Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Static angle of ball joint beam
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inter911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Static angle of ball joint beam Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me the correct, stock static angle of a front ball joint beam? The top is angled back and I have heard 3 degrees, 7 degrees or 10 degrees. Which is correct for a stock car? Thanks in advance.
gorbur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Static angle of ball joint beam Reply with quote

I have 3.5 degrees negative (top leans toward rear). From what i understand this should relate to a wheel caster of about the same if not more. Its stock suspension other than front/rear antisway bars. I'm getting close to having it ready for a alignment and will post the actual when i get it.
I also checked my ghia and its about the same.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Static angle of ball joint beam Reply with quote

Well...if this is for a Beetle...the castor (which is what you are asking about) from the "book" (without guesswork) lists 3° 20’ +/- 1°....and of course that is "positive castor"...so as mentioned that means looking from the side, the top of the beam rakes toward the rear.

But..from experience....I can tell you that the tolerance they list....a +/- of 1°...is to much allowable "minus". You would rather have a tolerance like this:

3° 20’ +1° -0°. You do not want castor less than 3°.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Inter911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Static angle of ball joint beam Reply with quote

Thanks guys. That's what I was looking for.
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Static angle of ball joint beam Reply with quote

For a safe car at highway speeds and above you need to increase caster. Lowering the front usually takes away caster so you have to be even more aware. 40 years ago, as a very young man my main transport was a Cal Look bug. Between the select a drop and 135's the front was lowered 4 1/2- 5"; even at 60 mph the car was a bit of a handful; I knew nothing about caster then. The 1 time I took it up to over 100 mph a side gust blew me half way into the next lane before I could react. Only stayed up there for a moment, and then never again.

I own a Speedster replica now, am active on SOC (Speedsterowners.com) and almost every car owner active on the forum runs more than stock caster, some as much as 6 or 7 degrees. If you're going to drive this car (and by drive I mean not just to the show field and back home) at all, increase caster to 4-5 degrees. The caster shims made by Berg (and others) are cheap and easy to install.
http://www.geneberg.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=caster&x=7&y=8

As usual, just my 2 1/2 cents (I'm Canadian, eh). Al

Edit- Gene has more to say in his catalogs but here's what I found online-
http://www.geneberg.com/cat.php?cPath=12_384_2917
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Static angle of ball joint beam Reply with quote

When I first built my drag buggy. I built a beam and installed adjusters. Slammed the front as low as it would go and installed one set of shims. Never measured or knew about caster. After doing a 80mph 180 on the track. I found I was at zero degrees of caster.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Static angle of ball joint beam Reply with quote

From the book "Chassis Engineering" by Herb Adams.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

With dune buggies (I know, not stock beetle) we find up to 7° of positive caster helps driving/handling immensely... specially with shortened and lowered chassis...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Static angle of ball joint beam Reply with quote

I modified the frame head to give me 14 degrees. I could do 115mph with one hand.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: