Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dual carb engine help please!
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nekomorgan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Dual carb engine help please! Reply with quote

So about a month ago a spark plug blew out of the #1 cylinder and i decided im gonna have the engine rebuilt since its needed it for some time but yesterday i decided im gonna try to make it run for at least a little bit before i get the engine rebuilt. It has fual 34ict webers and i disconnected the linkage arm and unbolted the right side carb from the manifold then the manifold from the carb. I never disconnected the fuel lines or balance tube i just pushed them both back out the way to insert the spark plug with a new thread insert. I also didn't touch the adjustment screws. Its all bolted together now and runs but has a rough idle and when i apply throttle it wants to stall. And the head threads are good enough since the plug was solid after inserted. I dont know why it isnt running since i havent changed any adjustment screws. Could it be since it sat not running for a month or that since i had to "throttle" the linkage while off it kinda flooded it? I left it overnight and am about to check it again if any hoses are pinched and the carb is getting gas through the faucet looking thing (i cant remember the actual term). Thx in advance
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual carb engine help please! Reply with quote

I think when you unbolted the carb from the manifold, you lost the fine adjustment of the linkage cross-rod that attaches to that carb. When you installed the carb after the plug repair, there would be enough space in the mounting holes of the manifold that the carb can move around maybe 1mm in either direction. You'll now need to either:
1. Loosen the carb's 2 mounting nuts so that you can move the carb slightly so that the linkage rod lines up precisely with the carb's throttle arm hole. Then tighten the nuts.
2. With the carb in place, adjust the linkage rod one turn to compensate for the slight distance that the carb is now positioned. This is the easier solution because it's difficult to reach the front mounting nut of the carb when the engine is in the car.

On my dual-carb engines, I don't remove the carb from the manifold at all while still on the engine; just the two nuts that hold the manifold to the head and remove the carb together with the manifold as one unit.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual carb engine help please! Reply with quote

I have no idea. What a faucet looking thing is on a set of dual carbs.

Perhaps it's time to post a pic or two of what your trying to describe.

Anytime you remove a carb from the engine. You have to re-sync the carbs.
The slightest movement in any direction can get the linkage out of sync.

Also look for vacuum leaks on the carb/manifold that you removed from the engine.

Good Luck.
EDIT: Tree'd by Rome. Dammit! Lol.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!

Last edited by 67rustavenger on Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual carb engine help please! Reply with quote

Check for vacuum leaks as well. Pretty common problem with dual carbs, and tight quarters. It's easy to not get something flat on the sealing surface when you have very little room to work.
Nekomorgan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual carb engine help please! Reply with quote

Yeah i just checked for leaks with the two unlinked and no rpm change. How would i go about syncing the linkage with the carbs?
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual carb engine help please! Reply with quote

Nekomorgan wrote:
Yeah i just checked for leaks with the two unlinked and no rpm change. How would i go about syncing the linkage with the carbs?

You got some learning to do lol.
https://www.aircooled.net/synchronize-dual-vw-carburetors-103/
MR71TRANSAM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual carb engine help please! Reply with quote

Nekomorgan wrote:

give this link a try. Hope it helps

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=dual+carburet...ORM=VDRVRV
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: