Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW engined motorcycles
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CEhorse1600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: VW engined motorcycles Reply with quote

Anyone interested in building a VW bike ? I've built a couple over the years, one in the chopper style and the latest one being a roadster or muscle bike. Here are pics to give an idea of how this works.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: VW engined motorcycles Reply with quote

Pretty awesome, looks like you've perfected the conversion. Was that a Guzzi that you started with?

If I was still riding, I'd definitely be interested. I'd thought about it for years when I was in the wind. Cool

Oh, curious: I can't tell, is it injected?
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: VW engined motorcycles Reply with quote

Nice! I've always wanted to find a Ural sidecar rig with a blown motor to swap a VW engine onto.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
CEhorse1600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: VW engined motorcycles Reply with quote

This bike is a one off. I made the frame myself and used the VW transaxle modified with a thru shaft and foot shift mechanism of my own design. Fueling is by single SU 44mm.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: VW engined motorcycles Reply with quote

I think what's really impressive is how the whole powertrain appears to just hang in space, like a piece of art...the lower frame members just blend in.
CEhorse1600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: VW engined motorcycles Reply with quote

I wanted to create a strong frame that gave easy access to removing the engine. The trans is held between a couple of thin plates that bolt to strong brackets on the underside of the beam frame. The sub frame mounts to the trans mounts, at the bellhousing and at the gear selector housing.
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: VW engined motorcycles Reply with quote

Best I've seen. Great carb layout. Would love to hear that exhaust setup.😀
CEhorse1600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: VW engined motorcycles Reply with quote

Thanks, the carb needle, spring and jet info came from a Mr Sullivan on the old Swedish trike garage website (for VW trikes with the diff reversed and the motor at the front). The exhaust sound is very different from the cannons that I ran before. It sounds more like a production bike, a bit like a Subaru ! The bike has a little more Low down torque and a little less top end, which suits the roads round here.
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: VW engined motorcycles Reply with quote

Hi Daryl.
Got it looking good!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CEhorse1600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: VW engined motorcycles Reply with quote

Thanks, will add tank legend plates soon, and might change the colour to burnt orange with gloss black at some point. Here's my first effort, back in 2010 !
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: VW engined motorcycles Reply with quote

Looks good! No heat issues with no tins installed? How does that single carb work out?
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: VW engined motorcycles Reply with quote

the exhaust on the blue one would keep your feet toasty and warm!
CEhorse1600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: VW engined motorcycles Reply with quote

The SU carb works well, but off course you can't just put any SU on. It must have the correct internal spring, needle and jets....and even then it's only approximate, as it's non standard kit and you're into research and development to make it work. No perfect at all revs fuel injection here. I did run twin 40mm solex carbs (kadron kit), on the chopper for a few years, and that worked well with smaller than standard jets. It certainly ran strongly at medium to high revs, but a little reluctant to pick up from lower revs under load. Concluded that the 40s would work better with bigger engine higher lift cam and the cannons.
CEhorse1600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: VW engined motorcycles Reply with quote

The cannon exhausts certainly kept your legs warm on cold days. I met a South African guy who had built a couple of VW bikes, one in Indonesia, and one in SA. Thought he was bull shitting me at first, until I saw the pictures, and he had the same VW bike injury as me....burns on calf front from touching the bloody exhaust pipe ! Yes I wrapped them.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: VW engined motorcycles Reply with quote

There is along neglected Ural gear up rig not far from me. I have thought about snagging it, but didn't know if it would be worth messing with what is sure to be a huge headache of engine repairs. I have thought about a VW engine/trans adaptation, but couldn't quite wrap my head around it.

Things makes me start thinking...
2weel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: VW engined motorcycles Reply with quote

Cool bike!

There are groups specific to VW powered Motorcycles. Yahoo groups has one so does Facebook.

Back in the late sixties and up into the eighties was about the biggest VW powered motorcycle movement. Butterfield (Jacks M/C), Willis 4's and Webley/Vickers were the only ones I know that produced actual VW powered bikes for sale or kits to build your own that were actual companies.

There were a scattering of one offs thru the years and some who made a few.

Amazonas in Brazil during the eighties made behemoth VW powered bikes for the military and Police. Used a VW trans so it had 4 speed with reverse as the bike almost weighed 1000 lbs.

Here is one of Buds bikes

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&...8385328659
2weel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: VW engined motorcycles Reply with quote

Here is the proto type bike from Butterfield.

That shot was in the back of my CC.

Doesn't look like that anymore. Has dual Denfeld seats and more upright position. Kick start only 1600cc SP motor.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/331611.jpg
2weel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: VW engined motorcycles Reply with quote

Buds bike

https://thekneeslider.com/supercharged-porsche-powered-motorcycle/
CEhorse1600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: VW engined motorcycles Reply with quote

I remember your password from the Yahoo group. I found that my blue bike got very few comments, seemingly because it was not a Willis/Webley etc, where using the VW trans was frowned upon, or seen as a poor attempt at getting the VW motor into a bike.
2weel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: VW engined motorcycles Reply with quote

CEhorse1600 wrote:
I remember your password from the Yahoo group. I found that my blue bike got very few comments, seemingly because it was not a Willis/Webley etc, where using the VW trans was frowned upon, or seen as a poor attempt at getting the VW motor into a bike.

I doubt it was lack of interest due to the set up or configuration and or style of VW powered bike on the Yahoo group site. Its not the site! Its the amount of people who have enough interest to own a VW powered motorcycle.

Your bike is cool! Buds bikes are cool! For me I dig them ALL! I have owned an Amazonas my self. It now is living the rest of its life in a museum.

I hear cool comments, I hear the whispers of WTF? The best ones are VW made motorcycles. I, probably like you, just enjoy them for what they are.

In the "VW Powered Community" of anything pushed, pulled, shoved or flown, all is GOOD! Glad you posted it!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: