Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear luggage shelf tar board?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Rear luggage shelf tar board? Reply with quote

This black tar board (looks similar to thickness and material of what is under my front seats) is on the back of my 1967 convertible rear luggage shelf (under the carpet). I can't find this listed in the reproduction catalogs - does anyone know if this is stock, and, if so, what part it is, or how I can find a reproduction?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks!

-Harry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
don1357
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear luggage shelf tar board? Reply with quote

If you are taking it out, use modern sound dampeing material that will actually do what it was meant to do. Nobody is going to be pulling the carpet to look at it.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear luggage shelf tar board? Reply with quote

Your's looks good ... I see no reason to remove it. But if you do, Call Chuck at Chuck's Convertible Parts. If it is available, he will know.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear luggage shelf tar board? Reply with quote

Yeah ....I'd remove it carefully and check for any rust issues behind it. Clean it up (mild wire brush) ....spray it flat black, and reglue it in place. PL Premium construction adhesive works great. That should give you a 'near orginal' look ...for the carpet lifters.
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Rear luggage shelf tar board? Reply with quote

This, from Chuck:
"it is the 3 piece rear well padding we list,it has tar between the layer,that is probably what you saw when you pulled yours out."

Although, for being in the center layer, it seems certainly well attached to the metal!

- Harry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: