Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Why?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Why? Reply with quote

So, I'm wondering why?

I live an hour out of NYC, affluent area, a lot of financed over priced houses, a perceived air of wealth..... but most is one missed paycheck from bankruptcy.
Not rural, not city, older roads, narrow with no shoulders.

Fortunately our town and County are well enough financed to cater to sports and recreation. There are bike paths, walking trails, etc crisscrossing the County.

I ran a morning errand and while headed home around a long sweeping curve, no (zero) shoulder with a steel gaurdrail on thr right.
On the other side of the guardrail is an exercise path. Paved, safe, level.

In the darkness there is this A-Hole running the street side of the guardrail.... fortunately facing traffic, but he really had no safe emergency exit!
I missed him......probably by an inch or two!
He was wearing black! Well DUH!!!!!

Why do health fanatics not use the safe paths provided??

We have one local guy who actually runs the roads center line...... and STAYS THERE!!! Though I haven't seen him for a few months.....

Is there a death wish?
Are running addicts missing brain cells?

Today was about the closest I've ever come. The Mirror on my F-150 may have tickled his hair for all I know!

Don't get me started on spandex clad Bicycles riders ignoring every rule of the road that exists!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Why? Reply with quote

"Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity."
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Why? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Don't get me started on spandex clad Bicycles riders .........

Paging Mr. Ring Wink
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Why? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Yup, we have the same issue in my area, with those bike riders.
Out here we have a lot of very nice 2 lane country roads with no shoulders, and they love to ride 3 wide, creating some havoc when you come around a blind corner right up on them. The funny thing is that they always give you the dirty look like your being the dick. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Why? Reply with quote

aggravates me to no end. Both runners and bikers on narrow shouldered roads. Fast FWD to 18:13 to what i would like to do to those who run/bike the narrow roads.

Link

1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Why? Reply with quote

Running is actually quite tough on the knees. There are less stressful way to get aerobic and muscular fitness.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Why? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Don't get me started on spandex clad Bicycles riders ignoring every rule of the road that exists!

Dave

Dave, not a problem with joggers but you're moving to the wrong area if you want to get away from the cyclists. This is a BIG TIME cycling community. The road I live on is a designated bike route. Luckily they cancelled the Reading 120. That was a nightmare that was hated by everyone BUT the cycling community. I don't mind the casual cyclist, but those clowns that ride in packs of 40-50 while riding 3 abreast…. Evil or Very Mad I see it all summer long.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Why? Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

I don't mind the casual cyclist, but those clowns that ride in packs of 40-50 while riding 3 abreast…. Evil or Very Mad I see it all summer long.

Bingo!!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Why? Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Paging Mr. Ring Wink

Wink
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You should read the motor vehicle laws in your state. Generally they state that cyclists should ride as far to the right that is safe. Who determines what is safe... the cyclist.

It's very safe to ride the shoulder with sand, salt, glass, potholes and general debris when you're in a 4000 pound car. But when you're on a 14 pound bike with tires thin enough for a thorn to cause a flat, if I need to ride in the lane... then you'll just have to wait.

Maybe if your local government maintained the roads, drove street sweepers down them more than once a year and made more bike lanes, you won't be delayed from getting your $7 Starbucks.

BTW... when a car approaches an intersection and there's a stop sign, you should stop at the SIGN and not 10 feet past. Cyclists are not sure you're going to stop and will slow down. this only delays you longer.

Also... PUT DOWN THE DAMN CELL PHONE while driving.

Finally, i always ride with head and tail lights. Being visible is a wise move and the life you save, might just be mine.

Skip to 1:16

Link

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Why? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I live an hour out of NYC, affluent area, a lot of financed over priced houses, a perceived air of wealth..... but most is one missed paycheck from bankruptcy.

This is very disturbing to me. How many people with good jobs that are living paycheck to paycheck.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Why? Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
djkeev wrote:

This is very disturbing to me. How many people with good jobs that are living paycheck to paycheck.

Off the original topic but the last story I saw was at least 50%
I think this is out of everyone though, not only people with good jobs.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Why? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Off the original topic but the last story I saw was at least 50%
I think this is out of everyone though, not only people with good jobs.

Sounds similar to Canada, more than 50% couldn't skip 2 paychecks without getting in trouble apparently, something like an average of $2.50+ of debt for every $ they earn, how do you ever climb out of a hole like that? Cheap easy financing and predatory sales tactics are going to backfire if interest rates increase. Confused Crying or Very sad

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Why? Reply with quote

Like I mention to everyone that starts trying to tell me how much pedestrians and cyclists have the right-of-way here or there, right-of-way means nothing when you're dead.

I ride bike in town, and I walk. I also drive. I live along a cross country bicycle route that is supported by tour companies for folks to ride through scenic areas. Several stretches of that highway are very narrow, very twisty, and runs alongside a large lake with very steep drop offs. I drive that route to work nearly every day in the summer, and there is not another way (mountains and lakes). Cycle tour groups will have people riding two and three abreast along this road, with no concern for the traffic around them. I cannot fathom how someone has not gotten killed yet. This has gone on for several years. I have stopped and mentioned the danger to guys driving the sagwagon at the next stop, but they act like it's no big deal, and tell me they cyclists have the right-of-way.

OK then.

Last edited by cdennisg on Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Why? Reply with quote

Just for fun, I found a video of the drive from here to the MT border. Highway driving starts @ 2:30, narrow curvy bits start at @ 4:00.

Link

Also, I started this @3:00 for the soundtrack. I liked it better than the one provided.

Link

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Why? Reply with quote

Back to the OP, YES!

Every morning I come into the town I work out of at about 6:45 which if you live up here at our latitude means that 6 months of the year it is dark. The highway is narrow as in the case of the OP and I am facing not only the lights of the town but all the idiots coming out of town with thier fog lights and high beams on. To say I cannot see much is an understatement! Then there in the headlights suddenly appears a runner or three all dressed in BLACK!

More than once I have seen them jump for the ditch and I have had to clean my pants out at the shop!

Yes running slims you down and wearing black gives the illusion of being thinner but nothing and I mean NOTHING will make you slimmer than being rolled out on the pavement by a set of tires!
typ914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Why? Reply with quote

Here in north Ga just outside of hot Lanta we have many death wish bicyclists that always have that holier than thou attitude and we have the right of way. However like a previous poster said check your local laws. After 2 incidents a few years ago in which herds of bicyclers almost caused deadly accidents involving my wife and son, I checked local laws. Yes cyclist may have the right of way but not always. Secondly they are required to obey the traffic laws. Just like automobiles. This is where most cyclist fail miserably. Ie they must stop at stop signs and red lights. Technically one bike through a stop sign at a time not the whole herd. Share the road, obey the traffic laws.
goodsofar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Why? Reply with quote

Same problem in OK City, some runners and bikers don't use the expensive trails that have been built for them, running in the road instead.

There are hundreds of miles of suburban streets, but they choose to run on the main road, with a sidewalk 10 feet away. ggrrr
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Why? Reply with quote

goodsofar wrote:
Same problem in OK City, some runners and bikers don't use the expensive trails that have been built for them, running in the road instead.

There are hundreds of miles of suburban streets, but they choose to run on the main road, with a sidewalk 10 feet away. ggrrr

Just so you understand that most MUP (Multi Use Paths) have a 15mph speed limit. This is the ensure the safety of others such as children, elderly, dogs and so on. I ride at 17mph and avoid any paths when I know there will be others on it. so I only use them early in the morning. I've encountered children running loose, dogs off the leash, people standing in the middle of the path with strollers talking and ducks. So I can easily come around a corner and have to choose between going off the path into the bushes or hitting a child or animal.

So I avoid the MUP because it's not built for people like me, it's for "casual" riders doing 10mph.

Now I totally agree that many cyclist are irresponsible. They wear dark cloths, they cut in and out of traffic and do many "stupid" things. I've been on group rides where there's 20+ cyclists and I fully understand it can be frustrating to cars trying to pass that many. I generally avoid large groups and will drop off and go my own way. I'd say 90% of the time i ride solo, I just find it safer.

As to intersections, if there are no other cars, I do go through stop signs. If there are cars I will stop if I don't have the right of way. Many time I get eye contact with the driver and they signal for me to go through without stopping. It is illegal to have the front door windows tinted in New York but many do. If I can't see their face I assume they don't see me. Doesn't matter if I have the right of way because if I get hit having the right of way means nothing.

Cyclists need to be responsible, but so do drivers. NYS law states a car can not pass a cyclist unless they can give 3 feet of space,. On single lane roads many just push you onto the sand or completely off the pavement. Many cars tailgate, sneak up behind you and blow the horn, only stop 5 feet past the stop line at a sign and pass you only to make a right turn 10 feet in front and cut you off.

Just remember you're driving a 2 ton bullet against my 14 pound plastic bike. That's like bringing a nuclear bomb to a spit ball fight.

BTW, i have seen cyclists get tickets for going through stop signs and traffic lights. I was once pulled over for doing 35mph in a 30mph zone and got a warning.

Let's just be responsible for our own actions and respectful of others.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Why? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
iowegian wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Paging Mr. Ring Wink

Wink
[img]http://glenn-ring.com/emonda/brickwell2.jpg[
J
You should read the motor vehicle laws in your state. Generally they state that cyclists should ride as far to the right that is safe. Who determines what is safe... the cyclist.
]

I may be the only person in NJ who might know this ......

But.....

New Jersey has a "drivers manual" for Bicyclists!

I want to get cases of them and pass them out on a weekend! Even take a pile to the local police and request that they begin enforcing the rules! (And hang up THEIR CELLS PHONES WHILE THEY DRIVE!!!!!

https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/commuter/bike/pdf/bicyclingmanual.pdf

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Why? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

I may be the only person in NJ who might know this ......

But.....

New Jersey has a "drivers manual" for Bicyclists!

I want to get cases of them and pass them out on a weekend! Even take a pile to the local police and request that they begin enforcing the rules! (And hang up THEIR CELLS PHONES WHILE THEY DRIVE!!!!!

https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/commuter/bike/pdf/bicyclingmanual.pdf

Dave

Yes... and drivers should get a copy also.

Quote:
Ride Right
This means riding on the right side of the road or on the shoulder, with traffic, not against it. The law says you must ride as far to the right as practicable. This does not mean as far to the right as possible. Don’t“hug the curb” where you may not be visible to motorists. You should ride far enough out from the edge of the pavement to avoid broken uppavement edges, debris, drainage grates and standing water. Travel in a straight line; not weaving in and out of parked cars. Stay about four feet away from parked cars to avoid the possibility of having a door opened in your travel path (getting “doored”). Riding right also mean so obeying traffic signals and signs, taking and yielding right-of way appropriately and riding in a straight line.

Quote:
New Jersey traffic law accords bicyclists the same rights and responsibilities as drivers of motor vehicles.

Quote:
Therefore, the best approach is to position yourself several feet out into the lane where motorists will see you and not be invited to squeeze by in the same lane.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: