Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW engined motorcycles
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CEhorse1600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: VW engined motorcycles Reply with quote

Yes, you've summed it up very well ! Was your Amazonas the gold custom model that featured in that group ?
2weel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: VW engined motorcycles Reply with quote

Sorry I have been away for a week!

No mine was Metallic Red with gold pin stripping.

Crazy bike tho. Weird to put a bike in reverse and back peddle with your legs to back up. They weigh almost 1000 lbs so it was a nice feature to stay with the trans.

Rider Magazine (Clement Salvadori) came out and did an article on it for the retrospective section. I let him ride it. He came back shaking his head how weird it was to ride!

It was fun to get it back on the road as it only had 235 Kilometers on it.
Jock666
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: VW engined motorcycles Reply with quote

Nicely done. Couple questions - what did you do with left side of box/diff? ie how did you lock the diff for r/h output only?
What gearing did you use for box/intermediate/final sprocks? - Thay all look same size - what is top cruising/comfortable speed then?
CEhorse1600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: VW engined motorcycles Reply with quote

Standard IRS gearbox with through shaft, supported in both side plate brgs, pinned at spider gear position and with a larger diameter with flats. Sprocket on side plate is approx 15% larger than driven, with final drive sprockets same size. Top speed around 95, which of course could be changed by increasing power from stock and changing sprocket sizes ! Gonna build one ? Most recent addition: EBC floating discs tested today.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jock666
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: VW engined motorcycles Reply with quote

Yep always fancied a BMW based one with BM box as it was nice n short but found a few good write ups and not as straightforward as it would seem. Also found NOS adaptor plates in the States but the ??? selling them wants to charge UK buyers double his advertised price even though hes had foem for 15+ years with no buyers over there!
You should get in touch with Blue at Back Street Heroes to do a feature on the bike!
BTW - what is it registered as??? Wink
CEhorse1600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: VW engined motorcycles Reply with quote

That's annoying ! Sounds like he didn't really intend to sell . There are advantages and disadvantages what ever you do. VMW would be lighter and have sequential foot change, but the frame will need cutting in half and there's a lot of engineering required between the box and motor, and gears might need changing too, because the VW runs at lower revs. Using the transaxle is stronger, but heavier and longer. Then you have to change gear ! My chop was in BSH 268 in 2006 ; a five page article. Last time I looked at BSH was about 2 years ago, and Blue was no longer there. If you do a chop you could have hand change, which is easy to create and works well.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: VW engined motorcycles Reply with quote

You could use an automatic from a front wheel drive only Subaru. ??
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2weel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: VW engined motorcycles Reply with quote

For the VMW to work properly the intermediate shaft has to be moved and gears changed for the solo bike.

Here is why I think that.

I have two VMW's, one solo bike and the other has a sidecar. I actually put the solo bike (non converted) trans back in my sidecar rig. The conversion trans is great for high speed stuff. I just don't ride the sidecar at high speeds for very long and mostly use it around town. Much easier to ride. Conversion trans is REALLY HARD on the clutch with the sidecar. BUT! With newer clutch materials today isn't so bad as it was in the 60's and 70's.
CEhorse1600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: VW engined motorcycles Reply with quote

Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: VW engined motorcycles Reply with quote

I always wondered how the temps were on those bikes with no tins? Seems like it could be ok while driving, but what about when sitting in traffic/at a red light?
2weel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: VW engined motorcycles Reply with quote

No tins? The heat just goes straight up and its not a real big deal. No compartment to trap it in. BUT! I don't ever ride in heavy stop n go traffic. What is more of a concern to most is the exhaust port at your feet. you need a radical bend to go up and over or under to allow room for the riders feet.

Winter time you can keep your toes as warm as you want!
CEhorse1600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: VW engined motorcycles Reply with quote

Back in 2006 I rode my custom VW bike from Somerset to the Ace cafe London, in 30 degree heat. The bike stayed totally reliable, ever through the traffic jams on the journey. The motor did feel hot, so I checked it out after and found that cylinder 3 had scorched the cork gasket on its upper rear corner. If I was in a hot country, I'd fit cooling tins, the UK is rarely hot enough to cause a problem.
CEhorse1600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: VW engined motorcycles Reply with quote

Latest mods
new GPS Speedo, fat bars and American made deflector screen.
CEhorse1600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: VW engined motorcycles Reply with quote

Latest paint job !
CEhorse1600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: VW engined motorcycles Reply with quote

New refurbished four pot calipers from Suzuki bandit 1250.
fonzy33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: VW engined motorcycles Reply with quote

Didnt runge cars have a sweet R60 with vw power?

https://www.cycleworld.com/hand-hammered-aluminum-...ris-runge/
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: VW engined motorcycles Reply with quote

A type 4 would eliminate the burned ankle problem.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: VW engined motorcycles Reply with quote

Beautiful Bike! I have dreamed of building something like that for years. Great job!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: