Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Horn only works when I click the brights
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treltom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Horn only works when I click the brights Reply with quote

On my 74 SB, the horn did not work. I took the cover off on the steering wheel and the wire was disconnected. I reconnected it and it still didn't work. Then, by chance I discovered that clicking the brights on and off sounded the horn! More testing seems to reveal that the horn sounds when the wheel is turned but not when the wheel is straight. Has anyone else heard of this? Thoughts on how to fix this??
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Horn only works when I click the brights Reply with quote

Remove the steering wheel & make sure that the turn signal switch retaining screws are all there & tight.

Then reinstall the steering wheel & check the distance between the lock housing & the steering wheel. This can be adjusted by loosening the two bolt attaching the lock housing to the dash & the third that clamps the housing to the column.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Horn only works when I click the brights Reply with quote

I can think of two things that might cause this:
    1) Your turn signal switch assembly is loose. Pulling on the turn signal lever brings the brass ear on the face of the switch into contact with the brass contact ring on the underside of the steering wheel.
    Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Try tightening the switch down and lifting the brass ears up so they are in constant contact with the steering wheel.

2) The horn and dimmer switch wiring has been swapped. There are three (3) brown wires running thru the turn signal switch assembly. Here are what they are for:
    Horn: Brown wire coming from the horn connects to the brass ear which contacts the brass run on the underside of the steering wheel.

Dimmer switch: Brown wire which connects to ground. Brown/white wire which runs to the headlight dimmer relay (S terminal). When the dimmer switch is pulled it grounds the brown/white wire.

If you have the dimmer switch wired to ground and the horn it will ground the horn wire and sound the horn when you pull on the switch.

'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn only works when I click the brights Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Remove the steering wheel & make sure that the turn signal switch retaining screws are all there & tight.

Then reinstall the steering wheel & check the distance between the lock housing & the steering wheel. This can be adjusted by loosening the two bolt attaching the lock housing to the dash & the third that clamps the housing to the column.

Yep.

It's this gap here. Mine did it too. Gapped it according to Bentley. All is good.

SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: