Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:
If you're still struggling with that tie rod, I've cut the nut end off of about 5 now with 100% success. It heats everything up good and they slide right off. But if it didnt, it would give me plenty of room to get a hammer and punch in there to finish it up. Or a drill bit.

I've started going to this within about 5 minutes of trying now.

I didn’t have trouble removing the tie rod from the knuckle, it’s fighting me on the opposing end where it threads into the arm.
9/10 I usually replace the entire arm, with new tie rods on both ends, but frustrations are here because I was being cheap.

Ohhh, yeah... been there. Gave up on that. Lol
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
SamboSamba22 wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:
If you're still struggling with that tie rod, I've cut the nut end off of about 5 now with 100% success. It heats everything up good and they slide right off. But if it didnt, it would give me plenty of room to get a hammer and punch in there to finish it up. Or a drill bit.

I didn’t have trouble removing the tie rod from the knuckle, it’s fighting me on the opposing end where it threads into the arm.
9/10 I usually replace the entire arm, with new tie rods on both ends, but frustrations are here because I was being cheap.

Yeah, it sucks I'm over it haha
Trying to find good ball joints, anyone have any sources?

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:
SamboSamba22 wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:

Yeah, it sucks I'm over it haha

I got mine from BusDepot or WW or something, I haven't even installed mine yet, but them seem like OK quality. I'd be willing to sell if you're interested I can get details. Although, are the 1968 ball joints the same as 1970? I'm not sure.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:

I got a set of Nakata ball joints from volktronix off ebay.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
SamboSamba22 wrote:

Hi John,

Out of curiosity, what was the country of origin? Did you run into any of the complaints/issues that the others mentioned above?
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Just pulled the trigger on the (4) Nakata Ball Joint deal on Ebay through a supplier named Volktonix. $59 bucks shipped. If one Doka can find use of them Jtauxe, perhaps two can! Time will tell.

Began rocker installation on the truck this morning before going into work. Started with the rear most rocker on the driver side, trying to warm up my welding skills again before tackling the inner and outer rocker under the cargo door on the passenger side.

All I got done was the stitch welding across the top as I ran out of gas.
It's a start.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

This may be a dumb question but what's up with the raised vertical shoulder in the left side of that replacement part?
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

70Crew wrote:
This may be a dumb question but what's up with the raised vertical shoulder in the left side of that replacement part?

It’s similar to the folded metal around the bed metal. It’s where the metal of the rocker panel folds over the rib from the cab pillar. The folded section gets a plug weld to join the two.
The guru Glideking can be seen working this similar metal in his single cab videos, more specifically when he has finished welding the corrugated metal on the bed and is folding over the corners with vise grips.

jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

white74westy wrote:
jtauxe wrote:
Out of curiosity, what was the country of origin? Did you run into any of the complaints/issues that the others mentioned above?
Well, I have only 500 miles on them so far, but so far, so good. I bought two sets at the time, and have one stored as spares, 'cause, well, I like spares.

I'd have to go out and look at the box to determine country of origin, but it is behind some fresh snow at the shed.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Basketcase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

fantastic job! Even beat up and crusty...these old VWs looks better than 99% of the new stuff out there.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
white74westy wrote:
jtauxe wrote:
Well, I have only 500 miles on them so far, but so far, so good. I bought two sets at the time, and have one stored as spares, 'cause, well, I like spares.

I'd have to go out and look at the box to determine country of origin, but it is behind some fresh snow at the shed.

Well just got off the phone with a friend of mine. Apparently he ordered a bunch of front end parts for a guy back in 2011 whereas the guy never picked up his products (hadn't paid). Here we are 8 years later and I have a chance to pick up some German ball joints. Guess I'll be offering the Nakata's I ordered to someone here on the Samba in the future.

Not familiar with the ball joint make, started with a M but wasn't Meyle, I'll be sure to get some pictures.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Basketcase wrote:
fantastic job! Even beat up and crusty...these old VWs looks better than 99% of the new stuff out there.

Thanks a lot, it's a slow process that's for sure. I really want to blast the exterior of the truck, but with research am learning of a lot of cons doing so.
So it looks like it may be some heavy applications of paint stripper and time.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Finishing up the rockers on the driver side this weekend, I have a couple more areas to correct, I keep getting some burn through on this 50 year old metal.

Below you can see some of the burn through:

The ball joints I ordered through Ebay came in, and to my surprise are stating to be Brazilian. This was through Volktec/Volktronix for $60 shipped.

This evening will consist of me cutting out the rot on the passenger side rocker and assessing the condition of the interior areas. I have it, along with the rocker section below the cargo door to correct.

As for the nose, I need to replace the inner front valance/support. I'm looking at ordering the lower half of the nose from Klassicfab. Trying to source a donor section for the lower windshield section. The nose is crunchy but I don't want to replace the whole thing, that's more in depth and truly testing my fabrication and welding abilities.

More to come, thanks for riding along guys,
Sam

Basketcase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

fantastic! wish I had those welding skills.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Basketcase wrote:

If I can do it, I ASSURE you, you can too!
I'm not really any good at it, a friend once told me, "if you're not any good with a welder, you better perfect the use of a grinder".

Thank you nonetheless. Just a VW guy too broke to pay for labor.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Basketcase wrote:

If I can do it, I ASSURE you, you can too!
I'm not really any good at it, a friend once told me, "if you're not any good with a welder, you better perfect the use of a grinder".

Thank you nonetheless. Just a VW guy too broke to pay for labor.

Good job going in deep to replace all the rusted out metal. As you stated, you're saving yourself thousands of dollars on metal. Wink

A couple suggestions looking at these welds-

* It "looks" to me like your heat on the welder isn't high enough based on the height of these welds. You said you're burning through in spots. That could be your wire feed speed is too high, not just the temp being too high.

* The gaps between the panels you are joining could be too wide as well.

I'm no expert welder by any means. But what I learned welding a lot of panels onto my bug was-

* The metal you're welding needs to be clean. No rust, primer, grease, etc. I would even wipe down the seams I was welding with brake clean.
* You have to dial in the speed and heat settings to be in sink w/each other. When your heat isn't high enough, the height of your weld is tall and the penetration is poor. When the heat and wire speed is correct, the weld height is very low as it melts and flows and you get excellent penetration.

The quality of mig-welded certainly plays into this. The finer you can adjust the two setting, the better welds you can achieve. When I got this figured out, the time spent grinding was cut by 2/3's as I didn't have to grind big, tall blobs any longer.

There's some great mig-welding videos on youtube. I watched several when I wanted to achieve some good mig welds while welding above my head. They were very helpful.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

[quote="wcfvw69"]
SamboSamba22 wrote:
Basketcase wrote:

A couple suggestions looking at these welds-

* It "looks" to me like your heat on the welder isn't high enough based on the height of these welds. You said you're burning through in spots. That could be your wire feed speed is too high, not just the temp being too high.

* The gaps between the panels you are joining could be too wide as well.

I'm no expert welder by any means. But what I learned welding a lot of panels onto my bug was-

* The metal you're welding needs to be clean. No rust, primer, grease, etc. I would even wipe down the seams I was welding with brake clean.
* You have to dial in the speed and heat settings to be in sink w/each other. When your heat isn't high enough, the height of your weld is tall and the penetration is poor. When the heat and wire speed is correct, the weld height is very low as it melts and flows and you get excellent penetration.

The quality of mig-welded certainly plays into this. The finer you can adjust the two setting, the better welds you can achieve. When I got this figured out, the time spent grinding was cut by 2/3's as I didn't have to grind big, tall blobs any longer.

There's some great mig-welding videos on youtube. I watched several when I wanted to achieve some good mig welds while welding above my head. They were very helpful.

Thanks Bill.
I’m learning much of what you are saying here. I’m really learning the patience one has to have fabricating the Replacement panels to fit properly before attempting to weld in. Also learning what the weld should look like through the helmet as I’m doing so, listening for the “sizzling bacon” sounds.
I’m enjoying it. It’s tedious and at times, difficult. But I’m proud of how long I’ve come, you know there was a time when I was attempting to perfect the art of riveting. Laughing

crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Great looking Truck !! Just keep moving foward, your welding will be much better by the time you finish.
I learned to weld in High School, my wife got me a oxy./acc. set up for a graduation gift from Culinary school Laughing and I've had a Mig since '95, I still had a hard time when I started on my '66 Single in '07, but by the end , the welds look much better. I have started using a 500 watt light to help see where I need to be while welding, as the eyes are not as good now .....

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

What’s the reason for not buying the correct panels, and maintaining body seams?
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

VWsArent4Hippies wrote:
What’s the reason for not buying the correct panels, and maintaining body seams?
I’m not seeing any seams in the original pictures.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 22

Jump to: