Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

When timed right, doesn’t run good
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: When timed right, doesn’t run good Reply with quote

71 bus

At idle if I turn the distributor so that the timing notch lines up with the case line it does not run good at all and back fires and sputters when I hit the throttle. If I turn the dizzy counter clockwise a bit it runs good but the pulley notch is about 2-3” from the center line of the case. Make sense? What do I need to tune better?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: When timed right, doesn’t run good Reply with quote

What pulley and distributor do you have?

You could have a pulley from a different year and the marks might not be correct for your distributor.

Trust me, i've seen someone with the same problem and had a pulley from a autostick which has the timing mark at 5* ATDC when his distributor needed to be timed to 7.5* BTDC.

The fact that turning it CCW sounds like you have the wrong pulley.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: When timed right, doesn’t run good Reply with quote

Post some pictures of your engine. Then post what the distributor number is you're trying to time.

There's many variables that can cause your issue. Glenn hit on a couple.

An engine photo that shows everything and listing the distributor, carb, etc will help folks guide you.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: When timed right, doesn’t run good Reply with quote

Thank you. My pulley is like the photo on bottom. I didn’t have time this morning to pull the distributor to get a number but I did get a photo. Does this port on rear of distributor need vacuum?

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: When timed right, doesn’t run good Reply with quote

busmania wrote:

It's a autostick pulley.

You can't use the timing mark.

you need a timing light that has a feather that allows you to "dial in" the advance. That way you just used the TDC dimple and set the advance on the light.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: When timed right, doesn’t run good Reply with quote

Well thats funny. Just last week my timing light with adjustable knob broke. Because I never used that adjustable knob, I bought a new one without it. If I go out and buy an adjustable, how do I time it? Do I set the knob to a certain number (20* or 30*) and then time to the notch in the pulley at the center line?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: When timed right, doesn’t run good Reply with quote

The vacuum retard does indeed need a hose , and I hope the port is closed off too.fix that broken oil sensor wire too, stat.
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: When timed right, doesn’t run good Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
The vacuum retard does indeed need a hose , and I hope the port is closed off too.fix that broken oil sensor wire too, stat.

Oil wire is on my to do list today. It’s probab why the oil light doesn’t work.

Does that port on the dizzy just get t’ed in with the port on the front?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: When timed right, doesn’t run good Reply with quote

busmania wrote:
Well thats funny. Just last week my timing light with adjustable knob broke. Because I never used that adjustable knob, I bought a new one without it. If I go out and buy an adjustable, how do I time it? Do I set the knob to a certain number (20* or 30*) and then time to the notch in the pulley at the center line?

You could just mark the pulley you already have. Use this template to mark 7.5* BTDC.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: When timed right, doesn’t run good Reply with quote

I would make a mark at 28° BTDC and then time your engine at full mechanical advance, 28°BTDC @3500+ rpms, hoses off and plugged. Once you have driven it, you could try varying it from there a few degrees and see if there is a sweet spot.
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: When timed right, doesn’t run good Reply with quote

Just to clarify. The dimple that faces the rear of the car is top dead center? Not the notch on the inner part of the pulley, correct?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: When timed right, doesn’t run good Reply with quote

busmania wrote:
Just to clarify. The dimple that faces the rear of the car is top dead center? Not the notch on the inner part of the pulley, correct?

Yes the dimple is TDC, but with your distributor you would want to time your engine to either 7.5° BTDC or preferably at 28° BTDC @3500+ prm, hoses off and plugged.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: When timed right, doesn’t run good Reply with quote

busmania wrote:
Abscate wrote:

The retArd port needs vacuum from the manifold, I think its usually from the base of the carb.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: When timed right, doesn’t run good Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
busmania wrote:
Abscate wrote:

The retArd port needs vacuum from the manifold, I think its usually from the base of the carb.

the advance / retard system was added to satisfy smog requirements. It takes a combination of the correct vacuum advance ports on the carb to properly utilize the advance and retard components. I base this on living with a 1971 California bus for many years that had that system. When the cans went bad the first one VW sold me was identical to the old one. The next one was an adjust it yourself can that Bosch replaced the older ones with. It came with a small allen head wrench and a chart on a piece of paper. One looked up their old part on the chart along with year etc., and then used the allen wrench to go into a screw inside the can to set the number of turns to make it work right. So there are many different combinations of retard and advance available. The end result is that unless a person knows that they have the correct carb and distributor can on the bus, it is best to leave the retard line off all the time, but set the timing with the advance line off to 28 - 30 degrees BTDC at 3500 RPM, or when the timing stops advancing. Once that is set and locked down then hook up the advance hose and see where it times at idle. One can then hook up the retard line and see where the timing goes. The next thing would be to goose the engine a couple times to see how well it responds to throttle advances. If it falls flat or fails to idle then I would leave the retard line off - unless I knew I had the correct carb and distributor then I would look for the cause of the falling flat. As I recall, when the 1971 was adjusted perfectly the timing would show retard at idle but the second the engine was given a little gas the timing would jump to about 7 degrees before TDC and then advance from there.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: When timed right, doesn’t run good Reply with quote

There is a very good chance that your retard can will not hold vacuum. Put a hose on the nipple and see what happens when you suck on it. You should be able to suck on it hard and then close the end of the hose off with your tongue and have it hold vacuum. If it doesn't hold vacuum then don't bother with hooking it up.
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: When timed right, doesn’t run good Reply with quote

Wow. All great info. Thanks everyone. Timing has never been my forte even though I know it’s relatively simple.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: When timed right, doesn’t run good Reply with quote

It's a DVDA distributor like everyone is talking about. With luck, it's a 211905205Q. Look at the vacuum canister arm that attaches to the breaker plate. They are usually stamped with three digits. See if yours is 853. That is the correct canister for a 205Q.

You can run it as a SVDA if you don't hook up the retard (rear side of the vacuum can). You'd time it to 7.5 BTDC at idle, then remove the vacuum hose, plug it and rev the engine to 3800 RPM and make sure it's not more than 28* BTDC.

If you hook up the retard side of the canister, you'd set the timing to 5° ATDC. The retard side of the vacuum canister typically retards the timing 11-12°. As mentioned, the retard side of the canister hooks up to manifold vacuum. So at idle, the manifold vacuum retards the timing to 5° ATDC. The advance side of the vacuum canister works on ported vacuum. You only get ported vacuum with the throttle plate open.

It's easy to see if the vacuum canister is still good. The best way is with a hand vacuum pump w/a gauge. Pump it up to 300mm hg. It should not leak down. Do this on both sides of the canister.

When I restore those DVDA distributors, I also insure the vacuum canisters are set correctly for the model of DVDA distributor. All those DVDA vacuum canisters has different advances to the retard/advance sides. They also have different vacuum amounts that start to move them. I often see the vacuum canisters off on my Sun distributor machine and have to adjust them to advance enough or adjust them so they don't advance as much. The ones that Steve is speaking to that you could adjust with tools are very rare. Most require bending things to achieve the correct specs. I had a brand new NOS Bosch 853 vacuum canister recently. Out of the box, it only had 1° of advance. It needs to have a minimum of 3° though I like them set at 4°.

The other thing to be mindful of is- if this distributor has never been apart to be cleaned, inspected and if found to be ok, re lubricated, it needs it.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: When timed right, doesn’t run good Reply with quote

Hey busmania, where are you located? You might have some carb and distributor experts down the street from you!

Robbvie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: