honda CT90
Manufacturer Honda
Transmission 4-speed, automatic clutch

Fuel consumption c. 100 mpg‑US (43 km/l)

Huh! The best I ever got in town with mine was 90 mpg! Evil or Very Mad

My 1965 Super Cub 50cc gets about 150mpg. I've been considering a 90cc, so I can break 25mph on flat ground and go uphill without pissing off other people on the road.

In the winter, though, I drive a 1988 Ford Festiva L.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for high MPG cars Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Onceler wrote:

That’s my impression also

Yeah pretty much the truth....
Recently had a Nissan Versa traded in at my work (GM dealer)... 66k miles. clean overall basic car.. but the trans was bad..
The sales jerks sold it pre service check... which happens way too often in our business.
Parts got a used one.. paid me 10 to put it in.. = bad used trans... got a second replacement = paid me another 10 trans seemed ok... = Dealer lost all profit on the used car.. = idiots.

I think a new Nissan replacement was 4k... ??? .. more than the car was worth.. hahaha
Used trans was I think 1500 and labor was around 2500 after the second round..
Its a roll of the dice with used CVT transmissions..
If you can put one in yourself.. you can snag some good deals on cars that had bad CVT's .. and take your chances

Ill do them all day long for 10 hours a pop... done in 4.. cha ching.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for high MPG cars Reply with quote

Don't paint all electric vehicles and hybrids with the same brush. Nissan Leafs (Leaves?) and early Honda hybrids have battery problems, but that's because of poor engineering and dishonest marketing. If you run the battery all the way up and all the way down to get a higher headline range number, it will lose capacity rapidly. Chevy Volts have been out a long time, and the batteries just don't fail. They have sophisticated management software, and are very conservative, only using the middle 2/3 of the battery's capacity.

Electricity works out to about half the cost of gas, depending on where you live.

If you have a long highway commute, and no way to charge when you get there, it's probably not the right fit. But 80% of trips are less than 35 miles, so if you fit that profile, it works great. If you can charge at your destination, it's a no-brainer. The thing is incredibly well engineered, and used ones are cheap.

I bought my 2013 two years ago for $12K with 42K miles, and the only maintenance cost in 32K miles I've owned it is tires (the one oil change was free because it is covered under the Certified Pre-Owned warranty. The forums have stories of very high miles with no problems.

If you do drain the battery, the gas engine gives 35 mpg at 80 mph, 40 if you stay near the speed limit.

I don't know why everyone doesn't have one as their grocery getter or commuter. I guess GM is still being punished for canceling the EV1 twenty years ago.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for high MPG cars Reply with quote

Zeen wrote:

I don't know why everyone doesn't have one as their grocery getter or commuter.

Because you can get a beater that will hit 35-40 MPG for under five grand, maybe even under three grand. Why spend any more?
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for high MPG cars Reply with quote

BSQUARE wrote:

I came here to recommend a Festiva. I just got home last night from a 5,200 mile trip from SC to AZ and back, with two days and 312 hard miles on a road course thrown in the middle. It's an 1800 pound car, and was loaded down to 2240 pounds with all the extra roadtrip stuff and me in it. It still got 40 mpg at 65 mph, 35 mpg at 80 mph, and 30 mpg at 90-95. It's a carbureted '89 L; the 90-93 efi cars would get better mileage than that. The only trouble I had on the whole trip was a shift linkage bolt that came loose- 10 min fix in the Autozone parking lot. You can add coilovers for $6-700 bucks that turn them into supercar-level corner mosters (yes, they're really that good) yet still ride very comfortably on the street. They're definitely the best car under $2k if you're into getting good mileage and having something fun to drive. Check out #stivalife on instagram!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for high MPG cars Reply with quote

Link

APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for high MPG cars Reply with quote

theastronaut wrote:
BSQUARE wrote:

I came here to recommend a Festiva. I just got home last night from a 5,200 mile trip from SC to AZ and back, with two days and 312 hard miles on a road course thrown in the middle. It's an 1800 pound car, and was loaded down to 2240 pounds with all the extra roadtrip stuff and me in it. It still got 40 mpg at 65 mph, 35 mpg at 80 mph, and 30 mpg at 90-95. It's a carbureted '89 L; the 90-93 efi cars would get better mileage than that. The only trouble I had on the whole trip was a shift linkage bolt that came loose- 10 min fix in the Autozone parking lot. You can add coilovers for $6-700 bucks that turn them into supercar-level corner mosters (yes, they're really that good) yet still ride very comfortably on the street. They're definitely the best car under $2k if you're into getting good mileage and having something fun to drive. Check out #stivalife on instagram!

Festiva, made by KIA Smile

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for high MPG cars Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:

Festiva, made by KIA Smile

Yep- designed by Mazda, built by Kia with mostly Mazda parts, and sold by Mazda, Kia, and Ford. The Japanese market Festivas were built by Ford in Japan but still had Mazda drivetrain. I'd love to import a JDM Festiva GT DOHC, they had a destroked version of the Miata 1.6 engine and many other upgrades we never got here.

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: