Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro rattle grinding whine noise. Bad VC, transaxle, diff?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro rattle grinding whine noise. Bad VC, transaxle, diff? Reply with quote

Shocked Gnarly.

Sounds like you two should win this week's/month's Vanagon commitment award.
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro rattle grinding whine noise. Bad VC, transaxle, diff? Reply with quote

Slimvest wrote:
Shocked Gnarly.

Sounds like you two should win this week's/month's Vanagon commitment award.

Haha, right! Well, we do what we gotta do I guess.
- Transaxle rebuild, Mexico paint job, Front end rebuild, 320Ah LiFePO4 Battery
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro rattle grinding whine noise. Bad VC, transaxle, diff? Reply with quote

A so called "sport VC" without any test bench data, is the last thing i would intalll into my Syncro without a decoupler.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro rattle grinding whine noise. Bad VC, transaxle, diff? Reply with quote

Apologies to Waldi for the headache medications this may require, but,,,, And for typing a book to read on your iphone....

What I would install BEFORE the first road test... Add 8 micron filtering to that expensive transaxle BEFORE it makes its first rotation.

You only have one opportunity to prevent all those new bearings from the “steel break-in trash” that will circulate thousands of times (denting the wonderful new bearings). You have the “extremely rare” opportunity to remove and capture this inevitable trash from the lubricant (almost) the moment it departs your new gears/R&P/shafts etc. BEFORE the same chunk goes thru your pinion bearing 1,000 times.

This ZERO Miles opportunity to break-in that transaxle for longest lifespan is one-time. “Soccer mom” didn’t have that opportunity and didn’t care when that van was new. But the trans was new and OEM clean PLUS she didn’t have the same problems you have (antiquity, $11,000 bill, NLA parts and (130/90=) +44% HP). Plus she didn’t have Sodo on her case Wink cuz back then,,,, Sodo was destroying transaxles without a care in the world (worried more about WBX headgaskets).

Think of your new pinion bearing (7 inch-lbs resistance set by mfr) like it is your child.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here’s a diagram with the “pinion bearing” labeled. Its similar to a front wheel bearing except much bigger, and there’s no nut to set the preload. Preload is set by the bearing manufacturer to be mashed together by the pinion nut, set at "7 inch-lbs rotating resistance when new". After break-in it probably spins “free” in its normal state.

But during break-in, there is zero clearance (actually “negative”) thus any metal particles (even 1 micron) in your lubricant going through that beautiful new bearing puts dents in the races and rollers. Bigger particles = bigger dents. Note that if a perticle is "visible" like a sparkle in the sun, it's bigger than 5 microns. Anyway, break in trash is substantially bigger than 5 microns. Like 50 microns, 100 microns, so they make big dents. And those make more sparklies (which make even more small dents). Best to capture them at first opportunity.

As good as GTA is, they cannot compare to the cleanliness of an OEM assembler with a "clean-room" using 100% new parts never been soiled. And there's new trash from break-in of new parts too. Anyway, just wanted to make sure you understood the “opportunity that sits in front of you” (Your transaxle case plumbed for circulation/filtering).

You probably know I’ve built an elaborate electronic temperature-controlled cooling system which was big project and loads of fun too. But a conclusion (of some of us) that has emerged from all this is that a hot trans gets hot because of “additive problems”. Worn out bearings, big tires, too much HP, too heavy, too fast, 5.43 & 6.17, WHERE.....drumroll....metal in the lubricant (sparkles) increase friction thus heat, and each steel particle generates MORE steel particles. More contamination all the time, the longer you run that contaminated oil. (with big tires/engine/weight/lead foot etc).

Where one prime contributor - lubricant condition - stands out as a solvable problem. Or can be mitigated by "maintenance".
Get the sh** OUT of your lubricant.
Whereas the other problems, too heavy/fast/HP etc remain unsolvable. Wink

There's also the mainshaft bearing that takes the force of 4th gear. It is nice to preserve the mainshaft bearing because it sits high above the oil level and most of the miles are in 4th gear, at high speed, near the top of the engine's torque output curve.

Anyway I’d get a pump and a Canton Racing 8micron filter filtering your lubricant before the first drive and run continuously the first 1000 miles - or more miles. Controls and/or oil cooling can be added later. Maybe add a temperature guage, it’s possible that you don’t need cooling with 130HP and sensible driving.

Some will say "a transmission is designed for that trash".
This is correct.

So what's gonna wear the transaxle out, after you remove the contamination?
And if you don't let the lubricant degrade, oxidize, turn black?

Oil coolers and lubricant filter systems provide 500,000 to million-mile lifetimes for big trucks. We can do it too.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro rattle grinding whine noise. Bad VC, transaxle, diff? Reply with quote

No need to apologize. Since long time i dont read your theoratical nonsense books.
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro rattle grinding whine noise. Bad VC, transaxle, diff? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
What I would install BEFORE the first road test... Add 8 micron filtering to that expensive transaxle BEFORE it makes its first rotation.

That does make a lot of sense! Might as well take care of it right away, especially as parts get "broken in."

With that in mind, I just started looking for terms like transmission filtering, cooling, magnets, pumps etc on The Samba... Boy, you pals are crazy syncro freaks! I love it!

But dang, that's a bit over my paycheck and/or full understanding, at least for now. I do wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment of filtering the heck out of the oil right off the bat. With that in mind, I started looking into recommended filters, pumps and even cooling fans. That's when I discovered the endless posts about porting the transmission, temperature gauges, purchased magnetic filters, self-made magnetic filters with squares, balls and other shapes I don't have words for. The amount of work and effort some of you have put into these gearbox is beyond belief and incredibly valuable.

With that said, I am now pretty confused. I haven't found a post yet that would give a clear list of parts recommended for making such a filtering system and a newbie like myself has a problem figuring out what I should get.

Thanks for the link to the 8 micron filter Sodo. Does anyone have a simple list of the parts needed for these set ups?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro rattle grinding whine noise. Bad VC, transaxle, diff? Reply with quote

Sodo is the one behind all of those posts if you haven't figured out by his enthusiasm on this thread.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro rattle grinding whine noise. Bad VC, transaxle, diff? Reply with quote

Read most things that Waldi writes, but not his opinions on lubricant contamination. His opinions contrast starkly with that of lubrication experts. Waldi has the knowledge and mental capacity to be very helpful in our quest to extend the lifetime of our transaxles but he's is like a "science denier" when it comes to lubrication.

Anyway you take what you can get, right? We are lucky that he responds very well to "other" transaxle questions and many things Vanagon.
=================

VanagonVentures wrote:
Does anyone have a simple list of the parts needed for these set ups?

I don't think there's ever been a "simple list" because the threads took time to develop the concepts. But now that things have settled out, a list might be possible.

We could start. Wink

Use 8AN fittings everywhere.
Get the Canton Racing 8micron filter and the 8AN fittings.
Get any pump you want. I like the Weddle gear pump but it's $400 and pretty big and you have to mount it. It will exchange your entire 4 qts transaxle volume every 30 seconds. You don't NEED that much flow, but that ensures the pump is not even breaking a sweat. But the high flow will remove break-in trash quickly. I have herd of a few problems with the diaphragm pumps.

Someone needs to test these $63 pumps on Amazon:
Heavy Duty Rear Mount Oil Gear Pump 12V DC 3.2 GPM Scavenge
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H1OAUIY

I would NOT be surprised if the Weddle pump is the same one (with a "cooling fins" wrap). The Weddle pump doesn't get hot so maybe the cooling fins are just bling. Get 8AN fittings for it.

Hook it all up with simple push-on fittings and rubber oil-hose. Its less than 20 psi, don't need anything hi-pressure.
Use a relay so the pump turns on as soon as the engine starts. NOT as soon as you switch the key on. I don't know what wire to use to trigger the relay, but lots of people on the forum know, and can help. You will want a switch so the pump doesn't run when it's 30°F outside. But for now, the break-in you want it pumping/filtering "often" if not 100%.

So for now:
    pump
    8AN Fittings
    1/2" rubber oil hose
    Canton 8 micron filter
    Relay
    Master switch

Later when your checkbook cools down, you can add switches, controls, guages, magnets and goo-gaws.
The magnets are because you can't easily filter below 8 microns. But ball bearings prefer filtering to smaller than 3 microns. So the magnets help to hold onto the real small particles.
If the temp guage shows your trans running hotter than you prefer in the summertime, then add a cooler.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro rattle grinding whine noise. Bad VC, transaxle, diff? Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Sodo is the one behind all of those posts if you haven't figured out by his enthusiasm on this thread.

I did notice! It’s pretty incredible.

Sodo wrote:
I don't think there's ever been a "simple list" because the threads took time to develop the concepts. But now that things have settled out, a list might be possible.

We could start. Wink

So for now
    pump
    Fittings
    Hoses
    Canton filter
    Relay
    Master switch

Later when your checkbook cools down, you can add switches, controls, guages, magnets and goo-gaws.
If the temp guage shows your trans running hotter than you prefer in the summertime, then add a cooler.

Thanks for the resources and tips Sodo, it’s super helpful especially for newbs. There might be an opportunity for a sticky resource post/thread!

Now I have to add stuff to our purchase list. Of course, while all of this is out, might as well do much more but dang, where do you stop Razz
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro rattle grinding whine noise. Bad VC, transaxle, diff? Reply with quote

VanagonVentures wrote:
...Now I have to add stuff to our purchase list. Of course, while all of this is out, might as well do much more but dang, where do you stop Razz

I think that it’s just prior to bankruptcy or divorce.

Personally, I’m hoping I will acknowledge either senario....but we’ll see. Those syncro goggles are pretty hard to put down Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro rattle grinding whine noise. Bad VC, transaxle, diff? Reply with quote

VanagonVentures wrote:
Of course, while all of this is out, might as well do much more but dang, where do you stop Razz

Another way to look at your situation.
First of all an EJ22 is not out of control (over-engining). Wink
Secondly you opted at significant expense already, to get all new, top quality gears, 100% !

Since you have all new bearings, gears, shafts, R&P your trans "should" break in then “run clean” for a long time. More like a new trans, right? They run a long time. There could be a long period where your trans, being all-new doesn't 'need' it. But it has to help some, to remove every particle quickly.

Your trans is not the same as the “rebuilt” that has a mix of new with some 300k parts. Which one of those old parts will start shedding metal after 20,000 miles, polluting the lubricant, taking down the bearings and starting that chain reaction of increasing pollution? An ongoing filtration system would reduce the bearing damage and "possibly" extend the life of a rebuilt.

Onoard filtration is another “system” to maintain. There is no "Bentley chapter" in your manual telling you or your mechanic how to maintain it. You must be the king of this mod (like an engine conversion).

======= so here's an idea to get over the 'break-in' hump ========

Maybe get the $63 pump, and a filter block and make a “garage dialysis machine” that you just attach in your garage periodically to purify your transaxle lubricant (without draining it). Filter "hot" when you get home from a drive. 5 minutes pumping is about 10x thru the filter. Can do it every day the first few hundred miles. If you choose a type of filter that you can look at, then when you notice the crud subsiding, you do it less, or even quit. The idea being that you get your more longevity at the 'far end' by reducing the break-in damage in the beginning.

Here's the "bathtub curve" from Lubrication Journal that can be analogous to self-generated lubricant pollution in a closed-system lubricated gearbox.

This makes it easier to discuss why filtration is more important in the beginning (new) and towards the end. And you can see how a MFR can build a gearbox for a good solid mid-range even if assaulted by the break-in trash. So if you remove the break-in trash, your midrange is extended. Right?

Its a different level of cleanliness, not on-going. It doesn't remove every “chunk” immediately,,, but you still can call it an “obsessive method”. It has to influence transaxle longevity.

Anyway, you can "probably increase longevity" somewhat for about $100.
And the other way..... $100 buys about six oil changes of FLAPS GL-5. You just keep it up, until no sparklies. Then you're smooth sailing in the middle of the bathtub. At that point you choose your specialty oil.

But of course I'd filter that thing to the gnat's testicle.... Laughing

Last edited by Sodo on Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro rattle grinding whine noise. Bad VC, transaxle, diff? Reply with quote

Alright, let me know if I'm in the right track. Here's a mixture of what was suggested and others that I found so far (prices as of date of posting, I'll update with more items as they are suggested):

12V gear pump options:
Weddle Industries 9-PUMP3 - $399
I don't know the specs but Sodo said it'd go through 4qts in 30 seconds so I imagine it's a 2GPM heavy duty pump that's described as oversized. It's rather large and needs to be mounted
Flow Rate: 2 GPM?
Ports: AN-8 male
Amps: ?
Dimensions: ?

Amazon Heavy Duty Rear Mount Oil Gear Pump 12V DC 3.2 GPM Scavenge Replace STS - $63.80
Untested by our amazing syncro nuts but on reviewer said "Pumps great. Works great. Loud as #$&@." Potentially the same guts as the Weddle pump, without the cooling fins (though the GPMs would be different). Probably the same size as the Weddle pump
Flow Rate: 3.2 GPM
Ports: 3/8" Female JIC
Amps: 7A 12v @ 0PSI
Dimensions: Length 6.25" / Motor Diameter: 3" / Base: 3"x4"

Amazon Electric Oil Scavenge Gear Pump Remote Turbo Rear Mount Return Line 12 Volts - 198.95
Much smaller pump with smaller flow rate (would still exchange the entire 4qts in less than a minute), less draw and described as pretty quiet. One reviewer was worried about temperature specs but other people don't seem worried about that.
Flow Rate: 1.3 GPM
Ports: 3/8" Male NPT
Amps: 5A 12v @ 0PSI
Dimensions: Length: 4.75" Motor Diameter: 2" Base: 2.5" x 4"

There are many other comparable pumps around...

Filter options:
Canton Racing CM Inline Oil Filters 25-101]Canton Racing CM Inline Oil Filters 25-101 - $122
Filter size: 8 microns (6-pack filter refill)
Ports: 1/2" Female NPT
Dimensions: Length: 6" Diameter: 2.75"

Can fuel filters work with different inner elements as long as they fit? There are a bunch of options for pretty cheap though they aren't described as oil filters.
Aeormotive also makes 10 micron filters though they are described as fuel filters.

Magnetic inline filters
TurboWerx Exa-Pure™ Magnetic 100µ Inline Filter - $79
3/8NPT ports+AN adapters

Magnefine 3/8" Magnetic Inline Transmission/Power Steering Filter - $25.95
Basic inline magnetic filter. Filters oil down to 25 micron and claims 3 micron for ferrous particles. Arguably disposable. Doesn't look like it can be opened to check for shavings.

Magnom Mini - In-line Magnetic Filter for lines up to .5" - Filter Ferrous Particles from Engine/Hydraulic Oil and Diesel Fuel - $119.99
Seems like the best option (and most expensive). SAE-8 female port (different than AN-8?)

Other items
1/2 hoses, temperature sensors, AN-8 fittings, relays and switches are pretty straight forward.

Full customizable kits:
Driftmotion Manual Transmission Oil Cooler Kit - starting at $299
$414.99 with pump, 240 micron filter, thermal switch, a couple AN-6 fittings but no oil cooler.

===============

Sodo wrote:

This makes a lot of sense. Shifting our viewpoint to consider this transmission as an "investment" is key. Whether filtering the break-in period gives use another 100,000 miles of use or just 50 miles, might as well be safe. The point being that, as is obvious, nobody has been able to directly and 100% link failures to a lack for filtering. However it would seem to be common sense (if "common sense" can even be used when talking about syncros) to filter out whatever could potentially damage this NLA and expensive piece of equipment, whether there is tangible proof or not of significant benefits (I believe it's beneficial and certainly can't hurt!).

Last edited by T3TRIS on Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro rattle grinding whine noise. Bad VC, transaxle, diff? Reply with quote

Here's a gearbox oil cooler/filter kit, it's marketed for a Toyota but should work.
https://www.driftmotion.com/Driftmotion-Manual-Transmission-Oil-Cooler-Kit-p/dm3561.htm

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro rattle grinding whine noise. Bad VC, transaxle, diff? Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Here's a gearbox oil cooler/filter kit, it's marketed for a Toyota but should work.
https://www.driftmotion.com/Driftmotion-Manual-Transmission-Oil-Cooler-Kit-p/dm3561.htm

Sweet, thanks. I added it to the list
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro rattle grinding whine noise. Bad VC, transaxle, diff? Reply with quote

MsTaboo that's interesting.....

Don't see a lot of transmission filter kits out there.
Note what the Driftmotion fellers say about filtering:

We offer a special 240 micron filter designed specifically for thicker gear oils. It has a washable stainless steel filter element. A normal 100 micron filter designed for fuel will cause too much back pressure on the pump, and clog up much too quickly, which could overheat and damage the pump

Driftmotion needs to read Machinery Lubrication.
240 micron? 100 micron? Can you say "bug screen"?

Oil film thickness is appx 1/2 to 1 micron thick, for ball bearings. The "Machinery Lubrication" fellers recommend 3 microns for roller bearings and gears. 3 microns is difficult/expensive to attain. They say it's ideal to filter to less than oil film thickness, but that's almost impossible. The 8 micron filter from Canton is about the best I've seen.

But 240 or 100 micron? That's not a filter, mate.

Curious what kind of trouble that Mocal pump has pumping thru the 100 micron filter. I'm running a 10 micron filter, and the Weddle pump doesn't even get warm. If those guys are plugging their filter they should try filtering finer, so their trash doesn't generate even more trash.

"Theoretically"...... once the break-in trash is captured, and deleted, one filter element should last the lifetime of the transmission. Right?

......we don't know this (yet).

MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro rattle grinding whine noise. Bad VC, transaxle, diff? Reply with quote

Yeah I saw that, figured they meant 10 and 24, not 100 and 240. Would need to call to verify.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro rattle grinding whine noise. Bad VC, transaxle, diff? Reply with quote

Waldi wrote:
A so called "sport VC" without any test bench data, is the last thing i would intalll into my Syncro without a decoupler.

I have the "sport" VC from German Transaxle. It works wonderfully. Much smoother than my worn out original VC. No need for decoupler it drives perfectly.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro rattle grinding whine noise. Bad VC, transaxle, diff? Reply with quote

I'd be comfortable with a 240 micron draw-through pre-filter (placed between my bellhousing outlet and the electric pump). After the pump goes the Canton + Magnon, and then a cooler (if used).
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro rattle grinding whine noise. Bad VC, transaxle, diff? Reply with quote

[quote="Steve Arndt"]
Waldi wrote:
I have the "sport" VC from German Transaxle. It works wonderfully. Much smoother than my worn out original VC. No need for decoupler it drives perfectly.

That's good to hear!

gears wrote:
I'd be comfortable with a 240 micron draw-through pre-filter (placed between my bellhousing outlet and the electric pump). After the pump goes the Canton + Magnon, and then a cooler (if used).

If there is an 8 micron filter after the pump, wouldn't the 240 micron one be redundant? I guess it'd catch big stuff and keep the other one clean? Just seems like we'd be adding a lot of piping and connections where leaks could happen.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro rattle grinding whine noise. Bad VC, transaxle, diff? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

Get the Canton Racing 8micron filter and the 8AN fittings.

Just out of curiosity I contacted Canton about the using of their filters for transmission oil. This was the reply I got this morning from Bob Vaughn of Canton:

"Hi,
All the filters Canton makes are for fuel and motor oil. We don't make any for Manuel transmission oil. I would be worried that the oil is too thick for our elements to pass."

So if the filter is not passing the oil it's just being bypassed by the relief valve right?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: