Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

‘75 Westfalia facet
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AWOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: ‘75 Westfalia facet Reply with quote

Hi all,

We recently got a ‘75 Westfalia that has been sitting for almost two decades. I’m going through the whole bus and trying to get it to run again.

The bus had, as many, some alterations done to it over the years and I am putting as many as I can back to the original way. Now what I can’t find anywhere is how the water facet at the sink is operated on these Westfalia interiors that have the separate sink unit behind the drivers seat. And the whole electrics of the unit were gone. I’ll get a new pump and all, but as said, how is the actually tap operated to get the water pump going?

Any lay outs, pictures or links to necessary parts will be useful and welcome. Thank you!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: ‘75 Westfalia facet Reply with quote

Some of these might help: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
AWOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: ‘75 Westfalia facet Reply with quote

Hi Busdaddy,

Thank you. Unfortunately not. It’s seems to be a not often discussed or mention sink/ facet set up and not many pictures of it around in general as well. Most are ‘76-‘79 busses with the Berlin interior. The one I am looking for is a Düsseldorf interior and I think the Helsinki interiors have the same sink and faucet set up.

If anyone knows how these behind the driver seat sink faucets are operated I would love to hear.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘75 Westfalia facet Reply with quote

How bout this?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/aug73westy.php

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
AWOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘75 Westfalia facet Reply with quote

That is it and also how I know them. Just here comes the catch. The one that is on our ‘75 bus is a switch at the top that had the actual faucet and next to it the switch lever for the switching between tank water and city water. I just don’t know how the tap (water pump) is actually activated. As it’s different than on the diagram you kindly send.
Therefore does anyone have this set up and know or can show how it activates and switches or how it’s connected?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘75 Westfalia facet Reply with quote

How about some pics?, it's likely from something else, maybe one of us will recognize it. Or has someone converted it to a demand pump system?

Слава Україні!
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘75 Westfalia facet Reply with quote

Mine is how you describe yours with a switch.
There is a 12volt pump at the side of the water tank. The toggle switch beside the tap is fed by a wire from the fuse panel. The wire is fused in line,runs under the carpet in the front passing thru the seat stand and into the cabinet behind the drivers seat.
Of course the city water line threads on to the faucet and water comes out when tap is opened

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
AWOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘75 Westfalia facet Reply with quote

Pioneer1,

Thank you. That sounds exactly spot on and is how mine is besides the actual switch next to the faucet that you mention. That’s missing with me and so is part of the wiring below it. Unfortunately I seem to be unable to place a picture of it here.
A switch would make sense and seems right. Just I couldn’t find any picture ma of this part of one of these interiors nor any lay outs. So I wasn’t sure.

It’s a toggle switch you say? A metal one I presume? Any picture of it maybe as then I know exactly what to do and get. Many thanks.
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: ‘75 Westfalia facet Reply with quote

I have a ‘75 and can take pics if you need them...the 12v power and ground wires I have come from behind the driver’s seat and into the sink cabinet through a hole...but once inside you can really use whatever pump, switch, and water nozzle you’d like. The recently produced repro Westy faucets often start leaking where the swinging outlet tube connects to the base. Instead of the rotary switch I installed a momentary switch in the faucet base and a potentiometer inside the cabinet to better control the flow. My stock pump went south so I’m using one I found on Amazon. It all works well and we use the faucet/tank quite a bit on camping trips.

My next mod will be replacing the stock setup with a city water connection and the dual mode faucet from a ‘76 or later Westy.
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AWOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: ‘75 Westfalia facet Reply with quote

Hi DougB,

Thanks for your reply. Pictures are always welcome. As there are very few of this type of interior around. Mine is as you describe, just my switch isnt in the faucet base, but appears to have been next to it or a previous owner made a hole there for a switch. Cant really tell to be honest. Think I will go for a switch to fit in that hole to operate the pump. It just needs a long neck shank toggle switch as the panels are quite thick. Not been able to find one that will fit.
AWOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: ‘75 Westfalia facet Reply with quote

Mystery is solved, the faucet is the same in a Westfalia Düsseldorf interior as the later Berlin one. I was just misled by the fact the white plastic below it was cut neatly by a previous owner. So I didn’t recognize it. 🤦🏼‍♂️
To get it back to original I need the plastic foot, which 3D printers can make, and the white little rotary switch. Anyone knows who or where they still sell these rotary switches?
AWOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: ‘75 Westfalia facet Reply with quote

After some searching I can answer my own question and to help others for the future, the rotary switches are available here:

The white one is available at Busdepot:
https://www.busdepot.com/231070804

And a black one at Lowe’s:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-Single-Pole-Black...lsrc=aw.ds
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: