Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1954 RHD Kombi
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ippocamp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 RHD Kombi Reply with quote

Wonderful, incredible! Shocked
I just discover the post, and it's crazy the job done in one year. Rolling Eyes
Respect! Wink
bathtub57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 RHD Kombi Reply with quote

ippocamp wrote:
Wonderful, incredible! Shocked
I just discover the post, and it's crazy the job done in one year. Rolling Eyes
Respect! Wink

Thanks. Just waiting to get it back from the trimmers now. Will post pics soon.
okrasa power
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 RHD Kombi Reply with quote

Yes I saved this from scrap and gave it some love before Al took over

Good luck with it!! The Barndoor looks amazing

Mikki Piirlaid
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bathtub57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 RHD Kombi Reply with quote

okrasa power wrote:
Yes I saved this from scrap and gave it some love before Al took over

Good luck with it!! The Barndoor looks amazing

Mikki Piirlaid

Hi Mikki

Thanks so much for posting and the comments! Do you have any more intel on the bus or any more pictures you can share?

Cheers

Mark

Update * The bus went from the lovely people at Bromsgrove Auto Trim having been trimmed with a deluxe style interior over to Airteriors where Nick has installed a clever dual rock n roll bed system, a gas heater, ICE system, lighting and flooring. I don't have any decent pictures as yet but here are a couple and the 'spare' engine that is nearly ready (long story on that one).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

audistw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 RHD Kombi Reply with quote

Sorry but i don't like the gauges....

Why you don't use originals? And seperate just the rpms Gauge (Maybe from VDO or Aircooled Accesiors?
bathtub57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 RHD Kombi Reply with quote

audistw wrote:

Why you don't use originals? And seperate just the rpms Gauge (Maybe from VDO or Aircooled Accesiors?

The dash is a bolt in custom dash. As it's a kombi it has a single pod with a speedo. I have this separately. We wanted to do something special for Volksworld.

This bus is a custom build, there are lots of things on it that some people will love and others will hate. Every thing that is custom on the bus can be undone down the line if I ever choose to go that route. Even the colour is not original as you know. At least if ever we do go standard it will be an easy conversion relative to what we started with.

Sorry but this is the route we chose to take on this bus and hopefully whether people like it or not they will find it interesting and it will create a discussion.

Cheers

Mark
Peter_N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 RHD Kombi Reply with quote

bathtub57 wrote:

That's so cool! Is there a rear safari window or did you make an rear cargo lid that can be opened?
There's actually a car brand (can't remember, Audi maybe) that now has similar strips in the boot that lift from the floor to prevent cargo from sliding around.

What do you mean with a double rock and roll bed btw? Just looking for inspiration Very Happy
audistw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 RHD Kombi Reply with quote

bathtub57 wrote:
audistw wrote:

The dash is a bolt in custom dash. As it's a kombi it has a single pod with a speedo. I have this separately. We wanted to do something special for Volksworld.

This bus is a custom build, there are lots of things on it that some people will love and others will hate. Every thing that is custom on the bus can be undone down the line if I ever choose to go that route. Even the colour is not original as you know. At least if ever we do go standard it will be an easy conversion relative to what we started with.

Sorry but this is the route we chose to take on this bus and hopefully whether people like it or not they will find it interesting and it will create a discussion.

Cheers

Mark

I am totally with you, for me the whole concept is great expect the gauges, but that's just my tought Cool
Hate it or Love it.
BTW the colour is really great!
bathtub57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 RHD Kombi Reply with quote

Peter_N wrote:
bathtub57 wrote:

That's so cool! Is there a rear safari window or did you make an rear cargo lid that can be opened?
There's actually a car brand (can't remember, Audi maybe) that now has similar strips in the boot that lift from the floor to prevent cargo from sliding around.

What do you mean with a double rock and roll bed btw? Just looking for inspiration Very Happy

Thanks Peter,
We have a rear safari window though not sure how practical that will be!
As you know Barndoors don't work with a rock n roll bed so Rusty Lee made a special arrangement with 2 beds that face each other and lay flat. I don't have any pics of mine as yet but there are some online of a similar set up I'll try and dig up.
Peter_N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 RHD Kombi Reply with quote

bathtub57 wrote:
Peter_N wrote:

Thanks Peter,
We have a rear safari window though not sure how practical that will be!
As you know Barndoors don't work with a rock n roll bed so Rusty Lee made a special arrangement with 2 beds that face each other and lay flat. I don't have any pics of mine as yet but there are some online of a similar set up I'll try and dig up.

Ah right, that sounds like a cool setup!
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 RHD Kombi Reply with quote

My 54’ single cab 11/54 was also shipped to Kemsley, London, England and wound up in Albany / Perth as far as I can tell from the sign writing I found. I remember looking into the Kemsley dealer and it appeared they have a distributor for VW there. So maybe it was a destination to ship from to Australia.
Mine is the Melville RHD single thread.

The bus is looking great! Mine

wanted:
RHD Barndoor floor mat..reproduction is fine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bathtub57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 RHD Kombi Reply with quote

gatorwyatt wrote:
My 54’ single cab 11/54 was also shipped to Kemsley, London, England and wound up in Albany / Perth as far as I can tell from the sign writing I found. I remember looking into the Kemsley dealer and it appeared they have a distributor for VW there. So maybe it was a destination to ship from to Australia.
Mine is the Melville RHD single thread.

The bus is looking great! Mine

Yes, I know others that went to Australia via Kemsley, they seem to handle most of the exports at that time.

I'll look up your thread.

Cheers,
Mark
okrasa power
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 RHD Kombi Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
okrasa power
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 RHD Kombi Reply with quote

This was it 14 years ago just after it was saved
bathtub57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 RHD Kombi Reply with quote

okrasa power wrote:

Wow, there it is. Thanks for posting that. It has come a long way since then, I am hoping to have some chance to show it this year.

Really appreciate the info and the pictures.

Nick has been working on the interior during lockdown and is about done.
bathtub57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 RHD Kombi Reply with quote

It’s been a long journey but the kombi is now fully finished and doing its rounds of the shows in the UK where, I am pleased to say, it has been well received. There have been some challenges, sadly because of covid causing so many problems for so many people involved in the project, but we are all back on the road now.

To top it all off it will be featured in Volksworld next month. I cannot believe having read it for 20+ years I have my own cover vehicle.

LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 RHD Kombi Reply with quote

Congratulations Mark. I just read your thread and the first few post are my favorite. I love Al's incredible early metal work. Great job Al Agyik.

Did you ever find out if the bus was used as a Rudolf Steiner School transporter? If it is this school (see link), the school sounds amazing with a scientific focus & holistic approach. Perhaps if it was their bus you are contributing to Rudolf's philosophy but with the power of the future. https://www.steinereducation.edu.au/steiner-educat...-movement/

Looking forward to picking up a VolksWorld issue with your bus on the cover.
Happy Motoring,
Linda

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bathtub57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 RHD Kombi Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Congratulations Mark. I just read your thread and the first few post are my favorite. I love Al's incredible early metal work. Great job Al Agyik.

Did you ever find out if the bus was used as a Rudolf Steiner School transporter? If it is this school (see link), the school sounds amazing with a scientific focus & holistic approach. Perhaps if it was their bus you are contributing to Rudolf's philosophy but with the power of the future. https://www.steinereducation.edu.au/steiner-educat...-movement/

Looking forward to picking up a VolksWorld issue with your bus on the cover.
Happy Motoring,
Linda

Sorry Linda I don't know. Thank's for the kind words.
bathtub57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1954 RHD Kombi Reply with quote

Some pictures from this weekends event, VW Action where we were very pleased to win Best in Show.

There have been talks of bringing the bus to the US for 2023 if we can get any show invites.
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1954 RHD Kombi Reply with quote

bathtub57 wrote:
There have been talks of bringing the bus to the US for 2023 if we can get any show invites.

June 2023 will be the second barndoor gathering at OCTO. Everyone is invited.

My Tacayo Barndoor Mafia will be able to give you more info (all though he’s been on tour with Wu-Tang filling in for ODB; so he doesn’t come on this site as much).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: