Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

steering wheel 90* off center
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: steering wheel 90* off center Reply with quote

My steering wheel is off center by exactly 90 degrees. This is not a tie rod issue as the bus runs as straight as an arrow. The spoke interferes with my abiltity to see the speedometer. There is a centering key on the bus steering shaft and that is installed correctly too. So I'm left with drag link or the steering box itself any ideas out there?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

possible the wheel was put on like that. Could pull it and reposition it.
rizzag
Now Wut?

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: steering wheel 90* off center Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
My steering wheel is off center by exactly 90 degrees. This is not a tie rod issue as the bus runs as straight as an arrow. The spoke interferes with my abiltity to see the speedometer. There is a centering key on the bus steering shaft and that is installed correctly too. So I'm left with drag link or the steering box itself any ideas out there?

straighten your wheels, disconnect the draglink, count the turns your steering wheel makes then center it, then adjust your draglink until it meets up with the steering box arm. any fine tuning will have to be done through your tierods at an alignment shop.
rizzag
Now Wut?

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sundial Camper wrote:
possible the wheel was put on like that. Could pull it and reposition it.

he didnt mention the year of the bus but as long as it is a split and not an early barndoor then the steering wheel has a keyway and not splined so it cant be repositioned like a bug.
travelvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rizzag is right, it can't be repositioned like a bug. You've gotta' adjust the drag link. If the rest of your front end is aligned correctly, you can adjust the drag link as he explained and won't have to go to an alignment shop. Its really simple, good luck,
K
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rusting Hulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a 'stamped' line on the shaft that comes out of the steering box and one on the drop arm they should line up, check this before adjusting drag link.
Liveonjg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: steering wheel 90* off center Reply with quote

Reviving an ancient thread...

I have the same problem as the OP.

I have a 62 Single Cab.

Looking at things, it seems a simpler solution would be to remove the Pitman arm as it is more easily accessible.

I haven't done this before so I'd like some advice from the experts.

Thanks,
John

77 FI 2L Westfalia - Ripple
77 FI 2L Westfalia - Althea
62 Dual Carb Single Cab - Lou
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: steering wheel 90* off center Reply with quote

rizzag wrote:
straighten your wheels, disconnect the draglink, count the turns your steering wheel makes then center it, then adjust your draglink until it meets up with the steering box arm. any fine tuning will have to be done through your tierods at an alignment shop.

this procedure is also outlined in the service manual.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: steering wheel 90* off center Reply with quote

Liveonjg wrote:

Looking at things, it seems a simpler solution would be to remove the Pitman arm as it is more easily accessible.

Sure, but problem is that when the Pitman arm becomes parallel with the drag link the steering will lock up on you at speed.
Liveonjg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: steering wheel 90* off center Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I will disconnect the drag link.

77 FI 2L Westfalia - Ripple
77 FI 2L Westfalia - Althea
62 Dual Carb Single Cab - Lou
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: