Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'66 Meyers Manx Period Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Meyers Manx Period Build Reply with quote

I forgot to add the info about my top mounting solution. You can read the full thread here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=716351 (go check it out, it's awesome)

I used these to mount to the roll bar:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0714CYKBJ?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_pd_title

And these to the windshield. Look at the other thread on how I did it:

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111885741A
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111885589

I think they turned out nice!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tlcurtis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Meyers Manx Period Build Reply with quote

Hi Caleb,

This is a beautiful build, I have just a few questions.

What are using for a gas gauge?

As far as the rear wheels I am not familiar with the difference on these, can you and or one of the other members shed some light on this.

Terry,
Kent, WA
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Meyers Manx Period Build Reply with quote

tlcurtis wrote:
Hi Caleb,

This is a beautiful build, I have just a few questions.

What are using for a gas gauge?

As far as the rear wheels I am not familiar with the difference on these, can you and or one of the other members shed some light on this.

Terry,
Kent, WA

Hi Terry! Great spot, you are the first person to notice that I don't have one. Currently I am using the pre '60 bug "stick" method of measurement. I have a sender installed on the tank but I haven't decided if I want to hook one up or not.

As far as the wheels, the difference is subtle. Meyers Manx originally sold widened rear wheels with an outer hoop that looks like a bell. The sides are smooth going from the inside out. The widened bug smoothies you can buy now are not this shape, they retain the bumps that the bug originally had. The difference is easier to see in person but I will try to illustrate here.

Bell wheels:

Widened bug smoothies:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Meyers Manx Period Build Reply with quote

Are you missing the wiper switch? I only see one switch in the dash. My Mini-T has never been drilled for wipers and so far the WSP doesn't seem to care. At one time I had the headlights turn on with the car and had no switches in the dash.

One gas gauge option is to install a reserve handle. I had that on my first manx style buggy. Since you are using a stock style speedometer another option is to switch to an electric sender and use a later Bug speedo with the gas gauge built in.

That looks very nice! I love a simple clean buggy, it just looks right. Is the engine a basically stock 1600 single port?
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Meyers Manx Period Build Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
Are you missing the wiper switch? I only see one switch in the dash. My Mini-T has never been drilled for wipers and so far the WSP doesn't seem to care. At one time I had the headlights turn on with the car and had no switches in the dash.

One gas gauge option is to install a reserve handle. I had that on my first manx style buggy. Since you are using a stock style speedometer another option is to switch to an electric sender and use a later Bug speedo with the gas gauge built in.

That looks very nice! I love a simple clean buggy, it just looks right. Is the engine a basically stock 1600 single port?

Hey there! I actually haven't mounted the wiper switch yet. I have the wipers in and the wiring is there, I just need to plug in a switch. I can't decide where I want it so I might go without for a bit. This thing isn't going to see much rain anyway.

A reserve handle is a great idea. I need to look into them...do you need an earlier tank?

Right now it is a basic 1500 SP, but I did install a nice 30PICT1 with the power fuel circuit from the '67 bug and a 010. Pepped it up quite a bit. The plan is to rebuild this into a period correct vintage speed MANXPOWER motor in the next off season. I am collecting parts now for that one...

Are you still in the area? Would love to get together with some buggy people this Summer. Are you on Facebook? There are a few of us on the PNW Dune Buggy Club page.
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Meyers Manx Period Build Reply with quote

Caleb thanks for the top tips. How did you attach the strap to the top in the front?

I will probably stick with the sides going inside the body, due to the rear window made to fit that way:

How noisy is the top when driving? Worst thing for me was the rattle and squeaking. Going to look for some felt or foam to put inside the fold that the windshield inserts into to minimize it.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Meyers Manx Period Build Reply with quote

calebmelvin wrote:
EVfun wrote:

Hey there! I actually haven't mounted the wiper switch yet. I have the wipers in and the wiring is there, I just need to plug in a switch. I can't decide where I want it so I might go without for a bit. This thing isn't going to see much rain anyway.

A reserve handle is a great idea. I need to look into them...do you need an earlier tank?

Right now it is a basic 1500 SP, but I did install a nice 30PICT1 with the power fuel circuit from the '67 bug and a 010. Pepped it up quite a bit. The plan is to rebuild this into a period correct vintage speed MANXPOWER motor in the next off season. I am collecting parts now for that one...

Are you still in the area? Would love to get together with some buggy people this Summer. Are you on Facebook? There are a few of us on the PNW Dune Buggy Club page.

The reserve tap and handle should fit any tank up into the '70's, any tank that takes the regular outlet should fit the reserve outlet. My first manx style buggy had a reserve tap in a 40 horse era gas tank.

My engine is a single port 1600 with an aftermarket 30PICT1. I have a 019 distributor to go into it and reproduction 1973 Thing exhaust to hang on it.

I'm still just north of Seattle. Never had the Buggy out last summer, but should this summer again. My wife is on the PNW Dune Buggy Club and occasionally posts something for me. We should use that to organize our attendance at some local shows this year. I will make it to some of the shows, I always attend Shoreline, car or not. I plan to attend the May 19th VW show at Sumerian Brewing in Woodinville. I can also be seen running around in a black oval with slotted mags.

Last edited by EVfun on Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:38 am; edited 1 time in total
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Meyers Manx Period Build Reply with quote

YDBD wrote:
Caleb thanks for the top tips. How did you attach the strap to the top in the front?

I will probably stick with the sides going inside the body, due to the rear window made to fit that way:

How noisy is the top when driving? Worst thing for me was the rattle and squeaking. Going to look for some felt or foam to put inside the fold that the windshield inserts into to minimize it.

I love your buggy! It's hard to tell but it looks like you might be able to do the top wings out with the rear window installed, but it's a tiny photo to tell for sure. I would do it out if I could make it work.

The top is a bit noisy after about 35mph. It's not so much any squeaking, this thing is not moving much, but more the whistle of the airflow coming in the gap between the windshield and the top. It would be a good idea to seal it up somehow. Or maybe it would make the top more of a sail. I'm not sure...
tlcurtis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Meyers Manx Period Build Reply with quote

Thanks for education on the bell wheels this helps a lot.

Hat's off to your son's involvement which is priceless.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Meyers Manx Period Build Reply with quote

calebmelvin wrote:

I love your buggy! It's hard to tell but it looks like you might be able to do the top wings out with the rear window installed, but it's a tiny photo to tell for sure. I would do it out if I could make it work.

The top is a bit noisy after about 35mph. It's not so much any squeaking, this thing is not moving much, but more the whistle of the airflow coming in the gap between the windshield and the top. It would be a good idea to seal it up somehow. Or maybe it would make the top more of a sail. I'm not sure...

thanks, yeah, it might work will have to check when I finish adding the trim and snaps.

you didn't mention how you attached the straps to the top???

Noise is the problem with the top, most of the roads here are 100kph so super noisy and windy (not like when I had it in Okinawa, max speed was 80 on the express way {kph!} and 50-60 in town-plus a traffic light every 200meters)

I like your research on the wheels as well, I couldn't match what we had in '69, they were chrome Chevy rims with adapters and white stripe tires are hard to find now ($$$$). Needed to stay under the fenders for inspection as well. I'm satisfied with looking like it did in '69-74, not exact replica.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Meyers Manx Period Build Reply with quote

tlcurtis wrote:
Thanks for education on the bell wheels this helps a lot.

Hat's off to your son's involvement which is priceless.

not to hijack...but what happened to the tlcurtic build???
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Meyers Manx Period Build Reply with quote

I thought I would update this with some of the "completed" photos. Cool

Roscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Meyers Manx Period Build Reply with quote

Way to go man!! Looks totally rad! What’s next?😆
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Meyers Manx Period Build Reply with quote

calebmelvin wrote:
I thought I would update this with some of the "completed" photos.

Nice save!

Very clean retro build! What's with the California plates? Are you able to keep it registered there?

Still wish I had our original black/yellow ones, dad got pulled over for loose headlights and ticketed for having non matching engine/pan #'s, had to re-register as a SPCNS and got the blue/yellow ones in 1970-still have those.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Meyers Manx Period Build Reply with quote

If the Cali Highway Patrol checked the engine numbers on lots of vehicles, like my son's Ranger pickup, they would find lots of them with non-matching engine numbers. It's common practice to replace an engine when it's worn out or otherwise develops a problem. Like my old friend's then brand new Corvette that the original engine got a rod knock at 3 weeks old, or the NSX that my other friend replaced the engine for a customer under warranty at 2 months because the oil pan was a pourous casting and dripped. That engine was bought cheap, got a new oil pan and put into his own 4-seat buggy. But the Vette and the NSX neither one have matching engine numbers after those warranty issues. Now if they mean that it had a 1500 instead of a 1200, so what of that. The State only has a right to have issues with the engine swap if the engine is listed as stolen or violates smog laws. Since at that time, the only smog equipment was a PCV valve on some engines, (not on VWs, they still had a road draft tube) and a few cars got smog pumps, but again, not VWs, the CHP and DMV had no legal cause. A little late to argue it though... Rolling Eyes
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Meyers Manx Period Build Reply with quote

True, but I think the registration was for a bug and had both numbers on it (not sure as I was two years old) and so the ticket was to re register no longer as a bug, but as a special construction with only the chassis number and thus new plates.

Sorry for the hijack Caleb!
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Meyers Manx Period Build Reply with quote

YDBD wrote:
calebmelvin wrote:
I thought I would update this with some of the "completed" photos.

Nice save!

Very clean retro build! What's with the California plates? Are you able to keep it registered there?

Still wish I had our original black/yellow ones, dad got pulled over for loose headlights and ticketed for having non matching engine/pan #'s, had to re-register as a SPCNS and got the blue/yellow ones in 1970-still have those.

They are a matching set from the original buggy that I stole the pan for this build, so I decided to keep them. They are not registered (it has a WA collector plate under the seat) but my PD here is super lenient and they have never said a thing. Cool
bugmanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Meyers Manx Period Build Reply with quote

Beautiful Manx
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Meyers Manx Period Build Reply with quote

bugmanx wrote:
Beautiful Manx

Thank you!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: