Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 Custom German Look
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

My antenna is the same. I would imagine your location will be better for reception and will be a clean way to repurpose a hole you wont be using.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

HVAC repairman coming tomorrow so I had to take her off the jackstands to move out the way. Thought I’d take a few shots to get an idea of the profile and ride height. Should sit just right once the engine is back in.
Where did all that dust come from?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GreeneHoosier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

Looks awesome. Stance should be right on with the engine in. Love the updates! ETA on it moving under its own power?
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

GreeneHoosier wrote:
Looks awesome. Stance should be right on with the engine in. Love the updates! ETA on it moving under its own power?

If I’m lucky sometime late February/ early March. Need a set of CB Wedgeports or equivalent to finish the 2332. In the meantime:
*finish interior
*turn signals/park lights mounted in bumper
*finish rear bumper
*flush mounted front/rear windows
*mount aux Setrap oil cooler
*any other ideas I can come up with or feedback from fellow Samba members
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

DerrickfromNC1 wrote:
Buggeee wrote:
Where did you mount the GPS antenna? I'm pondering on where to put mine and am leaning towards outside on a front bumper bracket.

p.s. the tank is too sexy for its shirt.

The gps antenna is a small block about an 1” square and 3/8” thick. Since I will not be installing the windshield wiper spray nozzle(at least for the time being) I will mount the antenna over the spray nozzle opening with the antenna hard line coming up thru that hole.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09X44D97L?pd_rd_i=B09X4...e39997c0e2

The bumper mounted option may in the end be better??

Looks like installing the GPS antenna over the windshield wiper spray hole is not an option since the end is too large to fit thru the hole.

Is anyone familiar enough with a GPS antenna line to know if it can be cut and spliced back together or if that would turn my $80 GPS guage into junk?
Thanks!
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

Yep. Show it if you've got it.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

Made some brackets along with a set of exhaust clamps to mount a Setrab oil cooler to the torsion housing. I’m wiring the fan directly to a dash mounted fused toggle switch.

Combined with the factory doghouse I shouldn’t have any problems keeping oil temps on a 2332 turbo in the 190 - 210 range.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

Laughing That Sir depends on how Much You Boost ,On the drive Wink I just back off an Cruise for a Mile or two temps come back down Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

Looking at different turn signal/park light options to install turn in bumper.

DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

Elegant solution.

The mesh ties to the carbon fibre as well.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Elegant solution.

The mesh ties to the carbon fibre as well.

The mesh came from Home Depot. A 3’ section of gutter topper…think I paid about $6.00 for it.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

Weather will be in the mid 60s next week in time to finish and paint both front and rear bumpers

I think this style spoiler might work. I have a spare decklid and some foam. Gonna try and chisel a smaller version. Will mount it midway down the decklid so that the decklid will fully open w/o hitting the body.

This version is to big for my liking
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

Getting ready to start on my suspension/chassis upgrades.

Went thru my parts bin and discovered that I had purchased a rear swaybar about 20yrs ago that I had long forgotten. There are numerous opinions on whether I should use a rear swaybar, versus camber compensator, vs limiting straps. I will find out soon it helps or hurts….hoping for the best possible handling for a swingaxle bug.
Waiting for the mailman to deliver my FastFab Truss bar. Unfortunately I will have to purchase a standard starter since the Truss bar will not fit with my Bosch SR17 automatic starter.

DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

Spent last 2 weeks doing the COVID quarantine thing….no energy to go to the garage and even look at my bug much less turn a wrench. Got a bunch of suspension parts to install and also push-lok oil fittings to plumb my motor for oil filter and aux oil cooler.

Final design on my no sew door panel!

DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

Wife and I took Bugzilla out on its 1st drive in almost 25yrs to get breakfast….only a couple miles. Performed well using a friends backup 1600. Cutoff b4 we made it out the driveway…. I guess it helps to remember to turn on the electric fuel pump!

Some issues to be resolved:
Difficult shifting….need to replace 200k plus mile shifter bushing & adjust shifter
Excessive noise in passenger compartment due to cutting out a portion of the back wall to engine comp.
Add front air shocks to raise front about 1”
Minor oil leak I can live with until I finish my motor

It was a pleasant surprise to see that all my gauges are working but my new VDO tach seems to be reading low. I’ll have to check and see if there is some kind of switch for 4,6, or 8 cylinders.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

Applause Applause Applause
Fantastic. I have been watching your build since I signed up to these forums in 2015.

Finally, a pic of your car out in the wild. Congratulations, job well done.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Custom German Look Reply with quote

I was also worried that my 4 wheel disc brakes with the front Porsche 996 4-piston calipers would be more than a stock MC could handle. Happy to say that the pedal feel was firm with just the right amount of travel. Looking forward to some test braking from 50-70mph.
Bad news is that the left side of the loaner motor left a palm size puddle of oil on my shop floor. Adjustable SCAT pushrods are leaking at the head and not at the 2 piece seam. Looks like the pushrod is not seated squarely to the head. Very difficult to adjust with the motor in the car but I will make an attempt.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: