Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

when your spouse leaves....
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: when your spouse leaves.... Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: when your spouse leaves.... Reply with quote

https://jalopnik.com/do-not-wash-greasy-car-parts-in-your-dishwasher-1770250614

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: when your spouse leaves.... Reply with quote

Popcorn

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: when your spouse leaves.... Reply with quote

It's a good thing you have Westies, as you will likely soon be living in the proverbial van down by the proverbial river ...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: when your spouse leaves.... Reply with quote

At my last house I had a spare dishwasher set up in my workshop area. It worked fairly well. I certainly wouldn't use the 'house' dishwasher whether or not my spouse was around.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: when your spouse leaves.... Reply with quote

it's fine, they were clean.... soda/walnut shell blasted, degreased, just removing valve guide honing grit.

for the astute observer, these are from the WBX-6 120 degree radial engine. 1/3 decendant of the of the Pratt & Whitney R-2800 Double Wasp!

www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: when your spouse leaves.... Reply with quote

Ya it's better to use the old appliances, I call it giving them a second life when the new appliances get purchased.
The best is the old stove for baking freshly painted parts.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: when your spouse leaves.... Reply with quote

yup. new valve guides inserted after heating in a re-purposed apartment stove/oven running off a 20lb propane bottle in the garage. did a Porketta in the morning, heads in the afternoon.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: when your spouse leaves.... Reply with quote

Wellington wrote:
Ya it's better to use the old appliances, I call it giving them a second life when the new appliances get purchased.

I use an old bbq grill for painting and heat-wrenching.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: when your spouse leaves.... Reply with quote

You young guys think marital bliss is physical when it's really a hatch to pass the cylinder heads through to the tune of " pop these in the washer for me, sweetheart?"
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: when your spouse leaves.... Reply with quote

Don't put anything with anodised aluminium in the dishwasher - the sodium hydroxide in the detergent will strip the anodising.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: when your spouse leaves.... Reply with quote

Wellington wrote:

I pick them up for free from kitchen renos often in perfect shape. I scrap them for cash if they don't work
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: when your spouse leaves.... Reply with quote

I find the dryer to be a little rough on parts.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: when your spouse leaves.... Reply with quote

alaskadan wrote:
I find the dryer to be a little rough on parts.

Isn’t tumble-drying essentially the same as shot-peening?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: when your spouse leaves.... Reply with quote

Ovens are great for curing paint, best the wife be gone for a couple of days though.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: when your spouse leaves.... Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Ovens are great for curing paint, best the wife be gone for a couple of days though.

Unless the MIL lives 3 doors away.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: when your spouse leaves.... Reply with quote

Such a strange concept. Maybe it's all in jest (hard to tell with just text). My spouse and I have a mutually supportive and respectful relationship. We actually like each other and I'd like to keep it that way. I don't try to 'hide' things from her or do things behind her back. That's just messed up. I don't see why anyone would want to live that way. There generally isn't anything I'd want to do 'in the house' that she wouldn't support and if there were, then I simply wouldn't do it 'in the house' out of respect. The thought of eating off dishes with residual car oil is downright disgusting. The thought of stinking up the house with baking paint fumes is revolting.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: when your spouse leaves.... Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
Such a strange concept. Maybe it's all in jest (hard to tell with just text). My spouse and I have a mutually supportive and respectful relationship. We actually like each other and I'd like to keep it that way. I don't try to 'hide' things from her or do things behind her back. That's just messed up. I don't see why anyone would want to live that way. There generally isn't anything I'd want to do 'in the house' that she wouldn't support and if there were, then I simply wouldn't do it 'in the house' out of respect. The thought of eating off dishes with residual car oil is downright disgusting. The thought of stinking up the house with baking paint fumes is revolting.

I have cured paint on parts in the oven and it was neither stinky or disgusting. I would also put sandblasted and degreased parts in the dishwasher like the OP if I thought they would get a decent clean without damaging them. Excellent brownie points if your wife reads this but you need to relax a little.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: when your spouse leaves.... Reply with quote

Heh, I don't know what she is putting in her dish washer or oven now, but the minute my then spouse and now eX-spouse became that, she drove out the driveway with the Westy, and I know she didn't check the rear view mirror.

And, no, it wasn't because I put VW parts in the oven or dishwasher. Maybe if I had, she wouldn't be my eX..
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: when your spouse leaves.... Reply with quote

old stove is in the garage, no stinking the house.
Now let me go outside to fart.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: